How to deal with opinionated family members

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  242
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,553
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

My grandma or aunt spilled the info of my being pregnant. Everyone knows now. Im showing so they'd know when I walk up to them. 

Thats one issue, telling my business when I myself am not saying anything.  

Then , like today, i had to stay with my grandma because the AC went out in our place and it was 98 degrees in our house.. So it wasnt safe to sleep in. Anywho, my grandma thought I was sleep and proceeded to go into the living room to talk about me to her sister in the livingroom. 

Saying things like how Id have to take care of the kid by myself, how my child needs the father's last name (we aren't married) and my choice to wait to tell him about the baby isn't right ..

My aunt even said it's disrespectful. All these people personally came over just tell me how wrong I am.. Any other day they don't call or text or visit.. As soon as they knew I was pregnant they had to come see the trainwreck for themselves.. 

It would have been easy to cover this up, some would know what I mean, then no one would be able to say anything to me..but i love my baby more than them.. 

Its just funny-- the only thing about pregnancy..wel oow pregnancy is that my sin is visible ...where as others are not.. That's the only difference between me and them. Yet they still act like Im just wrong. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.99
  • Days Won:  21

Well, Mary the mother of Yeshua was heavy with child before Joseph wed her. It seems that God really does not care about stuff we get messed up with. Look at His first two kids - a total disaster.

Distance yourself from those that would judge you. They might even be jealous as well, but family schamily is a royal pain from time to time. You will survive and the little life you have is a precious gift. Get away from the detractors because otherwise baby will get upset in the womb when you are.

It does not take very much effort to point the finger, but actually helping you and being a friend - well that would be just too much for their small minds to cope with, or even imagine.

Stay cool and stay thankful. God always has a plan as He is never surprised at what we get up to.

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  1

If you’re showing, I wouldn’t be too angry at grandma and auntie for telling the truth. Bless you sweetheart!

• Loved it! 1

1 minute ago, Kristin said:

If you’re showing, I wouldn’t be too angry at grandma and auntie for telling the truth. Bless you sweetheart!

Im confused..

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.99
  • Days Won:  21

23 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

Im confused..

You might feel that you get conflicting messages. Just do not worry and get all in a tizzy over it. Your hormones are going nuts right now, so what you need is a cool rational space to get used to it all. It don't really matter a hill of beans what folk say so be careful what you allow yourself to take on board. Just know that you are precious in God's eyes and He has a GOOD plan for your life and for baby too. Chill. Get cool and don't sweat the small stuff and small minds.

• Loved it! 1

1 hour ago, Circuit said:

I've dealt with family gossip myself, which is funny, considering I haven't seen nor spoken to the vast majority of them since I was still in the single digits. They don't talk to me or invite me to their holidays. Why would you talk about me as if you know me or my situation? I don't want anything to do with my extended family. There are bonds deeper than blood, and I consider them "relatives" rather than family.

If I were you though, i'd just let them talk. People can say what they want, but their say-so doesn't make it true. If it does get to a bothersome point though, yeah, you could consider just cutting them out of your life. If they can't mind their own business, then they don't need to be in yours. That's how I see it, at least.

I wish i could like this a million times. My sentiments exactly.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

Im confused..

I wasn’t being mean. My point was everyone is going to know sooner or later. That’s all I was saying. I also think you shouldn’t be angry with them. People talk. God has good plans for us. Take care. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

Just keep your family, yourself and your unborn child in your prayers. 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

I'd try not to take their gossip of you too seriously. Some do get offended at wrong doings and pull away from their loved ones but generally there's still great value in keeping family ties as strong as possible. I heard it said once that as a Christian when people do as wrong which normally would give us offense, it can be a good opportunity to practice the unconditional love of God in us. Many times our family members still very much love us but they get bored and start yapping about anything. I seek to take that into consideration. When people hurt us they really don't need to be hurt back. They need what we've got. The love of God that's in us. It's not easy to always walk in love but it the thing that unravels and does away with anger and strife. All strength and peace to you in Jesus Name.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

1 minute ago, Rockson said:

I'd try not to take their gossip of you too seriously. Some do get offended at wrong doings and pull away from their loved ones but generally there's still great value in keeping family ties as strong as possible. I heard it said once that as a Christian when people do us  wrong which normally would give us offense, it can be a good opportunity to practice the unconditional love of God in us. Many times our family members still very much love us but they get bored and start yapping about anything. I seek to take that into consideration. When people hurt us they really don't need to be hurt back. They need what we've got. The love of God that's in us. It's not easy to always walk in love but it is the thing that unravels and does away with anger and strife. All strength and peace to you in Jesus Name.

Edited by Rockson