Sign in to follow this  
Circuit

Never ever write a love letter

Let me tell you all a story.

I was young at the time, and there was this girl I rather liked. We really hadn't had any conversations or anything; it's just that she was cute and seemed pleasant enough. I crushed hard, but as it was, I was far too scared and nervous to approach her, much less talk to her. How could I, without speaking to her, get my feelings out there? According to the movies and the shows, it was a love letter. 

Looking back, of what little of it I can recall, It was hasty and stupid. I think I wrote something like, "Your eyes are like the deep sea, dark and beautiful" - cheesy poetic nonsense, you know? Of note, I made certain to not sign my name and instead wrote "secret admirer," because I was far too nervous of her knowing who I was; low self-esteem and all that. Then, just as well, I didn't think of what she could do so she could even show interest. I didn't write something like, "if you're interested, pull on your nose twice" or "return this note to locker number ____". So it was basically pointless, a "hey I like you" and nothing more. We had to do a group project, and so she ended up leaving her desk. Seeing my chance, I walked by her desk acting like I was going to blow my nose, but dropped the letter on her chair stealthfully as I passed. 

The end of class came near, and the last five minutes of class were spent waiting by the door to leave. I got to the door first, as always. I saw her approach her desk, and she picked up the letter and read it. She looked confused, and started flipping it around like she was looking for a name. When she couldn't find one, she holds it up and shouts, "WHO WROTE THIS?"

Everyone is class turns around and looks at her. My heart is in my throat. I develop an instant 5 layers of sweat. I could swear I lost color, and I started shaking a little.

"WHO WROTE THIS LETTER?" She shouts again. Many of the students are gathering around and reading the letter. My letter. My terrible and horrible confession. A few are laughing and i'm dying on the inside.

I was lucky that she didn't find it until the end of class. The bell rang and I was like the roadrunner. Poof! Gone. I didn't even wait for it to stop ringing, I just booked it. I don't know if they ever found out that it was me, and I never heard anything through the grapevine, but do I ever hope they never found out. The embarrassment was enough that I couldn't bring myself to confess to her directly, and it turned out for the best - I realized later that it was a passing fancy; the crush was just a crush.

• Loved it! 2

Interesting. In my case, I was at my 25 year high school reunion and recently kicked out of my own home without cause. I met a woman that I had gone to school with but never dated. After our getting to know each other (she had also been recently dumped by her husband) by talking for, literally, hours, she gave me her address (no phone) and flew back to her home in South Dakota. 

I wrote her a two page "love letter" from the heart. She later said that as she read it she had to sit down because she was about to collapse. That was followed by 850 "love letter" emails ans $3,500 in long distance calls. Our divorces were finalized, she flew back out to Seattle to visit. I proposed, and we were married 10 months after the reunion. 

That was 21 years ago. We are still married in a relationship that I can only call "like a fairy tale". That is, sometimes they really DO live happily ever after. :D

Started by a hand written love letter in 1997.

On 7/10/2019 at 9:19 AM, Circuit said:

I was young at the time, and there was this girl I rather liked. We really hadn't had any conversations or anything; it's just that she was cute and seemed pleasant enough. I crushed hard, but as it was, I was far too scared and nervous to approach her, much less talk to her. How could I, without speaking to her, get my feelings out there? According to the movies and the shows, it was a love letter. 

Looking back, of what little of it I can recall, It was hasty and stupid. I think I wrote something like, "Your eyes are like the deep sea, dark and beautiful" - cheesy poetic nonsense, you know? Of note, I made certain to not sign my name and instead wrote "secret admirer," because I was far too nervous of her knowing who I was; low self-esteem and all that. Then, just as well, I didn't think of what she could do so she could even show interest. I didn't write something like, "if you're interested, pull on your nose twice" or "return this note to locker number ____". So it was basically pointless, a "hey I like you" and nothing more. We had to do a group project, and so she ended up leaving her desk. Seeing my chance, I walked by her desk acting like I was going to blow my nose, but dropped the letter on her chair stealthfully as I passed. 

The end of class came near, and the last five minutes of class were spent waiting by the door to leave. I got to the door first, as always. I saw her approach her desk, and she picked up the letter and read it. She looked confused, and started flipping it around like she was looking for a name. When she couldn't find one, she holds it up and shouts, "WHO WROTE THIS?"

Everyone is class turns around and looks at her. My heart is in my throat. I develop an instant 5 layers of sweat. I could swear I lost color, and I started shaking a little.

"WHO WROTE THIS LETTER?" She shouts again. Many of the students are gathering around and reading the letter. My letter. My terrible and horrible confession. A few are laughing and i'm dying on the inside.

I was lucky that she didn't find it until the end of class. The bell rang and I was like the roadrunner. Poof! Gone. I didn't even wait for it to stop ringing, I just booked it. I don't know if they ever found out that it was me, and I never heard anything through the grapevine, but do I ever hope they never found out. The embarrassment was enough that I couldn't bring myself to confess to her directly, and it turned out for the best - I realized later that it was a passing fancy; the crush was just a crush.

Everyone has feelings. You admired this girl. I do not think your words were "cheesy" I think they were lovely. You were pouring out your heart to this person. People are insensitive and that is the description I would give this girl. I don't think she was worth the paper you wrote the note on. 

On 7/10/2019 at 11:19 AM, Circuit said:

Awww....what a tender story of those first days of the hard crushes.  You wrote that so well.  I enjoyed reading it.  

Sign in to follow this