IGNORED

Is God telling me I can't listen to rock music?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Greetings, I'm new here. As you may already know if you've read the title, my doubt is: is God telling me I can't listen to rock music?

I already had wonder if rock music is inherently sinful or not before, so I already had investigated about the subject and had already prayed to the Lord for answers, and I had got to the conclusion that it's not sinful only if the song doesn't glorify sin, therefore that doubt has faded away that time. I want to point out that in the moment I had this doubt (before it rose again) I had abstained from listening to rock music.

But now that doubt rose again (as I said before) because in short, after that doubt had faded, and I began to listen to rock music again, my health started to worsen forma a while (today I'm fine, thank God). Maybe it's just a coincidence. But I'm not so sure about that. So, since that time, the doubt rose again and I started to ask to myself "and if this is happening to me because listening to rock music is a sin and God is warning me...?" so, I started to ask God again to reveal me if this was happening to me because rock music is inherently sinful (regardless of whether it's christian or not). I asked Him this question several times. Sometimes I felt an ache after asking Him this question (maybe this is just a coincidence too). I felt a soft headache after I listened to a christian rock music yesterday at night. (Maybe this is a coincidence too and there's nothing wrong with that song. It doesn't has sinful lyrics).

Sometimes when, after asking Him [this question] again, I requested Him to answer me throught Scripture's passages, and next opened up the Bible at a random page and read the passage (or just a portion of it) that my eyes first find. Sometimes I would find passages related to worship (e.g. Psalm 105); sometimes others related to repetance and God's mercy; and sometimes others related to happiness. I'm not even 100% sure if God was really speaking to me throught the words of these passages.

Honestly, I'm confused. I really like rock music and I don't listen to rock music that have an anti-Christian message.

But, I don't want to offend the Lord if listening to that kind of music is a sin. But, if it's not a sin and God wasn't telling me it's sinful, I would not want to avoid this music I like to listen thinking it's a sin to listen to it when it would be not (if it's not sinful)

So, is God telling me I can't listen to it? Or maybe this happened to me for other reasons (maybe He just wanted to test me...?) and He never told me that?

And, a question to those christians who likes to listen to rock music too: have you gone through what happened to me? Or by a similar case?

By the way, if some things I've said are almost unintelligible, it's because I don't handle a professional english. Sorry if that's the case. Spanish's my native language.

God bless you all.

Edited by ColorfulBlossoming
Typos.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

I asked my pastor that question and he gave me the same answer that God had given me.  So I think it is true.  It is like food laws.  It may be fine for you but it may cause someone else to stumble.  So if you are convinced it is OK for you, you are free to listen to it (but not too loud and go deaf).  However, it might be best to do it by yourself.  Some people used to do drugs and drink to rock and it brings back the old life to them.  It is wrong for them.  So you should avoid it around those people who came out of that life.  Like you I believe that it is the lyrics that makes the difference.   This is the Scripture that God gave me.

Rom 14:13  Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.

Rom 14:14  I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean.

Rom 14:15  For if your brother is grieved by what you eat (listen to), you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died.

Rom 14:16  So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil.

Rom 14:17  For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

Rom 14:18  Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. Rom 14:19  So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Rom 14:20  Do not, for the sake of food (music), destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats (listens to).

Rom 14:21  It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble.

Rom 14:22  The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves.

Rom 14:23  But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats (listens), because the eating (listening) is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin.

The answer here is to be fully convinced in your own mind, because if you doubt it is sin to do it.

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

If we want to be technical...

Everything that is not Christ centered / spiritual is sin.

This includes the fact that we are all priests before God (the clergy / laity farce is an untruth in the New Covenant)...

so if we are (like most) passing our ministerial responsibilities to the "clergy" (i.e. "paid professionals" in Christianity)

we are sinning (by neglect and over burdening the few who stepped up in ministry).

We sin when we indulge in any worldly venture over dutifully doing our own ministry according to our calling and God given spiritual gifts.

... which might include playing Rock style music as an outreach to younger people for Christ...

There is no doubt there are worldly / humanistic / satanic lyrics in Rock...

But the same thing is true about politics. Do we boycott politics and let the Liberals (humanists / satanists) run the world? 

My point is, it's very easy to get into a spiritual isolation where the whole world is a big scary place to run from.

The world is humanistic and satanic (Jesus taught that the two are linked together in Matthew 16:13-23 watch the contrast between the things of God and the things of man which he attributes to the devil which is why he called Peter: Satan). Those who oppose the message of Jesus are of the spirit of antichrist (1 John 2:18-19). Those who opposed Christ were called children of the devil by Christ himself (John 8:44).

God called us to be sanctified / apart... but to be in the world while not being of the world.

It almost sounds contradictory until you recall the purpose for us to remain here on Earth after we convert to Christ (instead of being personally raptured out so to speak)

To get other people saved!

We are to go out into the humanistic / satanic world and spread the love of God in Christ Jesus.

Do we do this in religious garb? Speaking only religious lingo? Pointing our fingers at everyone who is "not as spiritual as we are?"

Or do we show them we are / were just like them... beggars in need of bread... and this is where we found bread...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

I want to also say that it is easy to get a little biblical knowledge and to start preaching Law at people.

Jesus fulfilled the Law. It's function now is to judge the lost.

Jesus saves through Grace.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.99
  • Days Won:  21

You communicate very well. Ha. You should hear my Spanish (and giggle).

Since you brought up the subject, maybe you know the answer already. You have a unique path that the Lord knows all about. He has a plan for you. So I would humbly (do I sound humble?) suggest you do not approach the Lord as a kill-joy but rather as a Creative Genius that has some great future ideas for your life. Try and find out about them in a positive way. Look for new ideas, and maybe then you will get your answer more clearly.

• Loved it! 1