• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  0

On 7/12/2019 at 10:29 AM, Billiards Ball said:

Consider that a judge may forgive someone but sentence them.

Billiards Ball,

Can you explain this? This is what I struggle to understand. If someone is being sentenced, where is the forgiving act of the judge?

Currently there is a pastor on a book tour talking about how he and his congregation forgave the gunman who walked in a church and killed people gathered for a Bible Study.

They still want this man prosecuted and imprisoned. So what act backs up their claim that they forgave him? The fact that they are praying for him or what?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

10 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

Billiards Ball,

Can you explain this? This is what I struggle to understand. If someone is being sentenced, where is the forgiving act of the judge?

Currently there is a pastor on a book tour talking about how he and his congregation forgave the gunman who walked in a church and killed people gathered for a Bible Study.

They still want this man prosecuted and imprisoned. So what act backs up their claim that they forgave him? The fact that they are praying for him or what?

Sentencing comes under law. Forgiveness is from the heart.

It would be inappropriate to say a machine gunman should be acquitted--which would require the church members to lie and they did not see him do the shootings. Prison is a chance for not only rehabilitation, but for people to not fear a machine gun killer.

But it goes a LONG way to hear appeals for clemency in sentencing. For Christians to look the killer in the eye and say, "You killed my family, but I hold no ill will towards you, Christ died for us both." Many wicked people in prison have gotten saved through just this sort of thing.

When I disciplined my young children, I forgave them, showed no sign of anger--but they were disciplined.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54

1 hour ago, Billiards Ball said:

Sentencing comes under law. Forgiveness is from the heart.

It would be inappropriate to say a machine gunman should be acquitted--which would require the church members to lie and they did not see him do the shootings. Prison is a chance for not only rehabilitation, but for people to not fear a machine gun killer.

But it goes a LONG way to hear appeals for clemency in sentencing. For Christians to look the killer in the eye and say, "You killed my family, but I hold no ill will towards you, Christ died for us both." Many wicked people in prison have gotten saved through just this sort of thing.

When I disciplined my young children, I forgave them, showed no sign of anger--but they were disciplined.

Thank you.

• 11 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 7/12/2019 at 1:09 AM, Lee_ said:

Is it supposed to be to all people unconditionally or only to people who repent and ask? The reason I ask is because I might have read in a GotQuestions question and answer that you're only supposed to forgive if someone repents and asks (might not have gotten that right) and it's not supposed to be unconditional and for everyone. Right now though I'm going with unconditional forgiveness and for everyone.

We should always be forgiving because Jesus says 70 times 70 a day, it goes to show that we should forgive someone who is not repenting.