Tzephanyahu

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,299
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

It is the ships captain and crew that has always captivated me.

They wanted everyone to apease their god to save there lives. Jonahs admission of guilt and his solution, throw him overboard, horrified them.

Interestingly they redouble there efforts to save the ship etc.

I wonder how long the reaction to Jonah being thrown overboard and the storm stopping lasted?

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

@Tzephanyahu  thanks for the time and effort you  spent to put this together.  I really enjoy understanding  more of the historical settings Biblical accounts occurred in. 

And i  enjoyed following along with  your  comments too.  I think i learned a thing or two :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Aw thank you @Jostler for your kind words! I'm glad you liked the study and got something out of it. 

I plan to do more books studies eventually, before going back around to do Level 2. So hopefully they will also be useful for you. 

Love & Shalom 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

That was really interesting to learn more about - thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  452
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Tzephanyahu,

Wonderful study! It was refreshing to hear someone else bring up the idea that Jonah actually died and was brought back to life. Many believe that he remained alive _ for three days _ in the belly of a fish! Some interpretations use symbolism but we should take it literally. Jonah cried out from the depth of "Sheol". That is Hades, not the belly of a fish. Other translations use the "belly of hell" or " out of the deepest underworld."And about your favorite prayer, God answered his prayer and took him out of the underworld ... and the belly of the fish. Jesus spoke of His death and resurrection as a parallel to Jonah's experience.

I believe Jonah's death came within minutes as he uttered his quick prayer. Then the experience shifts beyond death. The fish didn't swim to the roots of the mountains into a pit with bars. His soul descended there. It is puzzling how Jonah, whom Ninevah did not know, convince them to repent. They all repented their ways and God delayed judgment on them for 150 years.  Why would they believe him all of a sudden and get on board with that? Wouldn't we expect them to mock him or even beat him and kill him? The king, 120k just stopped their wickedness, turned to God, fasted and prayed just because some stranger warned them of doom otherwise? Wow! We need someone with that kind of effectiveness in this world today. It seems too outlandish that a corrupt city would listen to anyone unless he proved that he was a true prophet of God. How did he convince them?

I submit this explanation: It wasn't just his warning to them. I mean, they could have confirmed his story with the men on that boat and I'm sure they did. But something must have put a scare into them. "Oh, your God is going to destroy us _ really?" Let's examine what happens when flesh is soaked in hydrochloric acid in the belly of a fish. It begins to digest, doesn't it? At best, Jonah was spit out looking like a half digested, bleached burn victim, a horrifying corpse from the dead if you will. They believed him because he showed evidence of his story and scared them to death!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Good study...

One thing about visuals...

Ever been fishing and had to clean a mess of fish afterwards? 

Looked at the finger you had down the mouth of all those fish after you were done?

Mine turned white. (Reaction to all the fish digestive juices) 

Jonah and the Assyrians were all olive complected. 

Jonah likely turned white too for a while after being inside of a fish for a while. 

He must have been a sight amongst the people... easy to pick out for sure.

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

I have heard mentioned before by some scholars how the Ninevites worshipped a Fish god, and a few of them must have actually witnessed Jonah vomited up onto shore by this one great fish or whale, and then must have thought he was sent by the gods so they spread the word about it and by the time he was preaching this message a lot of the city had already heard about what had happened. But of course this was not recorded anywhere in scripture so that's just speculation, but it could have very well been true.

Edited by CaptWalker