turtletwo

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  347
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2

Hallelujah! I felt the power all the way through the computer screen! I never knew that story.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  347
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2

Spafford only lived to 60, and Bliss to 38. Reminds me of Enoch. Jut walked into heaven and left this world behind. 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

2 minutes ago, pg4Him said:

Hallelujah! I felt the power all the way through the computer screen! I never knew that story.

Praise God! I know what you mean. It affected me the same way when I first learned of it last year. I'm glad I could share it with you.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

That was a great story. I like that song. Do you know about Martin Luther's "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God"? my Dad told me about that hymn when I was singing it in church in middle school, I confused him with Martin Luther King, jr. Now i know better. Young people need to learn about Martin Luther, the great protestant reformer, who broke with the Roman Catholic Church because of its wicked corruption, most people just know about the black civil rights leader. 

Amazing Grace is another famous hymn with a famous story.  Slave ship sailor John Newton wrote Amazing Grace. He was swept overboard during a storm, and was rescued from the ocean and brought back on board.  God chose him and He became faithful and believed God saved him so he could turn his life around, he became an Episcopalian priest and gave his life to God. They made a movie that focused on William Wilburforce, a British politician who convinced British parliament to outlaw the british slave trade, the ships that the British carried slaves from Africa to America or to the Carribean islands or central, South America.  John Newton was William Wilburforce's pastor. 

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

@heavensflower :)Thanks!

45 minutes ago, heavensflower said:

Do you know about Martin Luther's "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God"? my Dad told me about that hymn when I was singing it in church in middle school, I confused him with Martin Luther King, jr. Now i know better. Young people need to learn about Martin Luther, the great protestant reformer, who broke with the Roman Catholic Church because of its wicked corruption, most people just know about the black civil rights leader. 

@heavensflower Great hymn.:thumbsup: I appreciate you suggesting it. I will go over to the Hymn lyrics thread and post it right now.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

13 hours ago, turtletwo said:

Some of our most beloved and enduring hymns have been written under extreme trials and were born through deep sorrow/heartache. That is the case with the hymn "It is well with my soul." 

If you would like, feel free to add a story behind the song.

This incredible story of faith belongs to Horatio Spafford (1828-1888). Much like Job, he placed his trust in God during his life’s prosperity, but also during its calamities. A devout Christian who’d immersed himself in Scripture, many years of his life were joyous. He was a prominent Chicago lawyer, who’s business was thriving. He owned several properties throughout the city. He and his beloved wife had four beautiful daughters and one son. Life was more than good — it was blessed.

But faith, no matter how great, does not spare us from adversity.

Just as Horatio hit the pinnacle of his profession and financial success, things began to change. It began with the tragic loss of their son. Not long thereafter, the Great Chicago Fire destroyed nearly every real estate investment Horatio owned. 

Just a few years later in 1873, Horatio decided to treat his wife and daughters to a much needed escape from the turmoil. He sent them on a boat trip to Europe, with plans to join them shortly after wrapping up some business in Chicago. Just a few days later, he received a dreadful telegram from his wife, “Saved alone…” It bore the excruciating news that family’s ship had wrecked and all four of his daughters had perished.

Horatio was on his way to meet his heartbroken wife, passing over the same sea that had just claimed the lives of his remaining children. It was then that he put his pen to paper and the timeless hymn was born, beginning with the words:

When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Famous hymn composer, Philip Bliss (1838-1876), was so moved by Horatio’s prose, that he composed a peaceful tune to accompany the words. The song was published by Bliss and Sankey, in 1876.

It’s incredible to think such encouraging and uplifting words were born from the depths of such unimaginable sorrow. It’s an example of truly inspiring faith and trust in the Lord. And is goes to show the power our God has to overcome even the darkest times of our earthly life.

I know that story.   It's one of my favorite hymns, too.

12 hours ago, heavensflower said:

That was a great story. I like that song. Do you know about Martin Luther's "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God"? my Dad told me about that hymn when I was singing it in church in middle school, I confused him with Martin Luther King, jr. Now i know better. Young people need to learn about Martin Luther, the great protestant reformer, who broke with the Roman Catholic Church because of its wicked corruption, most people just know about the black civil rights leader. 

Amazing Grace is another famous hymn with a famous story.  Slave ship sailor John Newton wrote Amazing Grace. He was swept overboard during a storm, and was rescued from the ocean and brought back on board.  God chose him and He became faithful and believed God saved him so he could turn his life around, he became an Episcopalian priest and gave his life to God. They made a movie that focused on William Wilburforce, a British politician who convinced British parliament to outlaw the british slave trade, the ships that the British carried slaves from Africa to America or to the Carribean islands or central, South America.  John Newton was William Wilburforce's pastor. 

I think John Newton was ordained as an Evangelical Anglican.

I highly recommend the movie Amazing Grace, the story of William Wilberforce's life.   He was quite a dedicated Christian.   Besides his fighting against the slave trade in Parliament, he was also very kind to the poor and even animals.

• Loved it! 1

@Debp :)Thanks for the movie recommendation.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

5 hours ago, turtletwo said:

@Debp :)Thanks for the movie recommendation.

You are quite welcome.   I watched Amazing Grace some years ago.   Besides it being a wonderful true story, it is a well made movie.

I don't know if Tubi TV app/website carries it.   Or maybe YouTube?

• Loved it! 1