• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,448
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

1 cor14:28...........

But if no one is present who can interpret, they must be silent in your church meeting and speak in tongues to God privately.

In 1 Corinthians Chapter 14:, the Apostle Paul makes it pretty clear about speaking in tongues. 1 Cor. 14: 27-28 and: 1 Cor. 14: 6, 14:9.

I have to ask myself; if the gift of speaking in tongues is in effect today, why do global missionaries have to study and learn the foreign language to communicate the Gospel to the lost. It was given to the Apostles so they could spread and preach the Gospel to all tongues and nations.

Perhaps my discernment is not up to par; but attending church is to hear and understand the Gospel and the word of God; for the lost attending the service to clearly hear and understand the Gospel message; to be in unity and of one accord in worship. When we collectively pray in church to our Heavenly Father through our Lord and Savior, do we omit and exclude those in collective prayer and them wondering what is being said? 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

17 hours ago, ravindran said:

So, we have moved to a new house and a week back we had invited one of the pastors we know to our house. Just to spend some time us and bless the new house. He stayed overnight and we were planning to do some prayer in the evening. He is such a humble and wonderful person full of wisdom! He is a pentecostal Pastor and always encourages me and my wife to seek Baptism of Holy Spirit. I have held different positions about speaking in tongues. Generally I have always believed speaking in tongues is for today. But my position was that it was not "essential". I never prayed for it too much. In my Church, a series on Spirit Empowered Life has been going on from beginning of the year (and this week they started a new series). Wonder about the timing!!

The Pastor was actually fasting that day and wanted to pray with us for us to receive baptism of HS. He talked about it for a while and we started praying. I prayed. Then I slowly set aside my doubts and prayed to God that He would simply touch me and fill me. If that means speaking in tongues, then let it happen. This went on for a while. Then I thought Pastor would stop and stay keep asking the Lord and some other day it would happen. Nope, he would not stop! We kept on praying and finally my wife started speaking in tongues. That's when my prayers became serious!! I was in tears, just praising God and asking Him to fill me. Then the Pastor was moved by HS and he layed his hands on my head. On that instant, I felt like something gushing out of me. I started crying and speaking in tongues. It felt liberating. It felt like water breaking out of dam. It felt like everything came out of the core of the body or close to belly. That's the best way I can describe! I was speaking in tongues for a while and eventually we stopped.

Yesterday during worship service at Church, once again I spoke in tongues for a while. May be for 1 or 2 songs. It is amazing! Clearly I could feel connected to God than normal praise and worship. It feels like there is zero distraction. No other thoughts in mind. And there is a calmness and peace at that time. And plenty of crying! I am so thankful and grateful to Lord that He would chose a sinner like me to show His goodness. I am not posting this up for debate on whether tongues is for today or question my experience. I am sharing this more as a testimony.

As for my position about Baptism of Holy Spirit, I can personally testify that speaking in tongues is for today. Is Baptism of Holy Spirit is a second experience after being saved? This is the case for me. May be that's the way it is or may be that's the way it was for me because of my unbelief and not seeking it before. I don't know. If you are in my boat, set aside your doubts and seek Him. Just seek Him. 

My first 18 years as a Christian (beginning at age 27) were at an AG church which was very into speaking in "tongues". I really wanted it and, one Sunday evening, a pastor who specialized in it preached and wanted people to come forward. I was running sound, so I couldn't. But afterward I talked to the pastor and the three of us went into a side room and prayed about it. To make a long story short, I no longer respect that man.

To be clear, I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm saying that a lot of people fake it. I believe people in that church did speak in tongues, but one thing that bothered me was that there was almost an attitude of "if you don't, it means you are not really saved and not "one of us". It didn't cause me to leave that church or anything (my leaving was due to something else), but it was always a bit of a thorn, especially when one message given in the congregation was proven to be 100% false. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Still Alive said:

My first 18 years as a Christian (beginning at age 27) were at an AG church which was very into speaking in "tongues". I really wanted it and, one Sunday evening, a pastor who specialized in it preached and wanted people to come forward. I was running sound, so I couldn't. But afterward I talked to the pastor and the three of us went into a side room and prayed about it. To make a long story short, I no longer respect that man.

To be clear, I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm saying that a lot of people fake it. I believe people in that church did speak in tongues, but one thing that bothered me was that there was almost an attitude of "if you don't, it means you are not really saved and not "one of us". It didn't cause me to leave that church or anything (my leaving was due to something else), but it was always a bit of a thorn, especially when one message given in the congregation was proven to be 100% false. 

It is completely false to say that a person is not saved if they don't speak in tongues. that's completely false. The common AG belief is that Baptism of Holy Spirit is something that is separate from regeneration. For some it could all happen together. And speaking in tongues is the outward sign of being baptised in HS. It is nothing to do with salvation

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

John 7: 38  He that believeth on me, as the scriptures hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.  KJV

This is what pastors told me when I explained my experience. It makes sense. I think belly is the closest word. But it is not literal belly. It is like from the core of the body. Innermost and central part of body. Probably belly explains that literally in closest way.

7 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

1 cor14:28...........

But if no one is present who can interpret, they must be silent in your church meeting and speak in tongues to God privately.

yes, I was not disturbing the entire Church service by speaking out loud. I was speaking in tongues privately during worship service without distracting anyone else.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  16

11 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

It is not my intent to bust anybody’s bubble, but was there anyone there to interpret ? If not it is sinful.

You're not bursting any bubbles.  The context is clear...there are tongues given  for  use IN the assembly, and tongues that are NOT.  It is never  even  intimated  that tongues without  interpretation is sin.  It is said that tongues  without interpretation  IN THE ASSEMBLY is  out  of line. 

If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret.  But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God.

A careful reading in context will reveal that MUCH of  1st  Corinthians 14 is Paul trying  to get across when  and how  to employ  which  tongue and where.  In the  assembly or  in your  prayer  closet.  He was addressing  a carnal congregation  who were eager to embrace the  gifts  but were  totally out of order in their administration of them.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, ravindran said:

This is what pastors told me when I explained my experience. It makes sense. I think belly is the closest word. But it is not literal belly. It is like from the core of the body. Innermost and central part of body. Probably belly explains that literally in closest way.

That's right, and exactly what the scripture indicates. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  1

Please understand, I mean no disrespect to the OP, I have experienced True speaking in tongues followed by True interpretation of the tongue with the Scriptural results of many being saved, and, ...I believe him to be my brother and he has clearly had an experience, however, what confuses me is if during Worship, ...and true Worship is lead by the Holy Spirit and not man, and the gift of tongues is given by and through the Holy Spirit, ...why then would the Holy Spirit interrupt Himself?

What I mean is, in true Worship lead by the Holy Spirit the focus is on God for all of those worshiping , so then, if the Holy Spirit manifests Himself through one of the worshipers with speaking in tongues and just one of them hears it, ...wouldn't that be the Holy Spirit drawing the attention, ...the purpose of Worship, off of God ?   

Dear brother, we are told to test all things, since you said your experience is new, then may I humbly suggest you study the subject and if the Holy Spirit has given you a prayer language then use it in private as the Word says, also, prayer is Father's Will, His way of accomplishing the things He want done through His children, so may I suggest you keep a journal, since it is a prayer language, to document for yourself how it has benefited you and your church, ...I know men who have this gift, who Father has put something in their heart and they pray for it with the gift and they can physically see the results of what the Lord is using them to pray for in His Church.

I have the gift of helps, when He first gave it to me I ran around helping everybody, then I started to see a difference in the results, some truly appreciated my help and others could care less, when I started to take heed to the  promptings in my heart from Father and not my emotional feelings of my flesh, I learned to interpret the differences I was seeing in the results, ...when it was what Father wanted me to do, YES!!! ...it was like streams of water gushing forth from my soul (it's better to give than receive), when it was of my flesh I felt hurt, unappreciated and bitter, ....so I encourage you brother, listen for that still small voice in your heart and mature in the purpose Father has for how you use it.    

Lord bless 

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, ravindran said:

It is completely false to say that a person is not saved if they don't speak in tongues. that's completely false. The common AG belief is that Baptism of Holy Spirit is something that is separate from regeneration. For some it could all happen together. And speaking in tongues is the outward sign of being baptised in HS. It is nothing to do with salvation

Yes. Nobody actually said that. It was just a "feeling" about the "pecking order" in the church. One thing that really annoyed me was the teaching that since it was such a "lesser" gift, that it should be given to everyone. 

In my case, it seems to be laying on of hands. My wife has been miraculously healed when I did that. And it was kinda like some "tongues" testimonies. I was as compelled to do it as you are to breathe. And it was almost like it wasn't me doing it. I've never experienced anything else like it.

And yes, I definitely believe we exist alongside a "spiritual realm". In fact, I think it's possible our spirits are a projection into this physical realm from that one.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

8 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

In my case, it seems to be laying on of hands. My wife has been miraculously healed when I did that.

This is in my opinion, is one of the most important acts of faith for the Body of Christ in action to this day. 

• Thumbs Up 1