• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

21 minutes ago, JustPassingThru said:

Please understand, I mean no disrespect to the OP, I have experienced True speaking in tongues followed by True interpretation of the tongue with the Scriptural results of many being saved, and, ...I believe him to be my brother and he has clearly had an experience, however, what confuses me is if during Worship, ...and true Worship is lead by the Holy Spirit and not man, and the gift of tongues is given by and through the Holy Spirit, ...why then would the Holy Spirit interrupt Himself?

What I mean is, in true Worship lead by the Holy Spirit the focus is on God for all of those worshiping , so then, if the Holy Spirit manifests Himself through one of the worshipers with speaking in tongues and just one of them hears it, ...wouldn't that be the Holy Spirit drawing the attention, ...the purpose of Worship, off of God ?   

Dear brother, we are told to test all things, since you said your experience is new, then may I humbly suggest you study the subject and if the Holy Spirit has given you a prayer language then use it in private as the Word says, also, prayer is Father's Will, His way of accomplishing the things He want done through His children, so may I suggest you keep a journal, since it is a prayer language, to document for yourself how it has benefited you and your church, ...I know men who have this gift, who Father has put something in their heart and they pray for it with the gift and they can physically see the results of what the Lord is using them to pray for in His Church.

I have the gift of helps, when He first gave it to me I ran around helping everybody, then I started to see a difference in the results, some truly appreciated my help and others could care less, when I started to take heed to the  promptings in my heart from Father and not my emotional feelings of my flesh, I learned to interpret the differences I was seeing in the results, ...when it was what Father wanted me to do, YES!!! ...it was like streams of water gushing forth from my soul (it's better to give than receive), when it was of my flesh I felt hurt, unappreciated and bitter, ....so I encourage you brother, listen for that still small voice in your heart and mature in the purpose Father has for how you use it.    

Lord bless 

I appreciate your concern! (and I truly mean that). The experience is new for me and not the subject. This is something I have studied for so many years. Of course, studied through Scripture

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

What bible verses gives clear understanding the meaning of " tongues" ?.    What are the specific verses I can look up .

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

Disclaimer: I have only read the OP so before I read other comments I do have to ask this....

What exactly is the Baptism of the HS?  Reading your post I was led to believe you were already Baptized being one in Christ through the indwelling HS. Is it just now being able to speak in tongues? 

So what exactly is this subsequent Baptism?  I guess I’m confused as to why it is called Baptism. Why not just say “I received the GIFT OF TONGUES.” Thanks.....

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

I have always wondered why those who defend the speaking in tongues in the assembly do not "test" the spirits.
Why do they not have two interpreters while only one other speaks in tongues.
The interpreters write down their interpretations. Then, before the assembly, compare.
I have been told, that's because the tongues means different things to different people.
To me, that's a cop out.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

On 7/16/2019 at 10:04 AM, BeauJangles said:

This is in my opinion, is one of the most important acts of faith for the Body of Christ in action to this day. 

and it's one of the six fundamental "principles of Christ" noted in Hebrews 6 too.

Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.  And this we will do if God permits.

It's thought  provoking to  notice that every one of the  divisive topics we see so  much  bickering about on this forum is  found in that passage.  Raptures (resurrection of the dead), repentance, eternal judgement (not recognizing the difference  between the complete, utter finished  work of  His  salvation of the spirit man, and attributing works to salvation of  the spirit, when they (works)  have nothing to do with  it.  Not  understanding that  sanctification  is the  salvation of  the soul and has  to  do with eternal judgement, not salvation).  Baptism(S!) including the baptism in the Spirit....amazing.   All basic beginnings .... yet  these are what  we fight over??

The  Bible indicates  these  six fundamental principles are a necessary foundation to maturity,  and that  they  are MILK...not meat.

For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food.  For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe.  But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

We are like a bunch of unruly, undisciplined children sitting at His table throwing milk at each other instead of drinking it.  Father  is coming  and He's got a rod in His hand......He  will move to restore the  fear of Him in  His children and we will once more tremble at  His  Word.  Every fresh  move of God has been preceded by repentance.   And we're about  to be given reason to do just that.  Discipline is about  training  in righteousness, not destruction, but we can bet it's not going to be pleasant and we don't have to experience it if we decide to stop what He objects  to.

He has  a plan that includes judging and reversing ALL the works  of the devil, but  He is not going to do that  until His own house  is  set  back in order.   And it's time.

For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?

Edited by Jostler
  • Well Said! 1

13 hours ago, saved34 said:

Your experience, although quite real, was not the baptism of the Holy Spirit. That is the one time act of the Holy Spirit where he places, regenerate, seal and unite all believers in the body of Christ. This is emphatically spoken of as past tense.

Eph 4:5  one Lord, one faith, one baptism;

1Co 12:13  For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

Eph 1:13  And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

Now after hearing and believing the Gospel we receive the Holy Spirit of promise apart from tongues(which some Christians have as a gift) in dwelt, sealed, regenerated, and baptized.

Gal 3:2  I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard?

Keep in mind not every Christian will speak in tongues 

1Co 12:30  Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?

The Holy Spirit is with the Christian in dwelling him or her whether he knows it or not. It’s a matter of fact, not feeling or signs

1Co 6:19  What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

We are commanded to be filled with the Spirit which also has no bearing on speaking in tongues. 

Thank you, brother....

This post exactly echos my thoughts...one Baptism.....the day we receive the gift of the indwelling HS when we put our total trust in the blood of Christ.  That is the one Baptism! 

Like I previously said, it sounds to me like everything after that is just the receiving of the gift of tongues. I have to also be brutally honest here knowing some will be upset, but hey, I don’t believe God would want me not to share what wisdom and insight I may have, seeing that all my wisdom comes from Him....

i believe it is very possible that calling what the OP described a BAPTISM can possibly be divisive and can also cause confusion and needless insecurity in the Body of Christ. 

Okay.....I’ve said my peace......

in love and truth,

spock 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Worship Warriors said:

the baptism of the holy spirit is for you prayer language and personal edification.  the interpretation of tongue is a gift of the holy spirit, along with prophecy, working of miracles etc.

there is a difference between the two. There is no need for anyone to interpret your prayer language.

Sister,

Would you mind showing me the scripture you are referencing regarding the Baptism of the HS for “your prayer language and personal edification?”

thanks

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

Just now, Spock said:

Thank you, brother....

This post exactly echos my thoughts...one Baptism.....the day we receive the gift of the indwelling HS when we put our total trust in the blood of Christ.  That is the one Baptism! 

Like I previously said, it sounds to me like everything after that is just the receiving of the gift of tongues. I have to also be brutally honest here knowing some will be upset, but hey, I don’t believe God would want me not to share what wisdom and insight I may have, seeing that all my wisdom comes from Him....

i believe it is very possible that calling what the OP described a BAPTISM can possibly be divisive and can also cause confusion and needless insecurity in the Body of Christ. 

Okay.....I’ve said my peace......

in love and truth,

spock 

Baloney.  I would encourage both  of you to get busy laying your foundation and I can tell you  how to  begin with the baptisms.   Find every place in His Word that mentions the word  in any  of it's forms and ask the text three questions

1.  Who is baptising

2.  Who  is being baptized

3.  What is the element being baptized  into.

Using the Word to contradict the  Word is FOLLY.   You  will find that the "one baptism" is performed BY the Spirit and the element being baptized  into is the Body.

The baptism in the Spirit is performed BY Jesus and the element being  baptized  into  is the Spirit.  No way  they are  the same baptism.

Do the  work and you'll find those  are  not the only baptisms the Word speaks to  either. 

7 hours ago, saved34 said:

Acts is a historical account of the Church, not a template for how we “get” the Holy Spirit. We have the Epistles of the Apostles for that. 

Notice Paul was surprised they had not had the Holy Spirit through the hearing of the Gospel. They were actually still on Johns preaching of a pre crucified Christ.

the birth of the Church with the Apostles and Jewish people from all over the world is just as historic and non repeating as the first coming of the Lord Jesus. The opening of the doors by Peter to the gentiles is historic and cannot be repeated or used as a guideline for how to get the Holy Spirit. 

We now have clear scripture that every believer on the Lord Jesus has the Holy Spirit, anyone who doesn’t is “none of his”

Rom 8:9  You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.

Brother,

I Hate to sound like a groupie,  but every time I read your words, my heart leaps in joy!  I believe you are adding the necessary balance to this discussion. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Jostler said:

Baloney.  I would encourage both  of you to get busy laying your foundation and I can tell you  how to  begin with the baptisms.   Find every place in His Word that mentions the word  in any  of it's forms and ask the text three questions

1.  Who is baptising

2.  Who  is being baptized

3.  What is the element being baptized  into.

Using the Word to contradict the  Word is FOLLY.   You  will find that the "one baptism" is performed BY the Spirit and the element being baptized  into is the Body.

The baptism in the Spirit is performed BY Jesus and the element being  baptized  into  is the Spirit.  No way  they are  the same baptism.

Do the  work and you'll find those  are  not the only baptisms the Word speaks to  either. 

Sorry brother, but I can’t agree with you on this. I wouldn’t be so quick to call what I said, baloney.  As for doing the work, I did. I spent years researching this back in the 80s and I believe I found the place and balance I needed to be in. 

It has been my experience that I have both witnessed and counseled many believers who questioned whether they were even saved because they did not have the “baptism of the HS” as you call it.  Or, having to counsel with believers that if God wants them to speak in tongues He will give you that GIFT...you don’t have to run around seeking it or worry about not being able to speak in tongues.  It is a gift......

remember, one baptism....and if you use what happened in Acts and claim it as doctrine for all time for all people,  I believe you are erroneous in your thinking.  Like I said, my concern is seeing my brothers and sisters in the Lord being insecure and wondering if they are even in Christ without this “experience.” 

Spock

• Thanks 1