IGNORED

WorthyNews: House Passes Text Condemning Trump’s 'Racist Comments'; Democrat Pushes For Impeachment

WorthyNewsBot

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  893
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

On 7/19/2019 at 7:56 PM, Debp said:

When people here complain terribly and always criticize our country, sometimes people say "Well, if you don't like it here, why don't you move to another country?" 

hi sis

Thanks for explaining :)

To me though I think there is a big difference between say telling someone who is a born citizen of a country.. "that if they don't like the situation in the country they could simply move to any other country they wish".. and telling them.. "to go back to the countries of their ancestors"..

If the tweet had been worded the same way as your sentence then I might not have even posted in this thread.  Because your sentence is a perfectly normal sentence.  Not something necessarily racist / bigoted /prejudiced or anything like that.  Just an ordinary normal sentence.

A "go back" sentence is different.  The keyword is the phrase "go back".  One can only go back to someplace that one came from.  If someone is a born citizen of a country.. and grew up in that country etc.. then how can they "go back" to a country they were never from in the first place? 

Often the term "go back" to where your ancestors came from is used when the target of that phrase is not being viewed as an actual or full citizen of their own country.. but either just as second class citizens.. or perhaps even viewed as 'foreigners' in their own country.  That is why.. to me.. that phrase is usually offensive or even bigoted etc. especially when used against those who are actually born citizens of a nation.  

Sorry just wanted to explain.  I dont know if in the Usa perhaps the meaning is different?

Thanks. 

Edited by just_abc
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

13 hours ago, just_abc said:

hi sis

Thanks for explaining :)

To me though I think there is a big difference between say telling someone who is a born citizen of a country.. "that if they don't like the situation in the country they could simply move to any other country they wish".. and telling them.. "to go back to the countries of their ancestors"..

If the tweet had been worded the same way as your sentence then I might not have even posted in this thread.  Because your sentence is a perfectly normal sentence.  Not something necessarily racist / bigoted /prejudiced or anything like that.  Just an ordinary normal sentence.

A "go back" sentence is different.  The keyword is the phrase "go back".  One can only go back to someplace that one is from.  If someone is a born citizen of a country.. and grew up in that country etc.. then how can they "go back" to a country they were never from in the first place? 

Often the term "go back" to where your ancestors came from is used when the target of that phrase is not being viewed as an actual or full citizen of their own country.. but either just as second class citizens.. or perhaps even viewed as 'foreigners' in their own country.  That is why.. to me.. that phrase is usually offensive or even bigoted etc. especially when used against those who are actually born citizens of a nation.  

Sorry just wanted to explain.  I dont know if in the Usa perhaps the meaning is different?

Thanks. 

If I may step in for a moment. The phrase "go back to where you came from" is a very offensive and very mean thing to say to someone in the US.  It basically means, You don't belong here! You are not welcome here. I am better then you.   It is a phrase that is most often used by racists , bigoted people. *Now I am NOT calling anybody  racists or bigoted. And I am NOT saying that is what Trump is. (so no one go crazy on me cause I am not accusing here)*  I am just saying that that phrase is most often utter by people who are indeed racists and or bigoted.  So that is why there is such a shock over all of this. It is not something "nice" people say. Kind of like saying the "N" word. 

So I hope I have explain well. If you have any more question feel free to ask. Peace and Love! 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  893
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, LadyKay said:

So I hope I have explain well. If you have any more question feel free to ask. Peace and Love! 

Thanks very much for explaining :)

In the past in my country .... phrases along the lines that if someone was not happy with such-and-such then they should go back (to the countries their ancestors came from)... has been used by certain quarters against individuals who are born citizens of my country but from non-indigenous minority ethnicities..   

Sometimes even if their family had lived in the country for generations.. some still viewed them as 'outsiders' or 'immigrants' (with the term for immigrant being used derisively in this context not positively)

So yeah a "go back" phrase does not always have just nice meanings.. outside of the Usa..   :blink:

I have never been to the Usa though.. so was/ am not certain what the meaning is in the Usa..

Thanks to you and deb for taking the time and trouble to explain to me.  Much appreciated. 

:)

• Loved it! 1