• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

DAY 3 - PSALM 3 [Book 1]

A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.

O Lord, how many are my foes!
    Many are rising against me;
many are saying of my soul,
    “There is no salvation for him in God.” Selah

But you, O Lord, are a shield about me,
    my glory, and the lifter of my head.
I cried aloud to the Lord,
    and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah

I lay down and slept;
    I woke again, for the Lord sustained me.
I will not be afraid of many thousands of people
    who have set themselves against me all around.

Arise, O Lord!
    Save me, O my God!
For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
    you break the teeth of the wicked.

Salvation belongs to the Lord;
    your blessing be on your people! Selah

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

many are saying of my soul,
    “There is no salvation for him in God.” Selah

This is verse 2.  If you haven't read the story of Absalom trying to take over the throne, it's in 2 Samuel 15 - 18.  Chapters 1-10 are David's victories.  Chapters 11-24 are David's troubles because of his sins.

In a nutshell, here is the story up to the point of this psalm.  I just love 1/2 Samuel.

•  David grieves over the deaths of Saul/Jonathan and David is now king. [But just of Judah]
  •  The two houses [of Saul and David] have great battles and David is finally made king over all of Israel [There is still just one kingdom at this point].
  •  David tries to bring the Ark back to Jerusalem and makes two attempts: one failed and one succeeded.
  •  God makes a covenant with David to build a continuing lineage for David.
  •  David sleeps with Bathsheba and has Uriah killed.  God, through Nathan, says that their will be punishment in store.
  •  Amnon [David's son] rapes Tamar [David's daughter].  David does nothing.  Absalom [David's son] plots to rise over David and almost succeeds.

When Absalom runs David out of town and David leaves seemingly defeated, a man on the side of the road begins to hurl insults at David.  He called David a "man of blood" and "worthless" and told him that "God had given the kingdom to Absalom".  He also throws rocks and dirt at David.

One of David's mighty men wants to cut the man's head off, but David says no.  David says that if God told the man to curse David, then so be it.

David is at a very low point here and this is why he says "many are saying of my soul, 'There is no salvation for him in God.'"

• This is Worthy 3
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

@Jayne: Wow, girl. Just wow. That historical break down was so helpful. I have to read up on my Old Testament so I can be a boss like you! <3 

3 hours ago, Jayne said:

Salvation belongs to the Lord;
    your blessing be on your people!

The last verse is a declaration of his faith and trust in God. No matter what's going on, God is the only salvation. 

• Praise God! 4

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

@Jayne :th_wave:Thanks so much for this study in the Psalms. I appreciate being able to participate in it. 

Psalm 2-The things that stand out to me:

The awesomeness of God vs the foolishness of humans rising up against Him in their arrogance. I love verse 4 where it says the One enthroned in heaven laughs.

It makes me think of Isa 40:22 "God is the one who rules the whole earth, and we that live here are merely insects." Mere mortals who think themselves much too important.

Some of them even rage against God verbally and shake their fists at the sky. But is God phased by this? Psalm 59:8 says, "But LORD, you laugh at them. You scoff at all the hostile nations."

Actually, what jumped out at me first was verse 7 "I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee."

This makes me think of John 1:14 “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.” 

Psalm 2 is recognized as being one of the 'Messianic psalms' because it contains prophecies/descriptions about Jesus that went on to be fulfilled. 

Another example would be verse 12 where Son is capitalized in the KJV (and many versions) thus referring to Jesus. "Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him."

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:07 AM, Willa said:

Rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

1Th 1:10  ESV  and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.

1Th 5:9  For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,

Praise God that He is our refuge and our strength.  

That's right dear sister .   IN HIM is ALL HOPE .     OH let the praises be sounded out to the LORD .

22 hours ago, Always a Moon said:

@Jayne: Wow, girl. Just wow. That historical break down was so helpful. I have to read up on my Old Testament so I can be a boss like you! <3 

The last verse is a declaration of his faith and trust in God. No matter what's going on, God is the only salvation. 

Just like the apostels could sing and rejoice , EVEN IN PRISON .    ALL HOPE ON THE LORD .

Heres a beauty .     But I have ALL and I ABOUND .     Paul wrote that to the church of the phillipains .     But where did he write it from .  

IN PRISON awaiting a possible death sentence .     And yet ,    I HAVE ALL AND I ABOUND .     ALL HOPE ABOVE ON CHRIST .

You praise the LORD ,  sister .  

• Praise God! 1

6 hours ago, turtletwo said:

@Jayne :th_wave:Thanks so much for this study in the Psalms. I appreciate being able to participate in it. 

Psalm 2-The things that stand out to me:

The awesomeness of God vs the foolishness of humans rising up against Him in their arrogance. I love verse 4 where it says the One enthroned in heaven laughs.

It makes me think of Isa 40:22 "God is the one who rules the whole earth, and we that live here are merely insects." Mere mortals who think themselves much too important.

Some of them even rage against God verbally and shake their fists at the sky. But is God phased by this? Psalm 59:8 says, "But LORD, you laugh at them. You scoff at all the hostile nations."

Actually, what jumped out at me first was verse 7 "I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee."

This makes me think of John 1:14 “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.” 

Psalm 2 is recognized as being one of the 'Messianic psalms' because it contains prophecies/descriptions about Jesus that went on to be fulfilled. 

Another example would be verse 12 where Son is capitalized in the KJV (and many versions) thus referring to Jesus. "Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him."

And peter quaoted it in acts .     By grace do you know what I have learned .  That in the torah , the entirety of the PROMISE is seen .    And the PROMISE that is all HOPE

and salvation can be summed up in one name .   JESUS CHRIST .    WHO TRULY IS THE GLORY OF GOD .      Now ,  Lets raise those hands and PRAISE THE HOLY LORD .

• This is Worthy 2
  • Loved it! 1

DAY 4 - PSALM 4 [Book 1]

Answer Me When I Call

To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments. A Psalm of David.

Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
    You have given me relief when I was in distress.
    Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!

O men, how long shall my honor be turned into shame?
    How long will you love vain words and seek after lies? Selah
But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself;
    the Lord hears when I call to him.

Be angry and do not sin;
    ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Selah
Offer right sacrifices,
    and put your trust in the Lord.

There are many who say, “Who will show us some good?
    Lift up the light of your face upon us, O Lord!”
You have put more joy in my heart
    than they have when their grain and wine abound.

In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
    for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, pinacled said:

(0) For the leader. With stringed instruments. A psalm of David:

Ha!  We posted at the same time!  Thanks.  I don't get home from church on Sundays until noon.  I forgot to post before I left!  Thanks again.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

What peace this psalm brings to my heart. 

"You have given me relief when I was in distress." He is always faithful to me, always pulling me from my plight in His time.

"Offer right sacrifices, and put your trust in the Lord." This has a new meaning for me, as recently I have learned what sacrifice is right for me to offer to Him. That requires a great deal of trust, then, when I continue to sacrifice, it actually produces more and more trust. Amazing how that works.

"In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, o Lord, make me dwell in safety." All the Amens! My mind and spirit are at peace the more I seek Him. When I dwell with Him, nothing can rattle me. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1