Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Always a Moon said:

@Jayne

That one requires a bit more discernment. I will await the wise responses of my friends here...

I want to see what others have to say, too.  Whether their own words or whether they cite someone else.  

I'll just say this as far as summarizing it.

•  Stanza 1 - People, even nations, purposefully defy God and hate him and Christ [his anointed].
  •  Stanza 2 - God laughs at their attempt to cut God and Christ out of their lives and says in wrath that there is a King [Jesus] exalted by God.
  •  Stanza 3 - God gives Christ the authority to not only rule over nations, but to punish those nations who defy God.
  •  Stanza 4 - He says this psalm is a warning to those nations.  We should instead fear God and tremble, yet rejoice.  Those that "kiss", submit to Christ, are blessed indeed.

Edited by Jayne
  • Praise God! 1

2 hours ago, Jayne said:

I want to see what others have to say, too.  Whether their own words or whether they cite someone else.  

I'll just say this as far as summarizing it.

•  Stanza 1 - People, even nations, purposefully defy God and hate him and Christ [his anointed].
  •  Stanza 2 - God laughs at their attempt to cut God and Christ out of their lives and says in wrath that there is a King [Jesus] exalted by God.
  •  Stanza 3 - God gives Christ the authority to not only rule over nations, but to punish those nations who defy God.
  •  Stanza 4 - He says this psalm is a warning to those nations.  We should instead fear God and tremble, yet rejoice.  Those that "kiss", submit to Christ, are blessed indeed.

Except for the fact that Christ has come, it seems to me this psalm could have been written yesterday. After all these years, the pattern really hasn't changed. People are still planning vain things and rebelling against God and His people; and God is still warning the rebellious and blessing those who take refuge in Him.

What I gleaned from today's psalm- God is oh so very patient with those who rebel against Him; He is faithful to His people; His Word is sure; and His purposes will be accomplished.

My response to Psalm 2- As patient as God is, judgment is coming. I need more love and a stronger sense of urgency regarding the lost and my witness in the world.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jayne said:

DAY 2 -  PSALM 2 [Book 1]

The Reign of the Lord's Anointed - 12 verses.

[1] Why do the nations rage and the peoples plot in vain? [2] The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and against his Anointed, saying,  [3] “Let us burst their bonds apart and cast away their cords from us.”

[4] He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord holds them in derision.[5] Then he will speak to them in his wrath,and terrify them in his fury, saying, [6] “As for me, I have set my King on Zion, my holy hill.”

[7] I will tell of the decree: The Lord said to me, “You are my Son; today I have begotten you. [8] Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession. [9] You shall break them with a rod of iron and dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.”

[10] Now therefore, O kings, be wise; be warned, O rulers of the earth. [11] Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. [12] Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled. Blessed are all who take refuge in him.

It seems to be a call for the nations and kings of the world to submit to the King of Kings and start guiding their people down the path of righteousness. God never wanted Israel to have a king, but they demanded to have one like all the other nations. There is only one King, our Blessed Redeemer, Jesus. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 3

12 hours ago, Jayne said:

DAY 2 -  PSALM 2 [Book 1]

The Reign of the Lord's Anointed - 12 verses.

[1] Why do the nations rage and the peoples plot in vain? [2] The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and against his Anointed, saying,  [3] “Let us burst their bonds apart and cast away their cords from us.”

[4] He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord holds them in derision.[5] Then he will speak to them in his wrath,and terrify them in his fury, saying, [6] “As for me, I have set my King on Zion, my holy hill.”

[7] I will tell of the decree: The Lord said to me, “You are my Son; today I have begotten you. [8] Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession. [9] You shall break them with a rod of iron and dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.”

[10] Now therefore, O kings, be wise; be warned, O rulers of the earth. [11] Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. [12] Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled. Blessed are all who take refuge in him.

Amen,

Greet one another with a Holy kiss

Romans 16

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

Posted (edited)

"Flee from evil.."

3 (0) A psalm of David, when he fled from Avshalom his son:

2 (1) Adonai, how many enemies I have!
How countless are those attacking me;
3 (2) how countless those who say of me,
“There is no salvation for him in God.” (Selah)

4 (3) But you, Adonai, are a shield for me;
you are my glory, you lift my head high.
5 (4) With my voice I call out toAdonai,
and he answers me from his holy hill. (Selah)

6 (5) I lie down and sleep, then wake up again,
because Adonai sustains me.
7 (6) I am not afraid of the tens of thousands
set against me on every side.
8 (7) Rise up, Adonai!
Save me, my God!
For you slap all my enemies in the face,
you smash the teeth of the wicked.
9 (8) Victory comes from Adonai;
may your blessing rest on your people. (Selah)

Edited by pinacled
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

DAY 3 - PSALM 3 [Book 1]

A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.

O Lord, how many are my foes!
    Many are rising against me;
many are saying of my soul,
    “There is no salvation for him in God.” Selah

But you, O Lord, are a shield about me,
    my glory, and the lifter of my head.
I cried aloud to the Lord,
    and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah

I lay down and slept;
    I woke again, for the Lord sustained me.
I will not be afraid of many thousands of people
    who have set themselves against me all around.

Arise, O Lord!
    Save me, O my God!
For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
    you break the teeth of the wicked.

Salvation belongs to the Lord;
    your blessing be on your people! Selah

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

many are saying of my soul,
    “There is no salvation for him in God.” Selah

This is verse 2.  If you haven't read the story of Absalom trying to take over the throne, it's in 2 Samuel 15 - 18.  Chapters 1-10 are David's victories.  Chapters 11-24 are David's troubles because of his sins.

In a nutshell, here is the story up to the point of this psalm.  I just love 1/2 Samuel.

•  David grieves over the deaths of Saul/Jonathan and David is now king. [But just of Judah]
  •  The two houses [of Saul and David] have great battles and David is finally made king over all of Israel [There is still just one kingdom at this point].
  •  David tries to bring the Ark back to Jerusalem and makes two attempts: one failed and one succeeded.
  •  God makes a covenant with David to build a continuing lineage for David.
  •  David sleeps with Bathsheba and has Uriah killed.  God, through Nathan, says that their will be punishment in store.
  •  Amnon [David's son] rapes Tamar [David's daughter].  David does nothing.  Absalom [David's son] plots to rise over David and almost succeeds.

When Absalom runs David out of town and David leaves seemingly defeated, a man on the side of the road begins to hurl insults at David.  He called David a "man of blood" and "worthless" and told him that "God had given the kingdom to Absalom".  He also throws rocks and dirt at David.

One of David's mighty men wants to cut the man's head off, but David says no.  David says that if God told the man to curse David, then so be it.

David is at a very low point here and this is why he says "many are saying of my soul, 'There is no salvation for him in God.'"

• This is Worthy 3
  • Brilliant! 1

@Jayne: Wow, girl. Just wow. That historical break down was so helpful. I have to read up on my Old Testament so I can be a boss like you! <3 

3 hours ago, Jayne said:

Salvation belongs to the Lord;
    your blessing be on your people!

The last verse is a declaration of his faith and trust in God. No matter what's going on, God is the only salvation. 

• Praise God! 4

@Jayne :th_wave:Thanks so much for this study in the Psalms. I appreciate being able to participate in it. 

Psalm 2-The things that stand out to me:

The awesomeness of God vs the foolishness of humans rising up against Him in their arrogance. I love verse 4 where it says the One enthroned in heaven laughs.

It makes me think of Isa 40:22 "God is the one who rules the whole earth, and we that live here are merely insects." Mere mortals who think themselves much too important.

Some of them even rage against God verbally and shake their fists at the sky. But is God phased by this? Psalm 59:8 says, "But LORD, you laugh at them. You scoff at all the hostile nations."

Actually, what jumped out at me first was verse 7 "I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee."

This makes me think of John 1:14 “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.” 

Psalm 2 is recognized as being one of the 'Messianic psalms' because it contains prophecies/descriptions about Jesus that went on to be fulfilled. 

Another example would be verse 12 where Son is capitalized in the KJV (and many versions) thus referring to Jesus. "Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him."

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 2