Tzephanyahu

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom to you brother/sister in the name of our Lord Yahushua (Jesus Christ)

Imagine you find out your a prophet by Yahweh asking you to marry a prostitute.  Not only to marry her but have kids, let her sleep around and then take her back again!

The Book of Hosea is precious chance to read how Yahweh feels about sin.  Not in “do not do this” and “you shall do that”, but in “it hurts me when you do this” and “I love it when you do that”.

Yahweh shares His feelings through the Hosea in a depiction of, what should be, the most important relationship in our lives, marriage.  

According to the first marriage ever recorded in the Bible, it’s revealed that the man and woman become “one flesh” or, in Hebrew, “echad”.  Echad means; as one, unity, whole.  Your oneness with your spouse is one of the flesh, that is to say, of THIS world. But the one Israel had with Yahweh was one of the spirit, or of the spirit realm.

Yahweh speaks to Israel with the shock of a husband walking in on a cheating wife.  The heartache of a man who gave everything for His wife only to be persistently disrespected, hated and betrayed in return.  So vividly real is the relationship we have with Yahweh and how seriously He values it and the vows.   But let’s remember here, the marriage is only an analogy.  So we should understand that the analogies used in this book are basically to evoke an “emotional wisdom” within us to help us understand - much like a parable.

In the same way, what Hosea is asked to perform some really tough theatrical prophecy (see “Understanding the Prophets” article).  Why was Hosea instructed to act out such things we read in the book? It was probably for the sake of making the message clear to the lay-folk and to embue Hosea with experiential understanding - for passionate speaking.

Hosea (meaning “He saves”) was a prophet to the Northern Kingdom of Israel primarily, warning and pleaing them to change their ways.  Because if they continued to push Yahweh away, He would indeed go and leave them at the mercy of their enemies.  All that they took for granted from their “Husband” will be gone.  His warmth, the supply and the protection.

Unfortunately, Israel did persist to push Yahweh away with their behaviour and were finally exiled.  BUT, not all is so dismal...

Yahweh, in His great love and mercy, says that He will bring them back to Him.  Even after she has gone off prostituting herself for free, satisfying her lusts and suffering the losses.  After she has been ravished by all those she previously wanted, He will take her back, and make her His again.  He will, again, show His deep love and mercy towards her and she will realise her wrongdoings of the past.  Such is Yahweh's love and commitment to Israel - yesterday, today and tomorrow.

FAVOURITE SCRIPTURE: 
Chapter 11 is a very special to me.  I think it’s one of the most amazing passages in the Bible.   This time, rather than relating Israel to a wife, He uses a comparison of another major relationship in our lives, a parent and child.   It breaks my heart when I hear Yahweh speak like this (particularly the pain you can feel in 11:8-11) but, at the same time, it makes my heart swell.  It was with a heavy heart that Yahweh had to finally exile Israel.  But, when repentance and mercy is despised continually, eventually Yahweh will bring judgement.  

NECESSARY BACKGROUND INFO: 
You need to keep the following in mind to not be utterly lost during the book.  So here is a brief news update!

The Northern Kingdom, Israel, is a complete mess.  The dynasty ruling there is the worst its been.  Many false gods are worshipped there, the principle one called Ba’al. Strangely, they also worship Yahweh in the form of a golden calf (again!) which they set up in Bethel.  This was so they didn’t have to go all the way to Jerusalem in the south to the Temple.  Partly out of laziness, partly because of the political climate.  Anyway, it is a dark, dark time. Much bloodshed and cruelty, far from the guidance of Torah. The Northern Kingdom can also referred to as Ephraim and Samaria.  

The Southern Kingdom, Judah, is not in a much better state. Judah had better kings than Israel, but ultimately, they were on very shaky ground at this time.  They can be referred to as Israel and Jacob as well, when Yahweh is talking about all 12 tribes collectively.  That can be quite confusing, but you pick when that context applies through rereads really.  Other synonyms can include Jerusalem and the House of David.  Now, David has been dead for a long time. So the appearance of his name used in this book is in reference to the Messiah - one of His many titles.

Hosea is prophesying roughly between 785 to 722 BC - when Israel was finally exiled.

LESSONS FOR TODAY:
What if we were to understand this book as theatrical prophecy for us today?  Shouldn’t we learn from Israel’s mistakes?  What if, instead of gods, we were worshipping other stuff instead?  

Foreign gods are clearly wrong on the surface level, but let’s look at the symbolic level now.  It’s basically a “thing” which you serve your heart and mind to more than to Yahweh.  It’s also something that comes before Yahweh, in terms of importance.  So perhaps the historical theatre of Israel being attacked and taken into captivity is symbolic warning for us today as well.  

Check out what Paul says about this in Romans, whilst thinking of the historical example of Israel’s fall. Romans 1:18-32 .  The historical example was foreign invaders and captivity - whereas Paul's example is sin and death.  In both instances, what was taken for granted is removed - Yahweh's warmth, supply and protection.  

But there is also a great lesson in Hosea about the love of Yahweh.  His thoughts, feelings and desires are intimately shared with us.  We do not serve an Elohim (God) who is cold towards us and always angry with us, as some think, those who foolishly call Him "the Old Testament God".  No, Yahweh is full of love, compassion, and good will towards us.  He must remain a just judge, but He prefers mercy.  He goes to great lengths to see that we benefit from His merciful side, rather than pushing Him for disciplining correction - which will increase in measure.   

There is also a lesson for husbands and wives in this book.  For how a husband should love and be utterly dedicated to his wife, as Yahweh is, and how a wife should love her husband - by observing the qualities that were lacking in Israel.  Loyalty in marriage these days is very fickle and transient.  But thankfully Yahweh remains loyal and dedicated to His vows, even if we or Israel do not.  Let's not take advantage of that grace and do our best to please Him.  Not to be "saved by obedience"m but rather to please Him with our obedience.

If possible, keep all the above in mind, the next time you read Hosea.  It will open up alternative layer of reading of the book, of Yahweh’s love and zeal and serve as a sober warning pleaing for our obedience, before it's too late.

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Tzephanyahu said:

In the same way, what Hosea is asked to perform some really tough theatrical prophecy (see “Understanding the Prophets” article).  Why was Hosea instructed to act out such things we read in the book? It was probably for the sake of making the message clear to the lay-folk and to embue Hosea with experiential understanding - for passionate speaking.

Where do I find this article? I'm about 1/3 of the way through in teaching the major and minor prophets in my community Bible study and I'd like to read it if you have a link.

Edited by Jayne

8 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Where do I find this article?

Ah, apologies,  it was an article I wrote for my wife.  It's not currently on WCF. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

9 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Ah, apologies,  it was an article I wrote for my wife.  It's not currently on WCF. 

ok

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I struggle somewhat with the ending of Hosea- that it doesn't end with reconciliation - at least, not in that particular book. 

• 2 weeks later...

Shalom @sapphire15

On 10/29/2019 at 8:31 AM, sapphire15 said:

I struggle somewhat with the ending of Hosea- that it doesn't end with reconciliation - at least, not in that particular book. 

What is it you struggle with specifically in the end of Hosea? Style, content or other?  Perhaps I can help.

Love & Shalom

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Thanks for your reply.    Perhaps I need to read it again.    From memory, in the end there is no mention of whether Hosea's wife repents and stays faithful.   

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  133
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

This is my favorite Old Testament book. I agree with you that here Yahweh reveals His passion

and love for the people He has chosen. One of my favorite verses is Hosea 9:10: 

"When I found Israel, it was like finding grapes in the desert; when I saw your ancestors, it was like seeing the early fruit on the fig tree. But when they came to Baal Peor, they consecrated themselves to that shameful idol and became as vile as the thing they loved." Also in Hosea 11:3-4, we see the LORD's posture toward Israel as He took them to Himself.

It was I who taught Ephraim to walk,
    taking them by the arms;
but they did not realize
    it was I who healed them.
 I led them with cords of human kindness,
    with ties of love.
To them I was like one who lifts
    a little child to the cheek,
    and I bent down to feed them.

This is so encouraging to me and helps me better understand Jesus' parable of the Prodigal son. Indeed,

God is in love with His people, and this makes life worth living on the toughest days. Of course, the devil

is always telling us the opposite, but he is a liar. 

It is so much easier to serve God because of love rather than duty. Indeed, the more we understand His love,

the more we can love.

• Well Said! 1

7 hours ago, Lolly said:

It is so much easier to serve God because of love rather than duty. Indeed, the more we understand His love,

the more we can love.

Well said sister. 

Yes, Hosea is tragic because of the situation but beautiful because it reveals the passion and heart of Yahweh towards thise He loves. 

I think your heart has hit the target in understanding this book.  The Spirit has surely been with you as you have read it. 

If you loved the verses above, surely you will also love my favourite Scripture. Zephaniah 3:17...

Yahweh your God in your midst,
The Mighty One, will save; (the route word for Yeshua!
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.”

I don't know whether to laugh or cry over such a verse. 

Love & Shalom 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  133
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

4 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Well said sister. 

Yes, Hosea is tragic because of the situation but beautiful because it reveals the passion and heart of Yahweh towards thise He loves. 

I think your heart has hit the target in understanding this book.  The Spirit has surely been with you as you have read it. 

If you loved the verses above, surely you will also love my favourite Scripture. Zephaniah 3:17...

Yahweh your God in your midst,
The Mighty One, will save; (the route word for Yeshua!
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.”

I don't know whether to laugh or cry over such a verse. 

Love & Shalom 

It's beautiful. God is beautiful.

Blessings

• Praise God! 1