JoeCanada

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  347
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2

The apostles escaped from prison in such a way that no one was hurt. 

And laid their hands on the apostles, and put them in the common prison. But the angel of the Lord by night opened the prison doors, and brought them forth, and said, Go, stand and speak in the temple to the people all the words of this life. — ‭Acts‬ ‭5:18-20‬

Paul saved the lives of his enemies and captors when their lives were in peril. He did this with the jailor whom Frienduff mentioned earlier, and he also did it during the shipwreck in Acts 27.

We have no example in Scripture of a Christian being violent. Not for defense, protection, or stopping an enemy. The apostles spent so much time in prison because there was no violence resistance.

Edited by pg4Him

1 minute ago, nzkev said:

Buy a sword and run away....The example you used was Jesus Have you tried to do everything Jesus did?

I’m sorry, but the basket story was Paul.

Shall we look at more examples?

And when there was an assault made both of the Gentiles, and also of the Jews with their rulers, to use them despitefully, and to stone them, They were ware of it, and fled unto Lystra and Derbe, cities of Lycaonia, and unto the region that lieth round about — ‭Acts‬ ‭14:5-6‬

And there came thither certain Jews from Antioch and Iconium, who persuaded the people, and, having stoned Paul, drew him out of the city, supposing he had been dead. Howbeit, as the disciples stood round about him, he rose up, and came into the city: and the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe. —‭Acts‬ ‭14:19-20‬

Now let’s see what Jesus said to the church of Smyrna:

Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life. — ‭Revelation‬ ‭2:10‬

He told them ahead of time they would be arrested, tried, and executed... no call for armed rebellion to stop it.

2 minutes ago, nzkev said:

I didnt say the basket story, But i knew you would jump on that, Luke‬ ‭4:28-30‬

Whats your point Be like Jesus or paul? You think you are?

Scripture is given to us for instruction and direction. I can’t do whatever I want to do just because I’m not as good as Paul. You know better than that. You know you would oppose this logic if a man cheated on his wife because he’s no apostle Paul.

I’m looking at Scripture to see what have to work with on this topic. Aside from one vague comment about buying a sword, do you have anything else to hang your hat on?

1 minute ago, nzkev said:

You use personal situations for the spread of the gospel, not defending innocent lives. cant you see the difference

As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison. Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word. — ‭Acts‬ ‭8:3-4‬

Saul/Paul broke into people’s houses to arrest them for being Christian. He was successful. No one used violence to stop him.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

To everything there is a season,
A time for every purpose under heaven:

A time to be born,
And a time to die;
A time to plant,
And a time to pluck what is planted;

A time to kill,
And a time to heal;
A time to break down,
And a time to build up;

A time to weep,
And a time to laugh;
A time to mourn,
And a time to dance;

A time to cast away stones,
And a time to gather stones; A time to embrace,
And a time to refrain from embracing;

A time to gain,
And a time to lose;
A time to keep,
And a time to throw away;

A time to tear,
And a time to sew; A time to keep silence,
And a time to speak;

A time to love,
And a time to hate;
A time of war,
And a time of peace.

I personally find a good way to approach this is to simply ask "Lord? What time is it?"

It's difficult for me to imagine a father  or husband who would willingly watch his wife  or kids abused or  harmed in any way while he had any  ability whatsoever left to stop it. 

This is definitely arguable, but I think this verse extends beyond talking about just natural provision of life's necessities.  My understanding is  a father who is not also a protector is not modeling the image of Father as he should.

But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Edited by Jostler

I see what’s happening on this thread. There’s no desire for an objective look at Scripture. There’s a desire to find some kind of way to support violent resistance.

I won’t waste any more of my time here.

3 minutes ago, pg4Him said:

I see what’s happening on this thread. There’s no desire for an objective look at Scripture. There’s a desire to find some kind of way to support violent resistance.

I won’t waste any more of my time here.

What would you say to  a soldier?

2 minutes ago, Jostler said:

What would you say to  a soldier?

If the laws of the land demand a soldier to go and fight, he should obey his masters. The soldiers in the Old Testament were fighting for their nation in physical wars against other governments. The apostles never condemned anyone for being a soldier or police officer. Jesus clearly blessed Roman military leaders who came to Him for healing.

Our question at hand on this thread is whether Christians should use violence to prevent persecution. When faced with a spiritual attack against us for the sake of Christ, shall we kill people for it? The New Testament tells us over and over to endure persecution. Prison, beatings, stonings, you name it. The early church endured these things as a witness of their love for Christ. It’s much easier say you love the Lord as long as you have a gun to make sure no one hurts you for it. Quite a different story when your faith can get you killed.

1 minute ago, pg4Him said:

If the laws of the land demand a soldier to go and fight, he should obey his masters. The soldiers in the Old Testament were fighting for their nation in physical wars against other governments. The apostles never condemned anyone for being a soldier or police officer. Jesus clearly blessed Roman military leaders who came to Him for healing.

Our question at hand on this thread is whether Christians should use violence to prevent persecution. When faced with a spiritual attack against us for the sake of Christ, shall we kill people for it? The New Testament tells us over and over to endure persecution. Prison, beatings, stonings, you name it. The early church endured these things as a witness of their love for Christ. It’s much easier say you love the Lord as long as you have a gun to make sure no one hurts you for it. Quite a different story when your faith can get you killed.

Lets push  this to another circumstance.  Will our responsibility to submit to those who want us dead remain the  same after the  mark of the  beast is instituted?  Or will be be righteous in defending ourselves and those He's given us responsibility for when people who have utterly doomed themselves eternally seek our lives?