• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/12/1969

OK, I've been visiting different churches. Trying to find a church home. I just wanted to ask opinions here, cause I never heard of this or seen it. "Communion to GO!" They have ushers at the exits. The pastor says to get tis communion cups and wafers to take with you. And sometime during your week, get by yourself and take your communion. Is this ok? Is this even Biblical? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

1 minute ago, BeauJangles said:

That is absolutely ludicrous, and I have never heard of this. 

No, it's not okay at all. The reason for communion in the first place, is one of the body of Christ taking part in the symbolism of His body broken for us, and His precious blood shed for us. Partaking whether in unison, of one after the other, depends on the church and how they go about this. But the concept of it, is for all to be in one accord for Christ's sacrifice, and not some kind of solo experience. I've heard of ultra-modern, but this is way over the top. Keep looking for another church - this definitely isn't the way it should be.  

Wow, thank you. I feel so lost, coming out of my last church experience. This felt so, not right. But I'm scared right now to trust my feelings, because they are so raw. Thank you. 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

@Lois Martin

I thought I'd heard it all...  :) 

My initial reaction is that communion is meant to be celebrated together.    However, I have been in communion services where it was an extended time of prayer and reflection where everyone had the elements but partook at their own timing rather than together.  The last church I was in would do that on occasion instead of the typical doing it all at the same time.  In one sense, we were all in the same room but doing it separately.  What is described might not be all that different from that.

Do they do this all the time or was this a one time thing?  Was a reason given for this? 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

2 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

My initial reaction is that communion is meant to be celebrated together.    However, I have been in communion services where it was an extended time of prayer and reflection where everyone had the elements but partook at their own timing rather than together.

Amen, my case in point... Glad you had this to add to it. Thanks, bro. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

@Lois Martin

I thought I'd heard it all...  :) 

My initial reaction is that communion is meant to be celebrated together.    However, I have been in communion services where it was an extended time of prayer and reflection where everyone had the elements but partook at their own timing rather than together.  The last church I was in would do that on occasion instead of the typical doing it all at the same time.  In one sense, we were all in the same room but doing it separately.  What is described might not be all that different from that.

Do they do this all the time or was this a one time thing?  Was a reason given for this? 

I don't know. As this was a first for me. It just seemed unusual. And I wasn't led spiritually. But, I didn't know know if it were biblical or not. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, Lois Martin said:

OK, I've been visiting different churches. Trying to find a church home. I just wanted to ask opinions here, cause I never heard of this or seen it. "Communion to GO!" They have ushers at the exits. The pastor says to get tis communion cups and wafers to take with you. And sometime during your week, get by yourself and take your communion. Is this ok? Is this even Biblical? 

No, that is way too worldly. Communion is to share with those in your Church. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

Next thing you know, little “Communion kits” will be available at Wal-Mart”— next to the Zesta crackers....

Edited by Blood Bought 1953
  • Haha 3

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,397
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

It was often brought up in churches I went to that Communion was a time for self examination. One pastor in particular really made it a point to emphasize that. It's a sentiment that I strongly agree with. I feel like Communion to go runs the risk of missing on that element. In church you have a pastor to remind you of that, given thanks in praise and worship, and you've hopefully felt the presence of God there that day.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,276
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

I also appreciate taking communion as part of the worship service.   It seems like I sense God's presence more that way.... listening to the pastor, examining one's heart.

I visited a big church one time that was made up of basically all very young people.   I was surprised to see on the wall in the lobby, a poster about taking communion there, by one's self....by the poster!   Never went back to that church because the music was so deafening!

• Thumbs Up 1