• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Lois Martin said:

"Communion to GO!"

Oye Vey!  *facepalm*  Misses the point entirely.

What's next? An inflatable family of God to have home groups with?

• Haha 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

3 hours ago, AnOrangeCat said:

It was often brought up in churches I went to that Communion was a time for self examination. One pastor in particular really made it a point to emphasize that. It's a sentiment that I strongly agree with. I feel like Communion to go runs the risk of missing on that element. In church you have a pastor to remind you of that, given thanks in praise and worship, and you've hopefully felt the presence of God there that day.

I respectfully disagree .Jesus  said “ Do this in remembrance of ME”. Not YOU.All minds should be on Christ and what HE did. HIS PERFORMANCE and not ours! To take our eyes off Christ and onto us is the very definition of partaking “ unwortily”. If you have conjured up a delusion of looking at your life as being “ worthy”....... you have missed the entire point of this simple, sacred ceremony that exalts our Savior, not our pitiful performances, regardless of how much we have “ Improved” since being indwelt with God’s Spirit.We have been instructed to partake “ worthily”. That is an adverb that does not refer to us and our self-assessment.It is describing the MANNER in which we partake,NOT whether we are “ good enough” to partake.We are never “ worthy” to do ANY thing.We are “ MADE WORTHY” by the Blood of the Lamb and that is what we are to acknowledging at the Lord’s Supper.In Paul’s day, they were making a joke out of it —- partying and getting drunk.It lead to the death of many.I suggest the next time one engages in Communion, do it the right way- get your eyes off of yourself and do it in REMEMBRANCE of HIM.That’s the way to do it “ worthily”. God Bless.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

I respectfully disagree .Jesus  said “ Do this in remembrance of ME”. Not YOU.All minds should be on Christ and what HE did. HIS PERFORMANCE and not ours! To take our eyes off Christ and onto us is the very definition of partaking “ unwortily”. If you have conjured up a delusion of looking at your life as being “ worthy”....... you have missed the entire point of this simple, sacred ceremony that exalts our Savior, not our pitiful performances, regardless of how much we have “ Improved” since being indwelt with God’s Spirit.We have been instructed to partake “ worthily”. That is an adverb that does not refer to us and our self-assessment.It is describing the MANNER in which we partake,NOT whether we are “ good enough” to partake.We are never “ worthy” to do ANY thing.We are “ MADE WORTHY” by the Blood of the Lamb and that is what we are to acknowledging at the Lord’s Supper.In Paul’s day, they were making a joke out of it —- partying and getting drunk.It lead to the death of many.I suggest the next time one engages in Communion, do it the right way- get your eyes off of yourself and do it in REMEMBRANCE of HIM.That’s the way to do it “ worthily”. God Bless.

I'll clarify a little. I absolutely agree that we aren't worthy and won't ever be by our own virtues. If we're ever thinking something like "I've done so much good I'm worthy of this" then yes, I wholeheartedly agree that we're missing the point. People were indeed getting drunk and making a joke out of Communion at that time, but it also speaks of divisions within the church and that some people in the church were going hungry while others were getting drunk and having a good time.

That said the need to examine and judge ourselves is in fact mentioned twice in the verses in 1 Corinthians 17 that speak of taking Communion, so I do feel that it's scriptural to consider our own lives as part of the process. Are we harboring unforgiveness against someone? Are we willingly, knowingly continuing in a particular sin God has been dealing with us about? Then Communion is a fine time to resolve to let it go, even if it's going to take time and we're bound to stumble along the way. If we can see sin and unforgiveness within ourselves as we take Communion and aren't moved to at least try to do better through Christ then isn't that also a form of disrespecting the sacrifice He made for us, thus partaking unworthily?

For me there's an inherent I/me/you/us/we involved in remembering His death, sacrifice, and resurrection because it was done for us. If we just say "Jesus died." we're missing part of the equation. Why did He die? On the other hand if we say "Jesus died for our sins." it gives a more complete picture. How we respond to His act of love adds further meaning to the sentence. I feel that while we should strive to do better through Christ at all times and truly look at ourselves to see if there's sin in our lives, Communion is a very good time to bring it to the forefront and humbly ask things like "Am I doing alright, Lord? Can I do better in honoring You and Your sacrifice by changing something in my life?"

Hopefully that explains my position without coming on too strongly.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

13 hours ago, Lois Martin said:

OK, I've been visiting different churches. Trying to find a church home. I just wanted to ask opinions here, cause I never heard of this or seen it. "Communion to GO!" They have ushers at the exits. The pastor says to get tis communion cups and wafers to take with you. And sometime during your week, get by yourself and take your communion. Is this ok? Is this even Biblical? 

Communion is nice, but real Communion, I believe, is having a relationship with the Lord. "Pray constantly," as Paul taught us (1 Thess 5:17).

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/12/1969

6 hours ago, pinacled said:

??? Like, what does any of this have to do with the question I asked??? Confused!!

• Haha 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  1

Communion as taught in the New Testament was taken after everyone has eaten a meal together, back in my church in the States that's how we did it, after Sunday's service we had a potluck where everyone brought something to eat, then after the meal we had a time of worship and then Communion, ...man do I miss that!

So when searching for a church, make certain it's a Word based, Bible teaching church and then ask about their Communion service, ...most important, ...what I did, ask Father to place you in the Church He has for you.

Lord bless

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, JustPassingThru said:

Communion as taught in the New Testament was taken after everyone has eaten a meal together, back in my church in the States that's how we did it, after Sunday's service we had a potluck where everyone brought something to eat, then after the meal we had a time of worship and then Communion, ...man do I miss that!

Oh, now I think that's really nice... :amen:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

1 hour ago, JustPassingThru said:

So when searching for a church, make certain it's a Word based, Bible teaching church and then ask about their Communion service, ...most important, ...what I did, ask Father to place you in the Church He has for you.

Lord bless

I  kinda wondered about that more than once.  When did we decide the  Lord's supper was a cracker and a jigger of grape juice?

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

20 hours ago, Lois Martin said:

??? Like, what does any of this have to do with the question I asked??? Confused!!

I followed the link... You're right. Now we're both confused! :huh:

• Haha 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

20 hours ago, Lois Martin said:

Its pablum trying to pass for “ deep thinking”. It needs to be ignored.

• Haha 1