• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

3 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Its pablum trying to pass for “ deep thinking”. It needs to be ignored.

Yes, well I did notice right away, that it had nothing to do with communion. :whistling:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

On 7/20/2019 at 10:07 AM, AnOrangeCat said:

I'll clarify a little. I absolutely agree that we aren't worthy and won't ever be by our own virtues. If we're ever thinking something like "I've done so much good I'm worthy of this" then yes, I wholeheartedly agree that we're missing the point. People were indeed getting drunk and making a joke out of Communion at that time, but it also speaks of divisions within the church and that some people in the church were going hungry while others were getting drunk and having a good time.

That said the need to examine and judge ourselves is in fact mentioned twice in the verses in 1 Corinthians 17 that speak of taking Communion, so I do feel that it's scriptural to consider our own lives as part of the process. Are we harboring unforgiveness against someone? Are we willingly, knowingly continuing in a particular sin God has been dealing with us about? Then Communion is a fine time to resolve to let it go, even if it's going to take time and we're bound to stumble along the way. If we can see sin and unforgiveness within ourselves as we take Communion and aren't moved to at least try to do better through Christ then isn't that also a form of disrespecting the sacrifice He made for us, thus partaking unworthily?

For me there's an inherent I/me/you/us/we involved in remembering His death, sacrifice, and resurrection because it was done for us. If we just say "Jesus died." we're missing part of the equation. Why did He die? On the other hand if we say "Jesus died for our sins." it gives a more complete picture. How we respond to His act of love adds further meaning to the sentence. I feel that while we should strive to do better through Christ at all times and truly look at ourselves to see if there's sin in our lives, Communion is a very good time to bring it to the forefront and humbly ask things like "Am I doing alright, Lord? Can I do better in honoring You and Your sacrifice by changing something in my life?"

Hopefully that explains my position without coming on too strongly.

Checking up on our performance is all well and good at the proper time and place.Jesus did not say to “ do this in remembrance of how well you are improving and catching areas where you fall short” Despite the good intentions, I believe that this is the one place that we should keep our eyes off ourselves, and concentrate on His Blood and His Body as He requests. “To partake worthily” is to partake in a worthy manner.....keeping our eyes on His Sacrifice.Jesus is King Of the universe.He gave us His all in order to save us.He abandoned a glorious Heaven to walk  dusty streets to become like us.In spite of all of this, it does not appear that He often asks us to set aside some sacred time to concentrate solely on what HE did.Jesus could rightly declare that we stay on our knees and rightly exalt Him 24/7.He does not choose to do this. Can’t we set aside some time where He gets ALL the credit without us intruding? Despite the best of intentions? I think this is what He wants.....I think this is how we “ partake worthily”

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Checking up on our performance is all well and good at the proper time and place.Jesus did not say to “ do this in remembrance of how well you are improving and catching areas where you fall short” Despite the good intentions, I believe that this is the one place that we should keep our eyes off ourselves, and concentrate on His Blood and His Body as He requests. “To partake worthily” is to partake in a worthy manner.....keeping our eyes on His Sacrifice.

Yes, very true. All of this. I believe that beyond the 'do this in remembrance of me', there was also a direct mention to the disciples that one would deny, while yet another would betray. So they each in turn asked, "Is it me, Lord?" They all had to examine themselves, and it seems to be a centralized theme of today's communion services. And so we ask ourselves, "Are we worthy to partake in the first place?" 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Jostler said:

I  kinda wondered about that more than once.  When did we decide the  Lord's supper was a cracker and a jigger of grape juice?

Yes..., Communion is so much more than that, Communion is just one part of the Koinonia in the body of Christ:

And they were continuing steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine, and in fellowship and in the breaking of the loaves, and in prayers.  And fear came on every soul. And many wonders and miracles took place through the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things common.  And they sold their possessions and goods and distributed them to all, according as anyone had need.  And continuing with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they shared food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.   Acts 2:42-47

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

...and concentrate on His Blood and His Body as He requests. “To partake worthily” is to partake in a worthy manner.....keeping our eyes on His Sacrifice.

The song we sang during Communion

I Remember

With this cup I remember Thee

And the Blood that was shed for me

With this bread I break and eat

Humbly bow and worship

Broken hearted at Your feet.

I remember

I remember

I remember You

Words by Terry Clark 

...which he sang when he came to teach at our church

Edited by JustPassingThru
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/12/1969

We tried a new church today. And they did communion. I know I have hurtful feeling in my heart over the pain coming from my last church. And no, those feelings aren't completely resolve. But yet I did ask God to clean my heart, And forgive me my part. Hard feelings. I took communion. But I know I still have issues to work through. Was that wrong?

• Praise God! 2

• Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,360
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Lois, good advice given above, what you have witnessed certainly is NOT God edifying. What you are describing seems to be another sad state of where "christians" are at right now, it's almost as if it's a "drive through" church, oh , and take the emblems on your way thru the check out, how sad. We celebrate The Lord's Supper every week at our assembly, and the other 6 days my wife and I celebrate it in our morning prayer time together, before the busyness of the day "raises its head." By the way, that's just where we're at in our walk, just saying, God bless as you look for a good fellowship.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

5 hours ago, Jostler said:

I  kinda wondered about that more than once.  When did we decide the  Lord's supper was a cracker and a jigger of grape juice?

In the church I was born into until my latter teen years, it was matzo and a mini shot glass of grape juice. They were adamantly against the use of wine, but at least matzo is unleavened. Congregants would take off a bite sized piece from the matzo, and partake of the juice simultaneously. Later on, I became a Presbyterian for almost a couple of years. They used diced up cubes of white enriched sliced bread. I thought it was detestable. <_<  

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

6 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

In the church I was born into until my latter teen years, it was matzo and a mini shot glass of grape juice. They were adamantly against the use of wine, but at least matzo is unleavened. Congregants would take off a bite sized piece from the matzo, and partake of the juice simultaneously. Later on, I became a Presbyterian for almost a couple of years. They used diced up cubes of white enriched sliced bread. I thought it was detestable. <_<  

lessee, bleached, germ and bran removed, full of yeast and chemical preservatives.....  you reckon that's symbolic  of  anything?  :)  In any case it sure  seems to violate the symbolic meaning in  the Lord's supper.....but just might be an accurate picture at the  same time.

Might not be worth a flip nutritionally, but it sho' is purty :)

Edited by Jostler
  • Haha 1