angels4u

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

Well, it's definitely been HOT in northern Louisiana.  With a heat index that's miserable.  We've had a relief the past few days of where it's only in the mid-80's. But that won't last long.

Getting out just to go to the grocery store or Walgreens is very draining.

A man I went to school with in the dinosaur days died last week.  He worked in the heat too long and got violently sick.  He went home and tried to take a shower to cool off but it was too late.  He collapsed and died in the shower.  His 7-year-old grandson found him dead.  At least someone had taught the boy how and who to call if something is wrong.

Extreme heat is nothing to play with.

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 7/20/2019 at 3:31 PM, walla299 said:

Nothing.  :laugh:

I live in the desert southwest so the high summer temps are normal this time of year. I do things the same way I always do: get up early and get the errands, car maintenance, etc. out of the way before it gets really hot, and spend the hot part of the day inside, then possibly come outside in the evening like the rest of the desert critters.  

Spending the hot part of the day inside the home down here in Texas is called la siesta. Snoozzzing.
I always try to abide by the local customs.   "Vamos a la casa fresca"

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

12 minutes ago, Sower said:

Spending the hot part of the day inside the home down here in Texas is called la siesta. Snoozzzing.
I always try to abide by the local customs.   "Vamos a la casa fresca"

:laugh:   I hear that.

Some relatives from cold country asked my how I was dealing with the heat on Skype. I told them it was 112 outside and a comfortable 80 inside, so the heat of the day wasn't a problem. The look on their face? Priceless.  :)

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,934
  • Content Per Day:  3.07

1 hour ago, Jayne said:

A man I went to school with in the dinosaur days died last week.  He worked in the heat too long and got violently sick.  He went home and tried to take a shower to cool off but it was too late.  He collapsed and died in the shower.  His 7-year-old grandson found him dead. 

If u r over fifty years n u drink cold water n hv a cold shower after having a sport or muscle work in a hot day, you Will almost certainly die at the shower because ur veins Will suddenly shrink, thats why many people died on the shower or just after that.

Edited by R. Hartono

8 minutes ago, R. Hartono said:

If u r over fifty years n u drink cold water n hv a cold shower after having a sport or muscle work in a hot day, you Will almost certainly die at the shower because ur veins Will suddenly shrink, thats why many people died on the shower.

Might want to reconsider.

Heatstroke
treatment centers on cooling your body to a normal temperature to prevent or reduce damage to your brain and vital organs.
To do this, your doctor may take these steps:

• Immerse you in cold water. A bath of cold or ice water has been proved to be the most effective way of quickly lowering your core body temperature. The quicker you can receive cold water immersion, the less risk of death and organ damage.
  • Use evaporation cooling techniques. If cold water immersion is unavailable, health care workers may try to lower your body temperature using an evaporation method. Cool water is misted on your body while warm air is fanned over you, causing the water to evaporate and cool your skin.
  • Pack you with ice and cooling blankets. Another method is to wrap you in a special cooling blanket and apply ice packs to your groin, neck, back and armpits to lower your temperature.
  • Give you medications to stop your shivering. If treatments to lower your body temperature make you shiver, your doctor may give you a muscle relaxant, such as a benzodiazepine. Shivering increases your body temperature, making treatment less effective.

Treatment for Heat Exhaustion

If you, or anyone else, has symptoms of heat exhaustion, it's essential to immediately get out of the heat and rest, preferably in an air-conditioned room. If you can't get inside, try to find the nearest cool and shady place.

Other recommended strategies include:

• Drink plenty of fluids, especially sports drinks to replace lost salt (avoid caffeine and alcohol).
  • Remove any tight or unnecessary clothing.
  • Take a cool shower, bath, or sponge bath.
  • Apply other cooling measures such as fans or ice towels.

53 minutes ago, walla299 said:

:laugh:   I hear that.

Some relatives from cold country asked my how I was dealing with the heat on Skype. I told them it was 112 outside and a comfortable 80 inside, so the heat of the day wasn't a problem. The look on their face? Priceless.  :)

Same here in Texas. Had a cool front last few days and has only reached to mid nineties, nights in low seventies.
Were about to get the sweaters,  but now the suns back in full force.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell”
General Philip Henry Sheridan

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

Years ago I spent a week in Acapulco Mexico and was shocked to see that this Siesta stuff was serious stuff.....almost everything was closed from 1 to 4 in the afternoon....I soon understood why.....Our Mexican friends showed wisdom in that tradition......

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Inside or outside in hot weather -- hydrate hydrate hydrate.

Learn the warning signs of heat exhaustion and when it progresses far  enough that you should seek emergency treatment. 

Remember that pets do not sweat. They lack an ability to cool off the way humans do.They can suffer too from the heat.

I live in phoenix arizona, where temps exceed 100 for several months. It was somewhere around 114 today. We survive by being smart about the heat (mostly) but people and pets die too often. 

Tricks I use to keep cool-ish. If outside, use any scrap of shade you can. Cotton clothes breathe better than synthetics.  I use a hand fan and that helps me a lot. Your neck and head radiate heat, which is why you keep it warm in winter. So keep it cool in summer. Damp bandanas around the neck help if you are outside. No air conditioner? If you have an electric fan, a bowl of ice in front of it will cool the air a few degrees.

We have gone to drive in movies in mid summer when it is still 100 degrees at midnight. We have an ice chest between us with ice in it. A ziplock of ice around our upper body helps keep us cool too.