• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hey all,

When i visited my grandparents last week, I sat down and talked to my grandfather about blasphemy (i do know what it is) also (do keep in mind that he used to be a priest so it would be obvious that I would ask him about christian related things and is currently 93 years old). Naturally, he gave me a long explanation about it which did not seem to answer my question but it was nice to talk to him since he is getting older and I’ve been trying to talk to him about anything really.

Anyways, once we finished I went upstairs and once I came down I overheard him talking to my dad and he said that ‘I was lacking fundamentals in Christianity.

I was actually kind of shocked that he said that. I do feel like I have the fundamentals of Christianity.

Every since he said that, a lot of questions have started to arise such as: Do I really have faith in God or do I think that I have faith? Is my grandpa right since he dedicated his whole life to the teaching of God? Should I stop being a Christian since someone with such wisdom and knowledge said that about me?

I am a teenager with a lot to explore about Christianity, so I am still learning about Christianity but I think that I have an appropriate amount of understanding for someone my age.

P.S If any of you would like me to explain something further, just ask. :) Also if there are some spelling issues, forgive me since I have written his on my phone.

So what do you guys think? 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

13 minutes ago, Peteros said:

Should I stop being a Christian since someone with such wisdom and knowledge said that about me?

Why would you want to do that? :huh:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  398
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

There are numerous items to focus on in your question:

1.     First and foremost, God is proud of you for having an interest in all things spiritual, even as a teen-ager, which is rare now days.  It is indeed possible to be spiritual as a teen, as the beloved Timothy was spiritual even as a child:  “You, however, continue in the things that you learned and were persuaded to believe, knowing from whom you learned them and that from infancy you have known the holy writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus” (2 Timothy 3:14, 15).

In Ecclesiastes 11:9, young people are reminded to “Rejoice, young man, in your youth, and let your heart do you good in the days of your young manhood, and walk in the ways of your heart and in the things seen by your eyes.”   One of the reasons why young people should cultivate their own spirituality and concentrate on Christian fundamentals is found a couple of verses later:  “Remember, now, your Grand Creator in the days of your young manhood, before the calamitous days proceed to come, or the years have arrived when you will say: “I have no delight in them” (Ecclesiastes 12:1).  Youth, a precious time in life wherein one has few responsibilities and is blessed with great energy, is the perfect time to serve God with a whole heart (see Psalm 119:10).  What transpires after youth is poetically described in numerous versus right after Ecclesiastes 12:1, and this brings us to the next point.

2.     After youth, a person arrives in a stage of life when physical energies are low and when older folks slow down in mental processes and when aged individuals sometimes say things that are inappropriate and ill-advised and do not reflect reality, as reality can get distorted due to clouded thinking: “[when] “the clouds have returned” (Ecclesiastes 12:2).  Perhaps your 93 year old grandfather is no longer able to perceive the true qualities that you exhibit.  You should not despair in what he said to you, but rather, continue to show patience to him and continue to focus on refining your spirituality.  Speaking of refinement, please note:

3.     Our spirituality is always under test and some of these tests come from well-meaning friends and relatives.  But we must build the foundation of our Christian fundamentals with fire-resistant materials, as we are reminded in 1 Corinthians 3:10-15.  Peteros, just because someone says something that discourages you, you can’t let that sway you from serving God.  Let this little test of your faith serve as training moment that will allow you to become stronger in your faith.  Continue to show love and kindness to your aging grandfather and you will find that your faith will grow; after all, you are serving our Creator, not your grandfather.

Bless you in your ongoing efforts to become a kingdom proclaimer!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom @Peteros

2 hours ago, Peteros said:

Anyways, once we finished I went upstairs and once I came down I overheard him talking to my dad and he said that ‘I was lacking fundamentals in Christianity.

The older generation are always going to think that they have got it right and the younger generation does not.  Whether they are actually right or not, is known only to Yahweh (God). 

I don't know what your understanding is of the Bible and of the Lord Jesus, but I can say this to you (and everyone reading): Never assume you have understood the fundamentals!

Christians spend a lot of time on understanding the Bible by selected verses - whether it's in devotionals, through a TV preacher, a Christian self-help book and even church.  They can feel very grounded in the Bible but still have vast gaps in their knowledge on the fundamentals.  

So how can you get the fundamentals?  If you can read the New Testament, cover-to-cover, with no preconceived ideas (from Christianity, the Church, Sunday school) then you will learn them.  This is what it means to "receive the Kingdom of God like a child" - that means will innocence, simplicity and no man-made teachings and traditions.  I would recommend you to do that, and eventually the whole Bible, Old and New Testaments, and you'll be well grounded.

But don't limit yourself and your faith to the opinion of others.  So what if he used to be a priest?  Aren't you are teenager who is humble enough to admit you still have much to learn?  Therefore, ignore what this or that person says about your faith.  It's between you and Yahweh at this stage.

One other thing, just a technicality which might help you. Rather than thinking you want to learn more about "Christianity", reframe that to wanting to learn more about the Bible.  Even though you are a Christian, the term "Christianity" comes with a lot of trappings of religions.  There are a lot of traditions and errors in Christianity as a religion, mixed in with the good and the truth.  Therefore, seek to learn more about the Bible than Christianity.  Who you will become will massively overlap with Christianity - but will not extend to the additional trappings, traditions and errors, added by mere men.  

One final thing for you my friend, again: Never assume you have understood the fundamentals - even when you reach 93.  A wise man once said: The greatest barrier for seeing the truth, is to assume you already know it.  To this day, as a Christian for about 15 years, I still never assume them and always count myself as an amateur.  I always read the Bible with an open mind and a clean slate - ready to cast aside any theology I may have picked up which isn't in the Bible.  And praise Yahweh, this is how He will reveal truth to you.  The Word is alive!  One day you will read it and see one thing, the next month another.  The Holy Spirit takes you through this life-long journey of the Bible at a walking pace.  So remain humble and never assume "Yep, I know all there is to know about this and that".  

If you need any guides or helps for reading through the Scripture, just let me know.  I know of some handy resources which will help you.

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

What do you understand makes one a Christian?

What do you believe about Jesus?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

Hi Peteros,

Becoming a Christian is a growth process in faith and trust in our Lord.  You will have lots of questions (reading the Bible is highly recommended) and prayer time with God to lead you into His will. Having questions is healthy because it allows you to find /seek your answers and strengthen your faith.  Years ago, i wondered about "blasphemy" and this is what i understood it to mean. It is attributing the works of Jesus to the devil (something the religious leaders of Jesus day) were constantly doing.  They knew the bible and the prophecies speaking about Jesus but they refused to believe His miracles attesting to who He was.  

It's obvious you love your grandfather and his opinion means much to you. However, keep in mind that no one absolutely no one knows your true heart .... only God knows you through and through.  Trust the Lord fully!  The bible is such an amazing book given to us to teach us how to live and understand God's purpose for us. Becoming a Christian doesn't instantly give us all the answers, even though we have the Holy Spirit indwelling us to guide and assist us. Your faith doesn't rest on your Grandfather's opinion. Don't let doubts deter you from pursuing your quest to find the answers you seek.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

On 7/21/2019 at 1:14 AM, Peteros said:

Hey all,

When i visited my grandparents last week, I sat down and talked to my grandfather about blasphemy (i do know what it is) also (do keep in mind that he used to be a priest so it would be obvious that I would ask him about christian related things and is currently 93 years old). Naturally, he gave me a long explanation about it which did not seem to answer my question but it was nice to talk to him since he is getting older and I’ve been trying to talk to him about anything really.

I was actually kind of shocked that he said that. I do feel like I have the fundamentals of Christianity.

Every since he said that, a lot of questions have started to arise such as: Do I really have faith in God or do I think that I have faith? Is my grandpa right since he dedicated his whole life to the teaching of God? Should I stop being a Christian since someone with such wisdom and knowledge said that about me?

I am a teenager with a lot to explore about Christianity, so I am still learning about Christianity but I think that I have an appropriate amount of understanding for someone my age.

P.S If any of you would like me to explain something further, just ask. :) Also if there are some spelling issues, forgive me since I have written his on my phone.

Your grandfather may have been a Priest but is he a Christian? There are a lot of false teachers out there. I would not take what he said too seriously. The one who you really want to listen to is God. 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

On 7/21/2019 at 1:14 AM, Peteros said:

and talked to my grandfather about blasphemy (i do know what it is) also (do keep in mind that he used to be a priest 

Just curious, what kind of a priest was he?

And, no, you shouldn't give up your faith in Christ just because of what he said.   Read the Bible, pray....I hope you have a good church where the Bible is taught and the people are loving.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

On 7/21/2019 at 4:14 AM, Peteros said:

I bet you couldn't stop being interested in Christianity even if you tried. God called some of us very young such as at 5 yrs old. We may get side tracked and even run off the road several times but we always come back. I think you're going to be a great Christian someday.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Thank you guys for everything, really lifting me up.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1