Jayne

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

[Sorry.  I did not mean to hit submit three hours ago.  I was in the middle of this and got really, really sick.  I'm better now, so here is what meant to say then.]

I know you’ve read these scriptures before, but maybe never seen them all grouped together.

There are Biblical reasons why sometimes God does not hear us.  It a frightening thing to me that this can happen.  But it’s within us to change that.

Lots of sites have these and other scriptures in variation.  I thought I’d just combine some that I’ve found in other places and make one list.

I made these comments for self-reflection.  I need it and  you may, too.  Remember, these things can cause God NOT to hear our prayers.

[1]  Unconfessed Sin:  The Bible says that “if I cherish wickedness in my heart, the LORD will not hear”.  Psalm 66:18  That one is self-explanatory, to me.  Also, Isaiah 59:2 agrees, “But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear”

[2] Unforgiveness Towards Others:  “And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses."  Matthew 6:15 An unforgiving heart will hinder your prayers FOR forgiveness.

[3] Wrong Motivations:  James 4:3 says, “You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures."  Pride and selfishness can even enter our prayer lives.

[4]  Unbelief:  Matthew 21:21-22 says, "So Jesus answered and said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, 'Be removed and be cast into the sea,' it will be done. And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive."  

[5] Ill Treatment of Others: We cannot treat family members like trash and dirt and expect God to have a civil conversation with us via prayer.  1 Peter 3:7 says, “Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as unto the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.”  Treat parents, spouses, and children like you love them even if and when they are hard to live with.  If you show them disdain, your prayer will be hindered.

[6] Disregard of the Bible: “If one turns away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer is an abomination” Proverbs 28:9.  I suppose that someone who has no interest in reading the Bible wouldn’t really have an interest in prayer.  If we disregard or neglect or despise God’s Word – it’s understandable why he would consider our prayers an abomination. :o

[7]  Doubt: James 1:5-7 says, “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord”  Doubts sometimes come in prayers because we don’t know if we are praying what is God’s will.  If someone is sick and on their deathbed, do you continue to pray for a healing or pray that God will have mercy and take them home?  This is why we have to pray with confidence and saying like Jesus did in his own prayers, “Not my will, but Your will.

Maybe you have some scriptures that explain why our prayers are not heard and how to change that.

Post them if you do.

You work on you.  I'll work on me.  May the LORD change us all of behaviors that hinder our prayers.

Edited by Jayne
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29

Oh, and I also meant to say - let's pray for each other in this matter.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,515
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  11

On 7/22/2019 at 9:58 PM, Jayne said:

May the LORD change us all of behaviors that hinder our prayers.

Amen. Teach us to pray, LORD.  Thank you for sharing this, Jayne. I agree that these are great for self-reflection.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  407
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

Well stated!  1 Peter 3:7 reminds us that we need to avoid anything that would "hinder our prayers."  The above items can very well do that!

• Thumbs Up 4

• Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  347
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

The best way to increase our prayers’ effectiveness is to

1) Be righteous

2) Pray earnestly 

3) Align our prayers to the will and purpose of God’s heart

4) Pray through Holy Spirit inspiration

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  347
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

As a small side note, I believe this is one reason why unity in the body is important. When elections come around, half of us pray for one side to win and half pray for the other side to win. A preacher grows his ministry and starts to be influential — half the church prays for God to “expose him as a fraud” while the other half prays for God to guard him from his enemies. Some Christians pray for Facebook to implode, others pray for their Facebook ministry to be protected. 

Speaking of the body as a whole, there is no discernment, no cohesive strategy, no teamwork, no mutual submission, and only a shallow common message that Jesus loves us or something. No wonder we can’t make a difference.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

Sin can block prayers being answered. So can half-hearted prayers.

Prayers should be diligent and fervent. God is never fooled. He knows the thoughts and intents of the heart (and if we are just going through the motions or not.)

"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.
The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

Elijah was a human being, even as we are. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops." (James 5:16-18)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1