How serious is...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  398
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

I am dismayed that a few Christian members in this thread would downplay the importance of adhering to the Bible's strict ban on no sex before marriage.  It is as if a few are trying to rationalize away the importance of maintaining one's spiritual purity.  The purpose of dating is to get to know another person before the marriage commitment; sadly, we live in a world where many people view dating as entertainment that leads to casual hook-ups.  I am reminded of James 1: 22-24, "However, become doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves with false reasoning.  For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, this one is like a man looking at his own face in a mirror.  For he looks at himself, and he goes away and immediately forgets what sort of person he is.  But the one who peers into the perfect law that belongs to freedom and continues in it has become, not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work; and he will be happy in what he does."

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 7/28/2019 at 10:28 AM, Melinda12 said:

Romance and love are good and natural.

Hi, That supposition is suspect, used for the basis of a conclusion to follow it ends up reaching a poor pathway to follow along.

The word natural does not meaning good nor beneficial. It is natural for all individuals to be  totally depraved ( since the fall of Adam into sin).

When asked about these subjects Paul gave some very precise responses that are part of God's word for all of us. Theyneed not be pondered upon much if one reads them for they are quite clear.

What did Paul write as response to the question?

..."Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.”  But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.  The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.  Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

Now as a concession, not a command, I say this. I wish that all were as I myself am. But each has his own gift from God, one of one kind and one of another.

To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single, as I am.  But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife.

To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her.  If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him.  For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.  But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace.  For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches. "....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, BibleStudent100 said:

I am dismayed that a few Christian members in this thread would downplay the importance of adhering to the Bible's strict ban on no sex before marriage. 

Most, and I'd have to say 99 44/100% of us who have been here for five or so years, don't go for that. At all. 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  237
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

56 minutes ago, RTCarroll said:

Is there anywhere in the bible that talks about the requirement for a government issued license?   Is not that man's invention also?  

Does God require approval from the State for Him to recognize a marriage?

Hi RTCarroll. You make a valid point. Marriage has always been God's plan. The implication of a man cleaving to his wife is at the heart of the marriage relationship, and provides the metaphor of Christ and His bride. In OT times civil and religious matters were administrated in tandem, with marriages having cultural, political, financial, geographical, and social ramifications to name just a few areas involved. For the sake of dealing with disputes involving relationships and property it was essential that laws be made and records be kept.  

Gen 2:24
(24)  Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? John 8:4-10

Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. Mattew 5:14-16

On 7/28/2019 at 12:08 PM, Melinda12 said:

Would you condemn someone at your church if they were living with their partner without marriage? 

I do not condemn. I do pray  for others and myself and ask of others to pray for me.  Condemnation is not a power of humans, but of God alone.

I have personally faced the issue of marriage or no marriage after being married 48 years till death did part us, and then meeting a woman on aChristian Message board. At 73 what does one do?  I worked for a church, what do I do. I questioned what is marriage? I questioned the State's right to make decrees regarding marriage. I pondered estate issues Last Will issues, Estate Trust issues, and finally decided I could not find any way around the decrees and guidance of God found in my Bible. So I spent a large amount of money with an attorney redid all my estate matters did the pre-nupt stuff. Augh painful to do that, very painful for both of us. And I have also now provided for my second wife a place to live that is hers alone should I predecase her. 

Yes life gets complicated, but God's commands are pretty direct and really very simple. The question became, and still is, do I follow God or do I step out in disobedience onto my own desires and short cuts and well,- disobedience? It ain't always easy! But, I do say  the effort leads to a comfort that God is sovereign and God does work out all things to the good for those that believe on Him through the enlightenment by the Holy Spirit 's reveal of Jesus as Lord God and savior.

Will God bend to you or me and your or my own way of wanting to do things? Did He do so  for Moses? Did He do so for Gideon?

God is the sovereign. He is sovereign over all matters.

If one needs review whether they have yet really turned about to bend their knee before Jesus and declare Him Lord, then by all means each should please make that review. As each of us that may wonder does so  each need  know Jesus  The Father and the Holy Spirit are not our teddy bears,  but God.

May God bless you in your interest and inquiries of Him.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  14

My point in bringing up ‘common-law’ was that it is no different than being married because of the rights afforded to each one...share of property, income, finances and children should there be any. That is why marriage is the only way.

Hebrews 14:4 says..marriage is honourable among all, and the bed undefined, but fornicators and adulterers God will judge.

How many times in the Bible does God say, “ I am the Lord. I do not change.” Man changes and assumes if God/Jesus was here today He would see that things have changed and He would understand. But, He does not change! Does it not say in the Bible ..there is nothing new under the sun? Man changes..God does not neither does His Word.

Edited by Littlelambseativy

3 minutes ago, Littlelambseativy said:

My point in bringing up ‘common-law’ was that it is no different than being married because of the rights afforded to each one...share of property, income, finances and children should there be any. That is why marriage is the only way.

???

Common law varies from government to government. But marriage regardless of government does not. It is a commitment  before God and under God's sovereignty having little or nothing to do with any State entity's decrees. That is the conclusion  I reached, as I had the State endorse the commitment I had made to my wife by paying their fee and getting their little certificate.

I also learned that pastors or any officiant are reluctant if not outright refusing to do a marriage ceremony without the Government blessing, a government license. The reason is one of personal liability. The persons relying on the ceremony being upheld by the government come a time of estate settlement or other martial decisions finding it being challenged then  go back to the church  or pastor/officiant with a lawsuit for damages done to them by a marriage not endorsed by the State.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  14

Even with a marriage licence, after the ceremony in church the couple/ church sends off documents to government. I see no issue there. Children are protected and estate is too. I realize government is into everything but so was it in Bible times. Render unto....the things that are.....

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, BeauJangles said:

Most, and I'd have to say at least 99 44/100% of us who have been here for five or so years, don't go for that. At all. 

99 44/100%, it's curious you picked that exact percentage.

Putting 2 + 2 together, that's a strong clue you're a 'baby boomer' generation as I am :D I'll bet it floats too...

Psalm 45:8 (KJV) All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad.

The only 'soap' I'm aware of that its name was inspired by the scripture above. The trivia question is: What's the name of the soap? In fact, I think I'll post this question in the trivia section and since you already know the answer, you're disqualified :o

Edited by Dennis1209