Kristin

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  1

I tried to talk to her about it. She got very offended. I’m going to wait awhile and see what happens. I’ll try again if it doesn’t improve. I’ll be more gentle next time. Maybe I planted the seed for her to recognize it in herself and be more careful with her stories. 

Thank you everyone for your kind and helpful responses❤️

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

Kristin,

My mother-in law was a chronic liar and a professed Christian as well. I used to wonder why she lied so much when her lies had no clear purpose, were easily disproven and easy to see through the deception. When asked about one of her clear lies she would get upset and defensive. I concluded that unless she was able to recognize, admit and be willing to stop (almost like someone who is addicted to something), it would be hard to help her. As you found, with your own mom she doesn’t like being challenged on her lying and gets upset when you ask her about her Christianity. Please continue to pray to God to change her heart and bring recognition of her sin to her mind so she can truly live in the truth. God is the one with the power to change anyone.

The Bible tells us that God is a God of Truth and that He desires that all people speak truth to each other at all times.  

• Proverbs 23:23, “Get the truth and never sell it; also get wisdom, discipline, and good judgment.”
  • Proverbs 12:22, “The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in those who tell the truth.”
  • Colossians 3:9-10, “Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.”

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

14 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

There are two types of liars.....saved liars and unsaved liars.....just like there are two types of gossipers or those that have lustful thoughts ......if she believes that Jesus died for her sins and that He rose from the grave her sins are covered by the Grace of God and the Blood Of Jesus Christ.Salvation is not about Behavior, it is about Belief.It is a free gift for those that  believe Jesus was who He said He was.Ask her if she believes 1 cor15:1-4 and you will know if she is saved or not.Both of you are in my prayers.

There is no truth to any of this.   Don't believe it.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

Reminds me of that Star Trek episode where they cause an evil alien computer to melt down in a puddle of false logic:

Captain Kirk (to computer): "Spock never lies."

Spock (to computer): "Computer, I'm lying."

Computer, to spock: But you never lie, so you are telling the truth, but you are telling my you are lying so if you only tell the truth then you are lying when you say you are lying, but then you never lie, but....AAAAAAHHHHH (melts down and everybody goes free).

Edited by Still Alive
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

“ Don’t believe it”  Really?

1 cor15 :1-4.       “...... I declare unto you the Gospel.....wherein you stand.....by which you are SAVED....

your argument is with Paul, not me...

Edited by Blood Bought 1953
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

1 cor15 :1-4.       “...... I declare unto you the Gospel.....wherein you stand.....by which you are SAVED....

your argument is with Paul, not me...

It is not with Paul. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

People lie to be in relationship.

Somewhere they were either hurt by telling the truth or were accepted by lying and it has become the norm.

That's an insecurity thing.

Where it can become a danger to someones spirit is when their pride won't allow them to admit they messed up and they lie about it by blaming others. That is the road to destruction if they constantly make excuses and deflect the truth with a lie in order to save face. If it goes far enough they may even lie to God about their responsibility for their actions. If that happens how can they admit they need salvation? 

I'm sure if you were to able to dig way back, you would find a point in your mothers life where she felt it was lie...or "die" and over the years it has become a method of dealing with insecurity in relationships.

You might find it helpful to read "The Grief Recovery Handbook". Grief can happen when any form of relationship is broken not just a death. If the brokenness is not dealt with we develop short term ways to patch it up. These inevitably have an influence on future relationships.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81

17 hours ago, Kristin said:

I’m willing to overlook it because it’s usually about dumb things that don’t matter. But it occurred to me that liars don’t enter the kingdom. She literally lies a lot. It’s almost weird. I love my mom. I want her there. She also doesn’t like talking about our Lord very much. Although when pressed, she says she believes in Christ. I’m worried for her. She’s done this my whole life. She’s not mentally overly old. She’s in her right mind. I told her for the first time today I know she lies and she should stop. She got very mad at me for awhile. Would not talk to. Now she seems better about her anger with me. I never told her that before and I did it because the Bible says to confront sin when you see it. She does not really sin otherwise, but her lying is appalling. I love her. I told her in love. She’s so old and I want to see her in glory. 

Does she ever go to church or read from her Bible or show any reflection that she knows the Lord in a personal way. Do you your self relate with Jesus in a personal way. Don't be discouraged. Pray always for forgiveness. for her and ask the Lord let her not die lost. God is loving, compassionate , longsuffering. If your own faith is strong he hears our prayers. I know this from experience. 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,167
  • Content Per Day:  1.22

6 hours ago, lovethelord said:

The Bible tells us that God is a God of Truth and that He desires that all people speak truth to each other at all times.  

• Proverbs 23:23, “Get the truth and never sell it; also get wisdom, discipline, and good judgment.”
  • Proverbs 12:22, “The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in those who tell the truth.”
  • Colossians 3:9-10, “Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.”

:thumbsup: