• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,167
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  0

21 hours ago, Mike 2 said:

People lie to be in relationship.

Somewhere they were either hurt by telling the truth or were accepted by lying and it has become the norm.

That's an insecurity thing.

Where it can become a danger to someones spirit is when their pride won't allow them to admit they messed up and they lie about it by blaming others. That is the road to destruction if they constantly make excuses and deflect the truth with a lie in order to save face. If it goes far enough they may even lie to God about their responsibility for their actions. If that happens how can they admit they need salvation? 

I'm sure if you were to able to dig way back, you would find a point in your mothers life where she felt it was lie...or "die" and over the years it has become a method of dealing with insecurity in relationships.

You might find it helpful to read "The Grief Recovery Handbook". Grief can happen when any form of relationship is broken not just a death. If the brokenness is not dealt with we develop short term ways to patch it up. These inevitably have an influence on future relationships. 

There are some good point in the above.

Many people lie out of insecurity, shame, feel pressured on the spot, some lie out of compassion to try not to hurt someones feelings,, some lie for reasons of pride, ex: mother paints her children to be greater than they really are, some lie out of fear like feel it may be a life or death situation, Then there are raconteurs that lie by telling large stories to looks more interesting  than they perhaps believe they are. So this last one goes back to insecurity/self esteem issues.

As we grow in Christ Jesus we can ask Him to help us overcome these behaviors. But we first have to be able to recognize it first and admit it to ourselves first and then to God. as one can't change what one does not acknowledge especially to ones self  and then to God.

I think Kristin is was important that you brought it up to your mothers attention and awareness, from there, you can continue the conversation with her and tell her she does not need to do this as she is wonderful just the way she is and that it would be more pleasing to God to see her being honest. You can always add those bible verses on a peace of paper or pretty note pad and tell her to place it in her bible. IDK if you feel comfortable enough for this, but can also ask your mother if you can pray with her together, than you can pray to God to help your mother with becoming more and more the child of God she was always intended to be and how much you love your mother and want the best for her, just like she wants the best for you.

Self deliverance you tube video:

The Spirit of Self rejection - Dr Pat Holliday - blogtalkradio

Edited by 1to3

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  05/27/1943

18 hours ago, missmuffet said:

There are people who are compulsive liars. Telling a lie is a sin. 

Sadly, the President of the USA seems to fall into this category. He will say anything that comes to mind if he thinks it will gain him some advantage or praise.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Takoda said:

Sadly, the President of the USA seems to fall into this category. He will say anything that comes to mind if he thinks it will gain him some advantage or praise.

What politician won't?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

True....but do they have to make an “Art Form” out of it?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

7 hours ago, pinacled said:

And the man will likely die next yr. So at least show compassion for his children and younger generations.

Where did you get that bit of information ? A little elaboration would be nice.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,215
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  3

1019847054_blesssomeonetoday.jpg.2fa01d948b44297c71ec025c34a632b7.jpg

Now that we are saved, we are to put off the old man and put on the new man. But what will happen to the CARNAL christian who does not want to change ? I don't know !!!  since it is possible have your name blotted out of the book of life,  it is a matter of concern .

On 7/29/2019 at 4:10 PM, Who me said:

May I suggest that you talk to her. Tell her that you are concerned for her, ask about the church she attends, and about what she believes.

You will need to repeat that you love her and are concerned for her.

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/237877-unlocking-every-66-books-of-the-bible/

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

If you could dig down into the mindset of people that weave stories and lie, I think you may find that from childhood, in order to survive, they concocted false realities. This became for them such a habitual way of coping that they could not tell fiction from truth. It became their world-view.

I have know some like this. They appear to be on a different planet to me, complete with their own reality.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  398
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

Justin is spot on when he analyses why certain people concoct stories.  Usually people will lie if the lies create an advantage for themselves; a common advantage in these cases is money.  Still, I have known a few people over my 59 years of existence who create false stories about the most banal of issues that would offer no financial remuneration; so why lie?  They tell false stories or greatly exaggerate because they want to be more popular or have more prestige in their social groups.  

I had (notice past tense) a friend who was a great raconteur and he would weave entertaining narratives about being a restaurateur and living in British Colombia; we finally deduced that he was fabricating these stories.  My wife and I thought maybe he was trying to cover up some gap years in his life that were spent in frivolity.  I actually feel sorry for these people as their own reality is not good enough to satisfy themselves, so they have to create another reality, one based on lies.  People like these may need mental health counseling services and especially spiritual counseling.  After all, the issue of lying is a serious one, as indicated in the Biblical case of Ananias and Sapphira:

Following Pentecost of 33 C.E. the physical needs of the believers who remained in Jerusalem were cared for by mutual assistance among the Christians. A common fund was set up for this purpose. It was sustained by contributions representing the price of fields and houses sold by members of the congregation and then voluntarily donated. (Ac 4:34-37) Ananias sold a field and, with his wife’s full knowledge, presented a part of the money obtained, while giving the appearance of turning in the entire sum, no doubt to gain a measure of commendation and esteem within the congregation. However, through a special gift of knowledge by the spirit, Peter discerned his pretense, exposed him as ‘playing false to the holy spirit and to God,’ and Ananias fell down and expired. When the men who buried him returned in about three hours, they found his wife Sapphira also dead for having tried to keep up the same false pretense.—Ac 5:1-10.

What is interesting about Ananias and Sapphira is that their lie did not gain them any money, nor any specific advantage, beyond just improving their social standing a little; so then why lie?  The payout from the lie was of limited value, but they did fabricate a story. Perhaps this couple in the Bible had "little going on" in their own lives and wanted to appear more "spiritual" in front of their peers.  So even lies in small amounts or exaggerations should be avoided and God judges us harshly for ignoring a major Biblical tenet:  "...the truth will set you free" (John 8:32).

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

True....but do they have to make an “Art Form” out of it?

To win.

1 hour ago, pinacled said:

Deceiving the public at large who are being oppressed has nothing to do with winning.

Vainity is a root of most lying types.

I know Obama lied.  That was true of Obamacare and the phony stimulus package.  I never believed anything he said.

• Thumbs Up 1