alaric_w

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1

How to identify a confused Christian who is mixing grace with law?

When you hear a Christian say “Grace is good but too much is not good, we need to balance grace with the law”.

What does the bible says about mixing grace with law?

Galatians 3:3 Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh?

Galatians 5:4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

It is clear that God does not want us to mix grace with the law.

Why are they confused?

1)    They do not understand the true purpose of the law

2)    They do not know what is sin

3)    They do not know their identity in Christ

4)    They are not rightly dividing the word of God

What is the purpose of the law?

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

The more we try to keep the law, the more you will see your inability to keep it. The law is like a mirror to show us about our true nature. Our true nature is a sinner.

What is sin?

Romans 14:23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

Sin covers more than just breaking the law (10 commandments). Everything that does not come from faith is sin. Even simple thought of worrying and complaining is sin because you doubted that God is able to provide the best for you. In fact, a Christian is sinning without realizing.

Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

The first sinners that God put into hell are fearful and unbelieving but not the ones who committed horrendous outward sins.

What is a Christian identity in Christ?

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

What is an unsaved sinner? Sinner + Flesh

What is a born again Christian? New creature(Soul & Holy Spirit) + Flesh

Why does a Christian still sin after salvation? It is because of the flesh.

What is the difference between a sinner and a new creature? The new creature do not want to sin and feel dirty doing so. On the other hand, a sinner enjoys sinning.

Romans 7:18-19 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

The law only empowers the flesh to act which will lead to more sin.

1 Corinthians 15:56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

How does a Christian sin lesser? By flowing with the Holy Spirit without the consciousness of sin. For a Christian to be unconscious of sin, he/she has to truly believe that Jesus Christ has paid for their past, present and future sins.

What is rightly dividing the word of God?

2 Timothy 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

It is not mixing both old covenant (Law) with the new (Grace). It is not taking what is written for the Jews into the Church. It is not fearing and worrying that Christians will suffer the same punishment as non-Christians.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Interesting. I do not know if I agree with all of that, but a certainly agree with a lot of it. I would have to reread it, and then think about it quite a while. I am choosing not to do that at this moment in time, but I want to say, that it is well considered and well written. Thank you for posting this!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

2 minutes ago, New Member said:

Interesting. I do not know if I agree with all of that, but a certainly agree with a lot of it. I would have to reread it, and then think about it quite a while. I am choosing not to do that at this moment in time, but I want to say, that it is well considered and well written. Thank you for posting this!

Written through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Alot of bible verse does not make sense to me when I am a new believer. As the Holy Spirit reveal more Revelations to me, I started to understand and all bible verse does not contradict God's intentions 

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79

4 hours ago, alaric_w said:

we need to balance grace with the law

Amen! Guess I'm one of those confused Christians then. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

Law cancels Grace.....you can’t mix the two “ if it  is by Grace,it is no longer by works,otherwise Grace would no longer be Grace.....”.      Rom11:6

• Loved it! 1
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,398
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

20 minutes ago, Who me said:

In total contrast to this post Jesus said if you love me You Will Obey My Commands.

Jesus's command is to Love God with All our being and to Love our neighbours as our selves.

The difference is that a Christian knows he/she is saved by grace, yet seeks to live by the 10C as an act of love for Jesus.

The law has not been abolished, and the freedom we have from not being under the law does not mean we are free to sin, to have sex with who we like, to steal, swear, to lie or be contempious of God etc etc etc etc.

How are Christians to be salt and light in a world that sets out to break the 10C at every opertunity if we are not vissible diffeent in our behaviour?

Very well said.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

In the Tanach the Torah leads us to understand God's character. It leads thru to the Sacrifice of Yeshua so that the WAY is purified and accessible for us to be saved and approach the Throne of Grace. This was ALWAYS God's plan and so the Law is NOT at odds with the new covenant; it paved the way for Salvation. There is no contradiction and no confusion. It is what it is.

People seem to always have made doctrines and dogma of just a few items in the scriptures without seeing it all as a MASTERFUL plan from before the foundation of the world. God has not changed and Yeshua said that not one jot or tittle would pass from the Law (that He gave Moses) until heaven and earth have passed away.

Last time I looked outside the sun, moon and stars were still there and the ground under my feet was firm.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

Hi Alaric_w,

Yes, grace and law do not mix (like oil and water).

• Mark 2:22, “And no one pours new wine into old wine skins.  If he does, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the wine skins will be ruined. No, he must pour new wine into new wine skins.”

The new wine represents the new covenant of grace while the old wine skins represent the old covenant of law. When you mix the two, the virtues of both the old and the new covenants will be cancelled out and lost. 

• Brilliant! 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79

1 hour ago, lovethelord said:

The new wine represents the new covenant of grace while the old wine skins represent the old covenant of law. When you mix the two, the virtues of both the old and the new covenants will be cancelled out and lost. 

Can you evidence this interpretation from Scripture? Could you also supply Scripture to validate your last sentence as well please? 

• This is Worthy 1