Being a gun owner

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  239
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,542
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

I've always been against guns (Personally, I don't care if the next person owns them) they've always rubbed me the wrong way personally...

However, since I'm gonna have a little one I feel I need to not only be able to protect him but myself as well.  If and when I get a gun it'll be a small one I'm comfy with

like a pistol or something.

Just wondering what are some steps in becoming a gun owner. 

Thanks

Edited by Figure of eighty

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

Best idea is to get a carry permit and go thru the schooling required for that. I was an FFL and had my own Carry permit but even though in Oregon it was fairly basic, the mandatory school for the permit was very informative. (Only about six hours). Always, with any kind of gun, know your law, know you gun and know your limits. Then practice, practice, practice and learn how to load and unload safely in the dark. If it is an auto (self-loader), how to clear a stove-pipe (in the dark).

There. I gave you an assignment. What is a 'stove pipe'. This is sometimes an issue when using a semi-automatic pistol? Or having read all about this, would I feel better with a revolver?

Might sound daunting. But it is not really. How many people would you trust with your car that had no driver training? Especially if you were a passenger.

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

44 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

I've always been against guns (Personally, I don't care if the next person owns them) they've always rubbed me the wrong way personally...

However, since I'm gonna have a little one I feel I need to not only be able to protect him but myself as well.  If and when I get a gun it'll be a small one I'm comfy with

Thanks

First and foremost; treat the weapon always as loaded. Memorize and strictly adhere to the five crucial rules below.

Always keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction. Treat ALL firearms as if they were loaded. Keep your trigger finger outside the guard and off of the trigger until you are ready to fire. Be certain of your target, your line of fire, and what lies beyond your target.

Get some competent basic gun handling training from a qualified and certified instructor. I can't stress that enough. More accidents happen handling firearms than you may be aware of, get familiar and comfortable with it under professional instruction.

When you're safe, competent and comfortable handling your weapon; get your concealed carry / handgun carry permit.

P.S. I've been awakened at 2:00 A.M. hearing someone trying to pry my door open. It was a comforting feeling to have something to defend myself and family with. When seconds count, the police are minutes away. In my case; it took them 40 minutes to arrive, as they were on the other side of the county, there were only two patrol cars on duty at the time, and they couldn't locate my house without directions from the dispatcher. Fortunately for me and him or they, they didn't make it through the door, as they probably heard / seen me coming to greet them had they made their way in. 

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

25 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

P.S. I've been awakened at 2:00 A.M. hearing someone trying to pry my door open. It was a comforting feeling to have something to defend myself and family with. When seconds count, the police are minutes away. In my case; it took them 40 minutes to arrive, as they were on the other side of the county, there were only two patrol cars on duty at the time, and they couldn't locate my house without directions from the dispatcher. Fortunately for me and him or they, they didn't make it through the door, as they probably heard / seen me coming to greet them had they made their way in. 

Yup and I just want to feel safe and protect my baby. I also want to take self defense classes as well.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, Figure of eighty said:

Thanks

I don't own a gun, I have never owned a gun and I am not planning on owning a gun in the future. 

• Thanks 1

As you're aware, we're living in a dangerous world and people are looking for easy prey. As we all can see, it's not getting any better, but much worse. Dope addicts in particular can't hold down employment to support their addictions generally speaking. They will do anything to anybody to get the money for their next fix. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

As you're aware, we're living in a dangerous world and people are looking for easy prey. As we all can see, it's not getting any better, but much worse. Dope addicts in particular can't hold down employment to support their addictions generally speaking. They will do anything to anybody to get the money for their next fix. 

Yes we definitely are but I don't want to live in fear so I'll do my best to not be vulnerable. Also think of getting mace and a stun gun..or maybe just mace to put in my purse I think that should do.

• Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,864
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I think it is important to take the self defense class, maybe even more than purchasing a gun.

I grew up with guns all my life and are familiar with them, but if you are not, you do need to take classes, and go to a range somewhere and get very familiar with whatever weapon you decide to get....    a good defense class instructor should also be able to help you decide what kind of weapon to purchase.....    I would also recommend a carry permit if it is possible where you live....   some locations are easier to do than others.....   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

2 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

Yes we definitely are but I don't want to live in fear so I'll do my best to not be vulnerable. Also think of getting mace and a stun gun..or maybe just mace to put in my purse I think that should do.

To each his or her own. Personally, I wouldn't use or recommend the alternates you mention for reasons to numerous to go into detail on. The goal is your survival and to stop the threat by the quickest means possible. Do a little research on the chemicals / stun guns and there failure rates and non effectiveness before you commit. 

5 minutes ago, other one said:

I think it is important to take the self defense class, maybe even more than purchasing a gun.

I grew up with guns all my life and are familiar with them, but if you are not, you do need to take classes, and go to a range somewhere and get very familiar with whatever weapon you decide to get....    a good defense class instructor should also be able to help you decide what kind of weapon to purchase.....    I would also recommend a carry permit if it is possible where you live....   some locations are easier to do than others.....   

Yeah. definitely gonna take some classes, not just for self defense but I feel it'll help my confidence as well.

• Thumbs Up 2