• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Everyone thinks they are a very good shot. Few even practice, few have even taken their weapon out of it's store case. Yet all think, there now I am safer.  

The very best of our law enforcement personnel that shoot many thousands of rounds, and not in plinking mode, get killed  doing their work.

The idea that mom or dad or junior is a good shot is pretty much folly.

Shooting is a degrading skill one that quickly fades Unless one is shooting as to kill each week, not plinking at targets, they are not good shots.

But we are digressing. An about to be new mom is seeking  protection from her fears of life's adventures and threats.  I do pray for  her to concentrate on what God will have her to do, and I pray for many angels to come along side of her and her child.

I have a laser bullet for my 380 that puts a small red dot where the bullet would hit if it was a real shell.....   it has helped my aiming a lot....   especially the quick point and shoot that one really needs in a lethal situation....   no time to take some fancy stance and aim.   Pluss one is a lot less likely to kill anyone, just make them stop whatever is a danger to you.   you need to do it enough that it is a reflex and not something you have to think about

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, Fun topic. but we may be hijacking a thread. To borrow a line from Jeff Quinn, if you believe a red dot will scare a bad guy, buy a laser pointer, not a gun.

He used the same line regarding racking a shotgun. If you believe that will scare away a bad guy just record the sound on your smart phone and play it back when intruders come.

His own suggestion was that they should not have heard anything except what they may hear after the muzzle flash of the Mossberg tactical shotgun and the time they fall. And never rack your shotgun, have one shell in the chamber at all times. Racking gives away your own position and is likely to earn you the sight of a muzzle flash just before you  drop dead.

Personal opinion, a 380 is a fun little gun, but mostly one that will just make a real drugged up bad guy maddder than he was before he or she is struck by that little projectile. It is convenient for  conceal carry small change purses I suppose, and maybe a decent  secondary back up to make noise with while  retreating to the Mossberg tactical. I think if I were to carry I would consider a Double Tap to be suitable for impromptu up close and personal social work.

It is a generous and joyful giver that hands out  a hundred a week to those panhandling.  Personally I just try not to  give money, though I have  given food, clothes, even housing, and  temporary work; but handouts of cash have been something I have yet  to be comfortable doing - not that it is wrong, I just don't see encouraging it is all. More power to those that do, may God bless both giver and recipient.

May God protect us all , the prosperous, the desperate, and  the depraved; bringing us close to Christ Jesus.

Oh, I do believe that pointing a laser beam from a weapon at a target would qualify as brandishing a weapon in this weapon friendly State and  could remove the protection of stand your ground law here. Things get dicey when one makes the decision to point weapons at living targets.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

6 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Kids as well as adults can get pretty stupid. No sense giving most of us  that extra opportunity to prove it.

Lol some days I wonder how my brothers and I ever survived childhood.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

28 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, Fun topic. but we may be hijacking a thread. To borrow a line from Jeff Quinn, if you believe a red dot will scare a bad guy, buy a laser pointer, not a gun.

He used the same line regarding racking a shotgun. If you believe that will scare away a bad guy just record the sound on your smart phone and play it back when intruders come.

Pretty funny, Neighbor. I gotta big chuckle outta these two one-liners. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Oh, I do believe that pointing a laser beam from a weapon at a target would qualify as brandishing a weapon in this weapon friendly State and  could remove the protection of stand your ground law here. Things get dicey when one makes the decision to point weapons at living targets.

it is not legal here to point a weapon at someone and not use it....    and you need to really understand the law to use it legally...

• Thumbs Up 2

racking a shotgun puts everyone on notice that someone is fixing to die....   you should never really announce that now that I think about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

5 minutes ago, other one said:

racking a shotgun puts everyone on notice that someone is fixing to die....   you should never really announce that now that I think about it.

There's also the chance of a failure in any mechanical operation.   A racking failure followed by grunts and expletives and the sounds of mechanical clicking and clacking trying to ready the weapon would be counterproductive.

As someone somewhere said, it depends on the person breaking into your house.  A petty thief might run at top speed out of the house at the sound of a shotgun being racked.  A person set on personal harm and violation now knows your location, what type of weapon you have, and that you are the type of person who'd rather give a warning than actually shoot.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

There's also the chance of a failure in any mechanical operation.   A racking failure followed by grunts and expletives and the sounds of mechanical clicking and clacking trying to ready the weapon would be counterproductive.

As someone somewhere said, it depends on the person breaking into your house.  A petty thief might run at top speed out of the house at the sound of a shotgun being racked.  A person set on personal harm and violation now knows your location, what type of weapon you have, and that you are the type of person who'd rather give a warning than actually shoot.

Besides who wants to go into a gunfight with one less round in their weaponry than they could have had?  In close filipino knife fighting training may be better anyway ( See NRA filipino knife fighting training course opportunities). Still better is the best weaponry of all, -  prayer, lots of it- long before trouble comes a knocking; prayer and praise, and thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,448
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Well, to sum up everything that has been said so far: I won't bore anyone with what I own and the training I have; but one thing to be avoided if at all possible; is being caught off guard and especially unprepared with no plan of action if this or that would occur here or there. In my own experience, situational awareness alone possibly prevented an unwanted encounter on several occasions. 

Like stated above, money and things can be replaced and it's not worth (morally or legally) the potential loss of any life or limb. That is; if you have the luxury of knowing you and / or your family are not going to be harmed in the process. If you genuinely have a fear for your life and have the moral high ground; it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six, to coin a secular phrase. 

To coin another phrase: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This especially applies to home security deterrent's and action plans; of which I make the most of. We all can be caught at the wrong place at the wrong time, but generally if you're aware of your surroundings and the people around you paying attention [not face planted in the smart phone], there are telltale signs and indications something is not right in Denmark. 

One of a number of examples I've encountered: Two years ago this month on a Saturday afternoon, I pulled into a Regions Bank ATM because I needed some cash and was the only car there. I glanced at the island to my right as I was about to enter the 'squeeze' of the lane for the drive up machine. On my right was an adult male staring at the ground occasionally looking at me. He was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt with the hood over his head, hands in his pockets; and it was 95 degrees outside [RED FLAG]. 

With all the drug addiction, gang-banger's, illegals and outright evil people in this world today; your chances of personally encountering a nightmare situation you never dreamed of are increasing almost daily. 

• Thumbs Up 2