Being a gun owner

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

It is foolish to ask God for protection and leave your doors unlocked or open and leave your windows open. Also taking unnecessary risks. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest PinkBelt
1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

It is foolish to ask God for protection and leave your doors unlocked or open and leave your windows open. Also taking unnecessary risks. 

God made the universe from sheer will, but cannot protect us from unlocked doors.

No one is saying we should be stupidly reckless.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

They passed the open gun law in Texas. All the lefties said 'oh, there will be so many gun deaths'. Wrong. All a lady has to do now in a car park at night is reach into her purse and the baddies are off. 

An armed person is a Citizen. An unarmed person is a Subject. Go figure!

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

Do the CC permit FIRST. Even if you do not want to own a gun. Then you will not only understand the law, you will get valuable insight into gun ownership and gun handling. Study first. Then practice, practice, practice until you hand is sore. Then go practice some more.

I learned to fly way back. At first I was letting the plane lead me. After about 60-70 hours I began the 'wear' the plane. Like an extension of my body. So this is what you need to do with a pistol, revolver or an so-called self defense weapon. Make it a part of you and when you need it, it will be naturally there as an extension of your arm.

It is a tool. A tool is only as good as the craftsman using it.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,455
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Here's the facts as I see them: Just as; not everyone is mentally equipped for combat in the military, some are wired to be passive and non aggressive. Without delving into theological issues; I firmly believe we have a moral duty and responsibility to protect our family, ourselves and innocent others from brutal harm or death. We can be victim or we can be the prey, we can surrender or we can fight with a force multiplier, a.k.a. a weapon. Two people with a gun are on equal ground, and you don't take a knife to a gun fight.

Hearing the sound of broken glass and someone kicking your door in at 2:00 A.M.; being accosted in that dark parking lot you had not intended to visit but something came up and you had to be there, finding yourself being car jacked, etc. My daughter was robbed twice and this is one example: She was a bank teller and was opening the bank and there was just one other person with her, her supervisor. Two men bum rushed them as they were entering the bank with handguns and ordered them to open the safe. Briefly; they duct taped their mouths, nylon wire tied their hands and arms behind them, and herded them into a small office out of sight and putting the guns to their heads and threatening to kill them. Naturally bank policy prohibits customers or employees from carrying personal protection. Imagine what went through their minds about their fate and helplessness; as happens so many times in this day and age. 

No one knows the intent, planned or unplanned, of a criminal that is going to go committing a crime. It has become more beneficial for a criminal to silence victim(s) so not to be identified should they be caught. During a home invasion for example, they're not there to make you breakfast. You best assume the worst intentions of an evil heart. 

Responsibility and gun safety: The dangers of firearms safety and children are of great concern and is well expressed above. All my children have left the nest so that no longer is of concern. However; I have a Fat Boy big Liberty safe with electronic keypad I can access in less than 5 seconds to obtain whatever I need. They make numerous small bio-metric safes that can be placed in night stands or on top, no one can deliberately get to what's inside without tearing them apart with tools. They open in a couple of seconds with just touching them with your finger tips. In addition, you teach and train your children about what's in there and for what purpose and stay out of it. 

We shouldn't be of the mindset something this horrible could never happen to us, in a span of a lifetime, statistics tell us otherwise.

1. A person can be passive, put up no resistance and submit to the demands of the criminal and "hope" for the best outcome.

2. A person can be passive-aggressive and try a deterrent that usually proves to be insufficient and escalates and further provokes the attack (and when there is more than one?).

3. A person can use the best and most effective means possible to immediately stop the threat with potential deadly force. Nine times out of ten, when the criminal(s) hear what's coming their way, they scatter and run off like cockroaches. 

Would have, could have, should have. 

P.S. Here's a good source to know the gun laws in your state  http://www.handgunlaw.us

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,455
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

12 hours ago, PinkBelt said:

In my view Christians should not own guns.

Joel 3:10 (KJV) Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruninghooks into spears: let the weak say, I am strong.

Barney.jpg

Guest PinkBelt
6 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Joel 3:10 (KJV) Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning hooks into spears: let the weak say, I am strong.

I have very very little patience for cherry picking verses and displaying them out of context.

Joel 3:1-10

The Nations Judged

3 [a]“In those days and at that time,
    when I restore the fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem,
2 I will gather all nations
    and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat.
There I will put them on trial
    for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel,
because they scattered my people among the nations
    and divided up my land.
3 They cast lots for my people
    and traded boys for prostitutes;
    they sold girls for wine to drink.

4 “Now what have you against me, Tyre and Sidon and all you regions of Philistia? Are you repaying me for something I have done? If you are paying me back, I will swiftly and speedily return on your own heads what you have done. 5 For you took my silver and my gold and carried off my finest treasures to your temples.[c] 6 You sold the people of Judah and Jerusalem to the Greeks, that you might send them far from their homeland.

7 “See, I am going to rouse them out of the places to which you sold them, and I will return on your own heads what you have done. 8 I will sell your sons and daughters to the people of Judah, and they will sell them to the Sabeans, a nation far away.” The Lord has spoken.

9 Proclaim this among the nations:
    Prepare for war!
Rouse the warriors!
    Let all the fighting men draw near and attack.
10 Beat your plowshares into swords
    and your pruning hooks into spears.
Let the weakling say,
    “I am strong!”

God is clearly speaking to the people of several cities who plundered Jerusalem and Judah, then enslaved it's people. He is declaring that they (Israel) will rise up to return home with the treasure that was stolen and then some. It is also a riff on another verse:

Isaiah 2:4

"And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."

When God is ordering you to go to war we can have a conversation, until then I follow Gods explicit teachings about the use of violence:

Exodus 20

The Ten Commandments

20 And God spoke all these words:

2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

3 “You shall have no other gods before[a] me.

4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

7 “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lordwill not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

13 “You shall not murder.

14 “You shall not commit adultery.

15 “You shall not steal.

16 “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

And:

Matthew 26:47-56

47 While he was still speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, arrived. With him was a large crowd armed with swords and clubs, sent from the chief priests and the elders of the people. 48 Now the betrayer had arranged a signal with them: “The one I kiss is the man; arrest him.” 49 Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, “Greetings, Rabbi!” and kissed him.

50 Jesus replied, “Do what you came for, friend.”[d]

Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him. 51 With that, one of Jesus’ companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.

52 “Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. 53 Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? 54 But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?”

55 In that hour Jesus said to the crowd, “Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? Every day I sat in the temple courts teaching, and you did not arrest me. 56 But this has all taken place that the writings of the prophets might be fulfilled.”Then all the disciples deserted him and fled.

I really don't care what the Constitution, the GoP, Fox news, the NRA or whoever says. Either you follow God's way or man's.

Edited by PinkBelt

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

32 minutes ago, PinkBelt said:

I have very very little patience for cherry picking verses and displaying them out of context.

This is a rather ironic statement seeing the content which followed with its lack of hermeneutics and incomplete coverage of passages potentially addressing the topic and subsequent application as a universal truth for all Christians in all places and times. :) 

I was a pacifist for a time and was convinced that was what the Bible taught for all Christians.  Since then, I've reconsidered that position.  At its core, my belief in Christian pacifism was essentially the belief that everything bad that happens is God's will for me to passively accept and that it would never be His will for me to take action to stop it.  To always sit back and do nothing is to assume that God's will in every such situation is completely being done through the actions and choices of an evil violent person and that His total and complete will for every Christian is to always allow that to happen.  Pushed to its natural conclusion, this mindset means that Christians should never stop bullying or stop anyone abusing or harming someone else except via use of verbal persuasion or calling someone in a uniform and a gun to use force and violence instead of us.  It's one thing to suffer for the gospel ourselves and not use violence to defend ourselves.  It's another to stand by and let someone violate another person and assume it's God's will to stand by when it's in our power to stop something.

In the future, there will be a world where the lion and lamb are buddies and no weapons will be found.  That is not today however.  A few years ago, my state started allowing concealed carry of weapons.  I've given thought to this and I've given thought as to what reasons I would ever resort to violence.  I'd not shoot or threaten anyone to stop a robbery or similar things.  Money or things are not a good enough reason for me.  However, in a situation where harm or death was imminent, I decided I'd like to have the capability of affecting the outcome.   I decided I'd be willing to take the responsibility for trying to make sure it was the evil violent person who suffered the harm or death rather than several bystanders or my family.  In addition, the capability of being able to exert lethal force has the potential for being a deterrent which might stop someone else from doing something.  I also live in a part of the country where you are not at the top of the food chain when you are out in nature.  There've been wolves killing pets and livestock for sport rather than food not too far away.   Up to this point, I've not had the inclination to spend the time and resources necessary to be a responsible gun owner, but I've not ruled it out.  

There are a wide range of situations in the world in which Christians find themselves.  I'm not convinced that sitting back and passively letting things happen is always God's plan for us.  I'm also not convinced that armed force is always the correct response.  I'm currently of the mind to leave this as a matter of conscience for each believer as to how much force they are comfortable using in various situations that they may be in.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

Firstly always follow your state laws. Secondly, find a weapon that fits your grip (hand), ya can't shoot well otherwise. Thirdly, take a trainin' course if ya ain't familiar with firearms, safety first! And I would advise gettin' a CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon permit) regardless if your state requires it, like here in Arizona. 

Just my two bits,    JJ

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

19 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

I've always been against guns (Personally, I don't care if the next person owns them) they've always rubbed me the wrong way personally...

However, since I'm gonna have a little one I feel I need to not only be able to protect him but myself as well.  If and when I get a gun it'll be a small one I'm comfy with

like a pistol or something.

Just wondering what are some steps in becoming a gun owner. 

Thanks

I'd make sure the gun is nowhere the child can get hold of it and kill himself, or someone else, accidentally.