• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

19 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

I've always been against guns (Personally, I don't care if the next person owns them) they've always rubbed me the wrong way personally...

However, since I'm gonna have a little one I feel I need to not only be able to protect him but myself as well.  If and when I get a gun it'll be a small one I'm comfy with

like a pistol or something.

Just wondering what are some steps in becoming a gun owner. 

Thanks

I'm a gun owner, myself.  I would have to ask - do you feel safe now with your parents?  If so, a gun is not the thing to purchase.  And the odds of a child finding the gun is not worth the risk  if you've never hid or stored one.  With a baby/little child in the house - I would advise locking it up and that would defeat your purpose.

Is your neighborhood safe?  Talk to you local police about home safety.  

• Brilliant! 1

Guest PinkBelt
3 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

This is a rather ironic statement seeing the content which followed with its lack of hermeneutics and incomplete coverage of passages potentially addressing the topic and subsequent application as a universal truth for all Christians in all places and times. :) 

I was a pacifist for a time and was convinced that was what the Bible taught for all Christians.  Since then, I've reconsidered that position.  At its core, my belief in Christian pacifism was essentially the belief that everything bad that happens is God's will for me to passively accept and that it would never be His will for me to take action to stop it.  To always sit back and do nothing is to assume that God's will in every such situation is completely being done through the actions and choices of an evil violent person and that His total and complete will for every Christian is to always allow that to happen.  Pushed to its natural conclusion, this mindset means that Christians should never stop bullying or stop anyone abusing or harming someone else except via use of verbal persuasion or calling someone in a uniform and a gun to use force and violence instead of us.  It's one thing to suffer for the gospel ourselves and not use violence to defend ourselves.  It's another to stand by and let someone violate another person and assume it's God's will to stand by when it's in our power to stop something.

In the future, there will be a world where the lion and lamb are buddies and no weapons will be found.  That is not today however.  A few years ago, my state started allowing concealed carry of weapons.  I've given thought to this and I've given thought as to what reasons I would ever resort to violence.  I'd not shoot or threaten anyone to stop a robbery or similar things.  Money or things are not a good enough reason for me.  However, in a situation where harm or death was imminent, I decided I'd like to have the capability of affecting the outcome.   I decided I'd be willing to take the responsibility for trying to make sure it was the evil violent person who suffered the harm or death rather than several bystanders or my family.  In addition, the capability of being able to exert lethal force has the potential for being a deterrent which might stop someone else from doing something.  I also live in a part of the country where you are not at the top of the food chain when you are out in nature.  There have been wolves killing pets and livestock for sport rather than food not too far away.   Up to this point, I've not had the inclination to spend the time and resources necessary to be a responsible gun owner, but I've not ruled it out.  

There are a wide range of situations in the world in which Christians find themselves.  I'm not convinced that sitting back and passively letting things happen is always God's plan for us.  I'm also not convinced that armed force is always the correct response.  I'm currently of the mind to leave this as a matter of conscience for each believer as to how much force they are comfortable using in various situations that they may be in.

Please show me how I was out of context or cherry picking. I posted the entire passages my highlighted statements came from.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,416
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

22 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

I've always been against guns (Personally, I don't care if the next person owns them) they've always rubbed me the wrong way personally...

However, since I'm gonna have a little one I feel I need to not only be able to protect him but myself as well.  If and when I get a gun it'll be a small one I'm comfy with

like a pistol or something.

Just wondering what are some steps in becoming a gun owner. 

Thanks

Best weapon is the armor of God. Armor up in it and share of that armor with  your child.

Separately; being a gun owner is a bit of a waste if one cannot afford to use it regularly for a gun sitting  in concealment  unused regularly is just a bad accident waiting to happen. Untrained you will likely kill your own offspring in any exciteable situation before you will stop any bad guy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

There have been so many innocent deaths due to guns. Law enforcement is supposed to have them. That is their job. The military is suppose to have them. But keep them out of the hands of people who use them recklessly. I am afraid that is a great many people. 

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

Just yesterday in the news, a toddler got a gun out of his grandmas purse and shot himself. 

There is a huge risk with children especially if you are new to guns. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

Fear the Lord and listen to his wisdom. It's all the protection you would need.  Believers don't need a crutch to hold on too, when they have the greatest general of all watching and guiding them, that is if you believe.  

Psalm 1 King James Version (KJV)

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

For the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

There have been so many innocent deaths due to guns. Law enforcement is supposed to have them. That is their job. The military is suppose to have them. But keep them out of the hands of people who use them recklessly. I am afraid that is a great many people. 

Law enforcement can't keep you safe from the people that one would need a weapon to protect them from...….   In our town it takes 3.5 minutes for them to respond to a call....   if someone comes into your house and you call them or even an alarm system, three minutes is too late...       If you do some studying, you will find that guns stop a lot of crime and potentially many more lives than are lost to gun violence...…     and it's not just a coincidence that most mass shootings occur in places that are gun free places.....     

You don't see Antifa going around beating people in states like ours where no one knows who is armed and who is not.....     I can say that I will not let them beat on my family with their big sticks or hands or feet.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,899
  • Content Per Day:  3.09
  • Days Won:  1

On 7/31/2019 at 4:30 AM, Figure of eighty said:

However, since I'm gonna have a little one I feel I need to not only be able to protect him but myself as well.  If and when I get a gun it'll be a small one I'm comfy with like a pistol or something.

Did Job lose his children because he didnt own weaponry ?

Job Loses Everything

13 Job’s sons and daughters were having a feast in the home of his oldest son, 14 when someone rushed up to Job and said, “While your servants were plowing with your oxen, and your donkeys were nearby eating grass, 15 a gang of Sabeans[a] attacked and stole the oxen and donkeys! Your other servants were killed, and I was the only one who escaped to tell you.”

16 That servant was still speaking, when a second one came running up and saying, “God sent down a fire that killed your sheep and your servants. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

17 Before that servant finished speaking, a third one raced up and said, “Three gangs of Chaldeans[b] attacked and stole your camels! All of your other servants were killed, and I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

18 That servant was still speaking, when a fourth one dashed up and said, “Your children were having a feast and drinking wine at the home of your oldest son, 19 when suddenly a windstorm from the desert blew the house down, crushing all of your children. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

20 When Job heard this, he tore his clothes and shaved his head because of his great sorrow. He knelt on the ground, then worshiped God 21 and said:

“We bring nothing at birth;
we take nothing
    with us at death.
The Lord alone gives and takes.
Praise the name of the Lord!”

22 In spite of everything, Job did not sin or accuse God of doing wrong.

Edited by R. Hartono

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

6 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

Did Job lose his children because he didn't own weaponry ?

So are you saying that everything bad that happens to people today is God's doing?

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,416
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

13 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Just yesterday in the news, a toddler got a gun out of his grandmas purse and shot himself. 

There is a huge risk with children especially if you are new to guns. 

I still remember how great the potential danger of even a single bit of ammunition might be. As a 5 year old I found a single bullet in my parents bureau tray. I took it outside to show my friends. We soon decided we could make a military mortar just like the ones in John Wayne Saturday movies.

I had a broken  plastic and light metal pingpong ball shooting toy rifle. So we broke the barrel off of it and started dropping the bullet down the barrel we we then holding upright on the asphalt sidewalk. We kept dropping that bullet down the barrel and dropping it, but nothing would happen. So  we figured, hey we need to strike the back of the bullet with something. Ah a big pointy rock might do... Then someone thought hey how strong is that barrel? Might the bullet come out the side and kill us? We pondered that awhile. Maybe, maybe it might, that and how do I put a used bullet back  in the tray? So we stopped. Kids as well as adults can get pretty stupid. No sense giving most of us  that extra opportunity to prove it.

• Brilliant! 1