• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

15 minutes ago, Melinda12 said:

So what's our problem? Can we not lower ourselves to give people a chance? 

Hmmm....."lower ourselves".  Do you think these people beneath you somehow?

I don't know why you don't understand that we DO talk to people who are not Christians.  A lot!  We DO have friends and relatives whose heels are dug in against God. 

You've made some assumptions that I just don't understand.

My best friend married in 1982.  I was friends with her husband, too.  They were madly in love - had four children together.  They moved away and over the decades, we lost touch.  I found out two years ago that he divorced her and married a man who he has lived with for the past six years.

His mother died two weeks ago and he came back for her funeral.  I went to the funeral and having not seen him in about 12 years - I hugged him and told him how much I loved and missed him and how sorry I was about his mother.  How could I have NOT gone to the funeral.

He introduced me to his "husband".  I shook his hand and held it a moment as I talked to him.  

But I didn't walk away.  I told them both that I was praying for them.  They knew exactly what I meant. And I have prayed for them - like mad.

And the church where the funeral was held.  It is one of the tiniest, most conservative churches you'll ever see.  They've known he was gay.  He was accepted and no one told him that he could not hold his mother's funeral there.  Like most churches here - at the funeral of a Christian, a gospel message is given.

His husband was not raised in church.  My friend was.  I pray that they both come to an understanding of the truth.

My love for my friend is genuine.  How else would I pray for him as I am?

Why do you think that we turn our backs on people who need the LORD?

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

My step-brother was openly gay, and he could be extremely difficult as a person in general, but I did love him. He left home to live the wild life in San Francisco, and a year later called to say he'd contracted HIV/AIDS. A couple more years down the road, he became ill and returned home to be cared for by my sister, a registered nurse. Six months later, passed away peacefully in his sleep, and into the arms of Jesus. He didn't live to see his 30th birthday.

The major factor here was, he came to accept Jesus as his Saviour and Lord, leaving his former life behind previous to his passing. My brother-in law, an ordained minister, officiated at the memorial that was chosen over a funeral. And it packed out the funeral home from wall to wall capacity. Of note, is was simply stated that a lost sheep had found his way to safe pastures. That pretty much said it all. God rest you, Jeff. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

6 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

...and you find out reasons then healing. Listen not condemn. 

I have a wide range of friends. Some are atheists, gay, other denominations. I am interested in them. 

Two examples.

One friend is gay and atheist and also a good person and great friend. This didn't happen by chance. He tells me grew up in a christian family. As a teenager he realised he is gay. The condemnation he faced drove him away from all religion. He has been with his partner for 30 years. He feels he has no need of God. 

Second. A male atheist. He told me as a child he was in a christian family. But his mother cruelly beat him if he showed reluctance to attend church. Once he grew up and left home, he refused ever to go to church again nor does he feel he needs God. 

So i say. Welcome and talk to all. Put your prejudices and assumptions aside. Everyone has their story. We are all sinners. Please don't condemn. Souls need direction and saving. It cannot be done by rejecting people. 

Anyone seen Les Miserables? In it everyone sees the main character as a hardened criminal, a sinner. Except the priest. He alone gives him kindness, respect and the chance to live a better life. A true man of God who snatches a condemned man away from the influences of the devil. By showing love. That is the key in my view. 

This post illustrates some of the problems in the greater Christian community, I have noticed this along. Hopefully the true believers here at Worthy don't behave as the parents Melinda 12 mentioned. When parents behave in ungodly ways they push their kids away from God. We must make this change. Nevertheless, homosexuality isn't right.

Melinda 12 you are correct in that any sinner should be welcomed in as an observer, but to be accepted as a member that person must show a real desire to change. And I am fully aware that often these changes can take 30 yrs or more.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,443
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I have a wide range of friends. Some are atheists, gay, other denominations. I am interested in them. 

Two examples.

One friend is gay and atheist and also a good person and great friend. This didn't happen by chance. He tells me grew up in a christian family. As a teenager he realised he is gay. The condemnation he faced drove him away from all religion. He has been with his partner for 30 years. He feels he has no need of God. 

Second. A male atheist. He told me as a child he was in a christian family. But his mother cruelly beat him if he showed reluctance to attend church. Once he grew up and left home, he refused ever to go to church again nor does he feel he needs God. 

So i say. Welcome and talk to all. Put your prejudices and assumptions aside. Everyone has their story. We are all sinners. Please don't condemn. Souls need direction and saving. It cannot be done by rejecting people. 

Anyone seen Les Miserables? In it everyone sees the main character as a hardened criminal, a sinner. Except the priest. He alone gives him kindness, respect and the chance to live a better life. A true man of God who snatches a condemned man away from the influences of the devil. By showing love. That is the key in my view. 

I don't believe a person is predisposed to be born gay. Anymore than a persons DNA predisposes them to be murders. An asthmatic is not born an asthmatic, it develops. 

Both the acts of murder and fornication are "choices" that are willfully acted upon and carried out. We are born into sin, we are not genetically born to commit predisposed choices and acts. If I was born to be a bank robber and used that defense in court of 'law', would that be a legal defense?

I'm a sinner, I don't condemn, I need to hear the truth and accept and follow it. I can't accept homosexuality as anything other than sin and an abomination to God. I personally have an aversion to open and blatant in your face homosexuality and inclusiveness of special protective laws and classes. We are to love the sinner, but hate the sin. Choices and actions have consequences. 

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.78
  • Days Won:  21

8 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Two examples.

Hi Melinda,

Like you, I have many acquaintances who are living lives that contradict the Word of God. I don't shun them but rather view them as people God has placed on my path to be a witness to. They know my stance on things such as homosexuality, gay marriage, atheism, etc. I don't sugar coat what Scripture says when speaking with them and in love I do continuously share the Truth with them. I believe we are to love all who cross our paths, just as Jesus did, but because we do love them we share the Truth of God's Word with them also. 

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

I was raised in a Christian home. We had a pastor that my parents really liked. Certain things came to light however, and many of the congregation voted him out of office. My parents were the only ones to stick by him. Because of this, it either was or seemed to be unwelcoming for them at church anymore, so they left. They have not gone to church since, and much of the rest of my youth was rather secular. I eventually bought into atheism as a young teenager. When I started thinking that surely there is an explaination for life beyond a random explosion, I looked elsewhere. I went to the New Age movement for a bit. Then I went to Buddhism. I then finally felt the pull to pick up the Bible.

I was the typical atheist, too. I'd mock people for their beliefs. Go online and start arguments. I've said and done many things in the past that I regret. Far too many things.

However, it must be of note that this was brought about not by someone speaking to me. It's not that I disagree, of course; hate the sin, not the sinner. I try to view everyone as a potential brother or sister. I also agree with other posts though that this should not be seen as a means of permissiveness. Sin is not okay and it never will be. The way I was in the past? It was incorrect. 

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

3 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Thankyou. Yes indeed. It must work both ways. An open dialogue from christians but growth after a while and appreciation. A process of influencing good over evil. 

Jesus dined with sinners. His apostle Mathew was a tax collector, not many wanted to be his friend. Christ hung next to a murderer and instantly forgave him. He spoke to prostitutes, the woman at the well who was a long time fornicator. Etc etc. 

So what's our problem? Can we not lower ourselves to give people a chance? 

I think your observation is good. Thing about our Lord is that He is comfortable in His own skin. He knew He had ALL the answers and being CALM, He could get to the heart of a matter pretty much instantly. I will not excuse the hard line of those that have a faith that has to be broadcast indiscriminately, neither will I condone those that are too soft and just 'let it be'.

Someplace there is a Spirit that will quicken or convict. That is why I love Wiggleworth and the book I have of his sermons and his various escapades that I believe his daughter complied. If we could only be like Smith, we would have folk flocking to us and asking us why they feel so ugly and ashamed when they are close by us.

I have seen some use the scriptures much like the inquisition did. They murder peoples' self worth and destroy what little hope they might have so very easily. If someone quotes the scripture AT you taking away the little self-esteem you have left, why would you want to come back for more? We just cannot be every ones conscience for them. So we have to TRUST that the Spirit that raised Christ from death dwells in us, or else we should button up and go someplace else. If we resort to scripture-bashing we already lost the plot. Perhaps 'letting go and letting God' has more than one application. 

Are we at peace? do we trust the Lord? Or do we have to be theologically right all the time leaving a wake of lost souls?

16 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

I think your observation is good. Thing about our Lord is that He is comfortable in His own skin. He knew He had ALL the answers and being CALM, He could get to the heart of a matter pretty much instantly. I will not excuse the hard line of those that have a faith that has to be broadcast indiscriminately, neither will I condone those that are too soft and just 'let it be'.

Someplace there is a Spirit that will quicken or convict. That is why I love Wiggleworth and the book I have of his sermons and his various escapades that I believe his daughter complied. If we could only be like Smith, we would have folk flocking to us and asking us why they feel so ugly and ashamed when they are close by us.

I have seen some use the scriptures much like the inquisition did. They murder peoples' self worth and destroy what little hope they might have so very easily. If someone quotes the scripture AT you taking away the little self-esteem you have left, why would you want to come back for more? We just cannot be every ones conscience for them. So we have to TRUST that the Spirit that raised Christ from death dwells in us, or else we should button up and go someplace else. If we resort to scripture-bashing we already lost the plot. Perhaps 'letting go and letting God' has more than one application. 

Are we at peace? do we trust the Lord? Or do we have to be theologically right all the time leaving a wake of lost souls?

I love Wiggleworth! I have his biography and i have now downloaded more samples of his books to explore. 

What you say resonates with me.  

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 7/31/2019 at 2:57 AM, Melinda12 said:

Listen not condemn.

Well, my question is, do you share of the gospel of Jesus with these people you meet and embrace? So far I haven't read of your testimony in that regard, have I missed it? Do you pray for these friends and acquaintances, are there some that you will ask others to join in prayer for to repent of their sin of rebellion against God?

• Thumbs Up 2