• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,522
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

8 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Jesus dined with sinners. His apostle Mathew was a tax collector, not many wanted to be his friend. Christ hung next to a murderer and instantly forgave him. He spoke to prostitutes, the woman at the well who was a long time fornicator.

Jesus also said to one accuse of adultery and "now go and sin no more".

Seems the Son of God did not condone her actions. He said "neither do I" ( condemn you),  But he instructed her too!  "Go, and sin no more".

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

As Christ's disciples, we are to look at people through His eyes. That being said, all people are people for whom Christ died regardless of their sin. If they are important enough for Christ to die for their sins, they should be important enough for me to treat them in like manner as He did. I do believe also that fellowship cannot be attained while the sinner is still living in sin. To have fellowship (partnership, common bond) with unbelievers is too risky, seeing that we have no common ground in which to fellowship with them. But the main reason is that the scriptures teach us not to.

Gary

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

18 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

As for choosing one's friends who are hardened atheists.

Psalm 14:1  The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.  KJV

I would decide not to keep such close relationships with fools. Just saying. 

Hi Beau,

why "hardened"?

Melinda told a story about two friends who are atheists. Like so many others. Well, atheists do have objections to Christ. They would be Christians otherwise. It's normal for them to not agree.

I would call them atheists.

Even the small words are important. We want to invite everyone for faith, do we? So why escalate here, Beau?

There are so many Christians around already that are ready to bash atheists, in my opinion.

But in general I like your posts a lot, Beau. Now I would like to take the opportunity to praise your efforts here on Worthy, they are great!

Thomas

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, thomas t said:

Hi Beau,

why "hardened"?

Melinda told a story about two friends who are atheists. Like so many others. Well, atheists do have objections to Christ. They would be Christians otherwise. It's normal for them to not agree.

I would call them atheists.

Even the small words are important. We want to invite everyone for faith, do we? So why escalate here, Beau?

There are so many Christians around already that are ready to bash atheists, in my opinion.

But in general I like your posts a lot, Beau. Now I would like to take the opportunity to praise your efforts here on Worthy, they are great!

Thomas

Thank you, Thomas. That's most kind of you to say. Please read below for my term: hardened. 

On 7/30/2019 at 11:57 PM, Melinda12 said:

One friend is gay and atheist and also a good person and great friend. This didn't happen by chance. He tells me grew up in a christian family. As a teenager he realised he is gay. The condemnation he faced drove him away from all religion. He has been with his partner for 30 years. He feels he has no need for God. 

Second. A male atheist. He told me as a child he was in a christian family. But his mother cruelly beat him if he showed reluctance to attend church. Once he grew up and left home, he refused ever to go to church again nor does he feel he has a need for God.  

23 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

That's okay for you, Melinda. I enjoy interacting with people that casually cross my way when out in public places. However, I'm uncomfortable making beyond acquaintance status with those who 'feel' they have no need for God. There so little to find in common with people who have this kind of mind set. Their hearts are hardened. 

I hope that explains things. Perhaps you'll also overlook my statement, "I would decide not to keep such close relationships with fools." Just saying. And maybe this would have been more preferable, "I would think it wise not to keep such close relationships with those who are foolish." And the reason being, God's Word still stands true. I'll shorten the passage to get to the point.  

Psalm 44:1  The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.  KJV 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,896
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, BeauJangles said:

"I would think it wise not to keep such close relationships with those who are foolish." And the reason being, God's Word still stands true.

Amen, Beaujangles. This covers the broad spectrum, I believe.

2Ti 3:1-9
(1)  This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
(2)  For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
(3)  Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
(4)  Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
(5)  Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
(6)  For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
(7)  Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
(8)  Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
(9)  But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Psalm 44:1  The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.  KJV 

ok.

But the two friends could also be agnostics. See definition here from Webster. They say they don't rule out a God. They just see no reason to be theists. This is different.

Thomas

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

2 minutes ago, thomas t said:

ok.

But the two friends could also be agnostics. See definition here from Webster. They say they don't rule out a God. They just see no reason to be theists. This is different.

Thomas

I believe you can give me the credit of knowing exactly what an agnostic is. Thanks, I have my own Merriam Webster handy. 

2 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

I believe you can give me the credit of knowing exactly what an agnostic is.

ok Beau. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29

1 hour ago, pinacled said:

I don't recall ever hearing anything like this in the account of Matt, Mark, Luke, or John.

I think you know what she meant to say.  True that's not in the Bible.

Jesus hung between two thieves.  Both of whom hurled insults and ridicule at him initially. [Matthew 27].  Luke 23 says one of them later confessed his sin and acknowledged Jesus as sinless and asked to be with him.  

I would like to say that Jesus did not offer him paradise nor speak to him as far as we are told while the thief was hurling ridicule at Christ.  He was forgiven AFTER he repented of sin, not during the sin.

Yes, Jesus did have a personal and lengthy conversation with the woman at the well who had been married five times and was at the time of the conversation with Jesus - shacked up.

Jesus sent his disciples away.  I feel as they may have looked down their noses at her.  But that's just my opinion.

But what did they talk about?  The truth of worship and HER SIN.  Lengthy detail of her sin. She repented, told a whole town of Jesus Christ, and a many, many people listened to Jesus and repented of their sins.

I don't know of any place in the Bible where Jesus had a conversation with a prostitute.  I won't say he never did - because as Savior - I'm sure he took his message of repentance to all and that would include prostitutes.  It's just not recorded in the Bible.

The closet I can think of is the woman who cried on his feet and washed his feet with her hair.  She is described as a "sinner".  That could mean a lot of thing - even a lot of immoral things, prostitution included, but prostitute was never specifically said.

The point is that Jesus Christ NEVER excused or overlooked people's sin.  He met them where they were and called them to repentance and change.  He loved them and showed great compassion for those entrenched in sin.  But he never left them wallowing in it.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.24

There is no excuse for child abuse.  God was not in that at all but gets the blame.

I don't know what they could have done about the homosexual other than steer him away from the sin.  They could get him in counseling and pray for him to be delivered.