IGNORED

Overreacting? What do you do if you lose your cool?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/10/1972

4 minutes ago, Jostler said:

blacksmithing...man you can put  things in fires and laugh and then beat them repeatedly....nobody will even know you lost  your  cool :)

That seems like a healthy way to work out stress. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

14 hours ago, mlbrokish said:

Stress. Life struggles. Lack of sleep. Rebellious children / teens. Marital problems. Psychological, medical, or emotional issues.

The list goes on and on.

I generally keep a pretty tolerant nature and try to have patience with those around me, but I do overreact at times.  I feel guilty almost immediately.  I will usually try to take a moment to meditate or pray in order to focus on what's most important - to love and serve the Lord. 

What do you do when your patience is running thin, or you overreact?

A person has to stop controlling their life and put God in the drivers seat. You give your life struggles to God. A person will lose it when they are trying to control their life rather than submitting it to God. 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

21 hours ago, mlbrokish said:

Stress. Life struggles. Lack of sleep. Rebellious children / teens. Marital problems. Psychological, medical, or emotional issues.

The list goes on and on.

I generally keep a pretty tolerant nature and try to have patience with those around me, but I do overreact at times.  I feel guilty almost immediately.  I will usually try to take a moment to meditate or pray in order to focus on what's most important - to love and serve the Lord. 

I sometimes wonder if I have enough control over my temper. I wonder if I haven't caused problems for myself because of a lack of control.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

I sometimes wonder if I have enough control over my temper. I wonder if I haven't caused problems for myself because of a lack of control.

Give it to God. Tell Him your concerns regarding your temper. He will help you work on it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

On 8/3/2019 at 5:25 PM, mlbrokish said:

I know the feeling.  It's very difficult to maintain patience when under great pressure - especially from people that know how to wind you up!

Don't beat yourself up too much if your snap.  You are only human and the flesh gets irritable very quickly - misleading our spirit in turn. 

The best thing to do is apologise to the parties you have overreacted to.  Explain that it was wrong of you to lose your cool and that you need to work on your temper.  I think this is the best way.   In doing so, it kinda reminds me of these words from the Lord...

"What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’  'I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.  Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go. Which of the two did what his father wanted?...” ~ Matthew 21-31

Therefore, I believe that doing the wrong thing in the heat of the moment (in this case overreacting) is forgivable and understandable by the Father, if later you correct your course.  

As for how to stop it happening in the future, I wish I had a full-proof method for you.  However, it may help to see the situation and person soberly or objectively - trying to see them as the Lord might.  Maybe even visualise the moment playing on a big screen before you and Yahweh on judgement day, and then try to consider your actions and reactions with that view, in real time.

I hope that helps.

Love & Shalom

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

On 8/3/2019 at 11:25 AM, mlbrokish said:

For me, I find that things like that are usually symptoms of not having been taking care of myself properly.  I take it as a wake up call to examine how I spend my time, where my mind is focusing, and things like that.   If it's minor, I might just need to readjust my priorities a bit.   If it's major, sometimes God will steer me toward serious changes in the things I'm doing in my life.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

The list goes on and on.

I calm myself down and listen to music. Does listening to music when i am frustrated ever stop, listening to music has no limit.