• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

Renee I  am one who has begun to hate the word "religious".  Not because of what it really means but because  of how it's begun to be understood and applied.

The way  I see "religious" being used today is to describe rule bound, law keeping systems....  supplanting  and replacing the relationship He died to restore us to.

As if we could ever please Him or be worthy to Him because of anything we do. 

So it's really a matter of perspective on what people mean when they use the word.  "Religion" is really about that relationship in which we grow to hear His  voice, moment by moment, learning obedience to Who we're hearing.  Not following some formula....some list of do this, don't do that.  Simply basking in His manifest presence, saying only what we hear and doing only what He says to  do.  If we focus on learning that...practicing His  presence....He works through us and we don't sin because He will never ever tell us to do something that is sinful.

If we focus  on lists of rules....laws or even the Law...we lost the plot already.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

You are correct. Yeshua/Jesus basically said 'follow me' and 'Believe on Me and you will have eternal life'. Of course, He is God in the flesh which some have difficulty with. But it is just OK and fine to hold to the Christian Religion.

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

The word is in the Bible 5 times.

Paul used the word three times to describe his former walk in the "Jew's religion" and their "careful sects" and "zealousness after the traditions of their fathers."  He is speaking keeping the law outwardly and keeping man-made traditions added to that.  The Greek word is defined as an outward observance of  the external including rites and ceremonies.

James uses the word to speak of the vanity of it when one cannot even bridle his own tongue.

James also defines "pure religion".  He defines it as "to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction and to keep oneself unspotted from the world".

Many people today connect the word religion with works, man-made traditions, and more rites and ceremonies that are not Biblically commanded and many times mean nothing.

I have no problem with the word.  Christianity IS a religion.  Just remember it's not the same word to all people.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

I’m sure I won’t get any replies to this topic but if someone has the time I would appreciate some feedback. When did religion or being religious become something bad?

People have described me as very religious and then go on to say that they are spiritual. When I ask them what spiritual means, they don’t have an answer.

I was labeled religious by an in-law who walked into my home and saw Scripture written on my wall. She interrupted a bible study I was having with my three kids. It’s funny because she was picking up her four-year-old special needs son whom  I was babysitting for free. That was the Spirit who led me to offer to babysit her son for free because in the flesh I wanted to say no. I have three young kids of my own. 

The question is, what is wrong with being religious? My definition of religion is: I believe there is a God and I believe there is a correct way to worship that God. Christians believe the correct way to worship God is through Christ.

in my opinion, Christianity is a faith that is both religious and spiritual.

Born again Christians are going towards the light. The world is going towards the dark. Those in this world who are not Christians think we as born again Christians are very odd. Some really hate us. Being religious means nothing really. Having a daily relationship with God is what all born again Christians should strive for. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,382
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

Personally I'm not a fan of people saying they're spiritual but not religious. Often times it seems like a cop out. These days when the world describes religion in a positive or neutral way it's often called something along the lines of "a path to inner peace". Looking at it that way leaves the need for salvation and the prospect of an afterlife out of the picture, despite the fact that those elements are very prominent in both Christianity and many major religions of the world. I can understand people wanting to distance themselves from the ways religion has been abused and misused but like ReneeIW I've found that asking people to define what they mean by spiritual typically reveals that they don't have an answer.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

18 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

I’m sure I won’t get any replies to this topic but if someone has the time I would appreciate some feedback. When did religion or being religious become something bad?

People have described me as very religious and then go on to say that they are spiritual. When I ask them what spiritual means, they don’t have an answer.

I was labeled religious by an in-law who walked into my home and saw Scripture written on my wall. She interrupted a bible study I was having with my three kids. It’s funny because she was picking up her four-year-old special needs son whom  I was babysitting for free. That was the Spirit who led me to offer to babysit her son for free because in the flesh I wanted to say no. I have three young kids of my own. 

The question is, what is wrong with being religious? My definition of religion is: I believe there is a God and I believe there is a correct way to worship that God. Christians believe the correct way to worship God is through Christ.

in my opinion, Christianity is a faith that is both religious and spiritual.

It's like "preaching" which means "Don't preach at me/too me." Preaching the gospel is a highest good.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

Religeon covers a multitude of meanings.

For me I understand it to be something that is performed, that rituals and ceremonies are done to placate the object of worship.

Christianity is the spiritaul worahip in truth of Jesus and by spiritual I understand the sincere love for Jesus and the desire to e obedient to him.

Spiritual in the sence of not being Christian or religious is a vague worship of the 'force' without knowing what it is.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

When the truth got in the way of what this self centered narcissistic generation wanted

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

All Religions have a few things in common.Mainly, Religion says “ look at what I am doing for God”. Christianity says “ look what God did for man”.

In a nutshell, it’s this......Religion says “ DO”, Christianity says “ DONE”........

It is the tragedy of Christianity that too many people have turned True Christianity into just another religion —- do do this and don’t do that —- work to make yourself “ worthy” instead of resting in the Truth ... We are “MADE” worthy by our faith in the Blood of the Lamb......Religion is the polar opposite of  Christianity .Its all about “ cleaning one’s self up” to be “ good enough” to be acceptable in God’s sight.A Jewish English Professor that I had in college, not a Christian by any stretch of the imagination , put on the blackboard the following —“ Anybody that thinks they are good enough for Heaven is damned”....that upset the majority of students in the Room......all of their lives , they believed this lie—- the lie of religion  that sends countless deceived souls to a very bad place ........

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1