edited

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Jesus will separate the sheep from the goats.  He also promised us that all who seek to live godly lives in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.  So we bear reproach with Him.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

21 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

This discussion must hinge on one’s definition of what “ being religious” means......To me, a “ Religionist” is anybody that imitates the behavior of a True Christian and is clueless about the Source of it.He does things because he thinks he “ has” to .The True Christian’s behavior is simply the natural outflow of the  indwelling Holy Spirit.A True  Christian is not ate up all of the time worrying about sin and behavior.He knows he is forgiven because of the finished work of the Cross.The Religious Man is working for that forgiveness, constantly trying to earn it and keep it every hour of every.He is miserable .Always forced to avoid the things he wants to do , and forcing himself to perform those things he does not enjoy.Yes,He is trying to do things that only those with a New Heart can do.He May  even have “  a zeal for the things of God,”yet without knowledge .A religious person has a head knowledge of Christianity, but no “ Heart” knowledge.Therein lies the difference between joy and misery.And we all know “ Misery loves Company”. Trusting , not trying separates the Religious Man from The Christian Man.Religions says “ do”, Christianity says “ done”. God bless

Right on. Very, very well said. I just love it . Nothing like hearing the truth from another believer who is living their words of faith in peace and love. :t2:

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  237
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:58 AM, ReneeIW said:

I’m sure I won’t get any replies to this topic but if someone has the time I would appreciate some feedback. When did religion or being religious become something bad?

People have described me as very religious and then go on to say that they are spiritual. When I ask them what spiritual means, they don’t have an answer.

I was labeled religious by an in-law who walked into my home and saw Scripture written on my wall. She interrupted a bible study I was having with my three kids. It’s funny because she was picking up her four-year-old special needs son whom  I was babysitting for free. That was the Spirit who led me to offer to babysit her son for free because in the flesh I wanted to say no. I have three young kids of my own. 

The question is, what is wrong with being religious? My definition of religion is: I believe there is a God and I believe there is a correct way to worship that God. Christians believe the correct way to worship God is through Christ.

in my opinion, Christianity is a faith that is both religious and spiritual.

Hi Renee. In the eyes of the unsaved world anyone who believes in God is fair game for criticism. The hijacking of words to use as put-downs is common and is one of many ways unsaved people suppress the truth. 

Rom 1:18  For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,

A good response to these critics who scornfully accuse us of "being religious" or having "got religion", is to mention that there is a difference between "being religious" and "being filled with the Holy Spirit". Then for however long the door is open the focus should stay on Christ and His gift of eternal life.

(1Co 16:9)  For a great and effective door has opened to me, and there are many adversaries.
(2Co 2:12)  Furthermore, when I came to Troas to preach Christ's gospel, and a door was opened to me by the Lord,
(Col 4:3)  meanwhile praying also for us, that God would open to us a door for the word, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in chains,

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

26 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

Hi Renee. In the eyes of the unsaved world anyone who believes in God is fair game for criticism. The hijacking of words to use as put-downs is common and is one of many ways unsaved people suppress the truth. 

Rom 1:18  For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,

A good response to these critics who scornfully accuse us of "being religious" or having "got religion", is to mention that there is a difference between "being religious" and "being filled with the Holy Spirit". Then for however long the door is open the focus should stay on Christ and His gift of eternal life.

(1Co 16:9)  For a great and effective door has opened to me, and there are many adversaries.
(2Co 2:12)  Furthermore, when I came to Troas to preach Christ's gospel, and a door was opened to me by the Lord,
(Col 4:3)  meanwhile praying also for us, that God would open to us a door for the word, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in chains,

It has been my experience that most people really like Christian.Even the lost. They dont refer to them as Christians. They just have reputations as the best workers or their favorite co-worker.He is known as “ that real nice guy , always a pleasure to be around” or “ that guy who stays cool when everybody around him is going nuts”. People want to know, “ why is that guy so laid- back and smiling all the time.Lost people don’t know if the guy is a Christian or not and frankly they don’t care.All they know is that their is something special about him.The stern, scowling , judgemental Religionist that we encounter in life or are forced to work with are usually considered jerks and they tend to be avoided at all times.Even before I was saved, I knew to avoid religious people . I still do. I love Christians and loathe the religious imitators.Jesus had to contend with them in His day.He referred to them as religious hypocrites .Phonies.I do not possess near as many qualities of Jesus as I would like to—- but we got something in common on this matter— we don’t like religionists and we don’t like phonies.If one has the Holy Spirit residing in Him or her— I am not referring to you.I am referring to those that “ act” like Christians without the indwelling Power— the Tares  that look just like the Believer but deep down, trust in “ Their” performance and merely extend lip service to “ HIS” performance.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.55

13 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

He referred to them as religious hypocrites

These were people in positions of power burdening other people with man made rules while ignoring the actual commandments of God themselves. 

The modern day  “religious” people you seem to be  referring to are not doing that. 

14 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Hi Michael,

This was another Christian who called me religious. I had been taking care of her special needs son  for months and overtime she noticed a pattern of behavior from me. Mainly light weight Bible Study with my kids, Scripture written on one wall in my home (1 Corinthians 13) and lots of Christian books. This was two years ago. I can barely read any Scripture now after going through a traumatic event. 

But I think she looked at the focus of Bible Study in my home and came to the conclusion that I was religious. Although she is Christian, she does not read the Bible but says she is spiritual. The reason why I was reading a lot was because I was totally  dependent on it. If I went too long without reading, my behavior and faith would start to slip.

Anyway, my point to you is that it’s other Christians, not the world, who are calling believers “religious” if they try and do anything that the Bible instructs us to do. 

18 hours ago, Seasoned by Grace said:

It's just horrid what I've seen and heard countless times from mostly leadership people who everyone trusted, and then they betrayed people in the harshest most cruel ways imaginable- IT BREAKS MY HEART TO EVEN TALK ABOUT IT or bring it back to memory

Why do you think the betrayal happened? Is it because “everyone trusted” them as you stated? I’m working through some similar feelings about church leadership based on some things I’ve gone through. 

Do you think we place too much trust in leadership and thus give them too much power? I don’t think mortals are able to handle power very well. I sometimes wonder if a too trusting or too supportive  congregation enables bad behavior from leadership.

It sounds like you were dealing with people condemning people to hell for certain behaviors or beliefs.

What I was dealing with was the opposite. Men behaving badly(very badly) and the church covering it up and condemning those who wanted to shed light on it. The ones who wanted to shed light were called: religious, vindictive, unforgiving etc.

Sorry that this  was slightly off topic. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.43

On 8/4/2019 at 2:58 PM, ReneeIW said:

I’m sure I won’t get any replies to this topic but if someone has the time I would appreciate some feedback. When did religion or being religious become something bad?

People have described me as very religious and then go on to say that they are spiritual. When I ask them what spiritual means, they don’t have an answer.

I was labeled religious by an in-law who walked into my home and saw Scripture written on my wall. She interrupted a bible study I was having with my three kids. It’s funny because she was picking up her four-year-old special needs son whom  I was babysitting for free. That was the Spirit who led me to offer to babysit her son for free because in the flesh I wanted to say no. I have three young kids of my own. 

The question is, what is wrong with being religious? My definition of religion is: I believe there is a God and I believe there is a correct way to worship that God. Christians believe the correct way to worship God is through Christ.

in my opinion, Christianity is a faith that is both religious and spiritual.

It is a matter of definition Renee. Satan fights from 2 towers Lawlessness which is overt wickedness, and Legalism which is covert and creeps in amongst the sheep. The religious spirit is self righteous and judges others based on external actions, rather than internal motive. Practicing your religion does not mean you have the religious spirit, it only means you are devoted, when that devotion crosses a line to being of the religious spirit is when you look down on others because they are less religious than you are. This article from Charisma news might help you understand the difference better. 

https://www.charismanews.com/opinion/the-pulse/48035-10-sure-signs-you-have-a-religious-spirit

As a general rule of thumb, When religion is used to place oneself on a pedestal of Pride, it has become detrimental, when religion is used to strengthen our relationship with God it is Pure. This is a lot deeper than this, But it is something all Christians need to be aware of, Are we looking up at Christ, or are we looking down at others. The Moment we look down is when pride overtakes us. Keep your eyes on Jesus. With him as our focus we will never inflate ourselves. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. (John 15:5) 

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

8 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

Why do you think the betrayal happened? Is it because “everyone trusted” them as you stated? I’m working through some similar feelings about church leadership based on some things I’ve gone through. 

Do you think we place too much trust in leadership and thus give them too much power? I don’t think mortals are able to handle power very well. I sometimes wonder if a too trusting or too supportive  congregation enables bad behavior from leadership.

It sounds like you were dealing with people condemning people to hell for certain behaviors or beliefs.

What I was dealing with was the opposite. Men behaving badly(very badly) and the church covering it up and condemning those who wanted to shed light on it. The ones who wanted to shed light were called: religious, vindictive, unforgiving etc.

Sorry that this  was slightly off topic. 

Hi :) ReneelW

No problem being off topic. Great questions , and I'm sorry that your having to deal with these issues.

To me, TRUST is one of the foundational principles of the physical church on every corner, along with MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF LOVE that Christianity and the church was founded on.

I have seen many times in many churches and experienced myself several times the devisiveness and hatefulness that church leaders in particular , can rain down on tenderhearted Christ loving members of their church, and some times even damage them and their faith, and drive them away. It was heartbreaking to see, and devastating to experience.

In any relationship, trust is a huge issue and should never be betrayed for any reason. NO ONE is to blame for the leaderships failing, but the leadership, and THEY WILL ANSWER FOR IT.

God in His word says that sin in the church is to be exposed and brought into the light, so it can be dealt with - never hidden as you say they are trying to do, and trying to protect someone who needs to be dealt with in a Godly, but firm way as the bible says, God's word is very clear on that.

When we have close friends in a church, it's hard when they leave or we have to leave, but you may find yourself, as I did, finding another church full of love and compassion and a truly honest desire there to serve you and all the congregation in love and respect.

I'll pray for you, not just today, but for weeks to come for your widom and for guidance from the Holy Spirit.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, ReneeIW said:

These were people in positions of power burdening other people with man made rules while ignoring the actual commandments of God themselves. 

The modern day  “religious” people you seem to be  referring to are not doing that. 

A hypocrite is a hypocrite......the ones with power just have the ability to browbeat and coerce people into “ falling into a ditch” with the  others.They are “ The blind who lead the blind”.The everyday, run- of- the - mill religious hypocrite is generally just considered a jerk to be avoided.

Allow me to give you an example.I have a sister in law that “ got religion” a few years back.She is unbearable to spend time with. At family gatherings , one can’t say a word without her spouting off some kind of out  of context Scripture ,she barely has any knowledge of Paul or the Gospel Of Grace.Her beliefs are more akin to Old Testament Judaism with just a little bit of Jesus sprinkled in.She is alway pointing out the sins of others,  it of course “ she” is doing a stellar job of “being worthy”. She firmly believes she is a good girl.Well, not too long ago, the husband of this “ good girl” was found to be having an affair. She had the right to  get divorced.She could have forgiven him.She could have talked to her Pastor to get some help and guidance.What was her answer to this problem? You guessed it She went out and had a one night stand.Now She is “even”. Perhaps. All I know is that they are both miserable, constantly argue and she continues to lecture others,condemning others who do far less than commit adultery, and pointing her finger at others, spouting out her Biblical ignorance at every opportunity.

This is the type of person I am referring to when I discuss religious hypocrisy.Ignorant,poorly taught people like her abound— most are just not so obvious.The truth is- she is nuts.I pray for her.