Tigger56

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  0

A couple of days ago I was coming out of an Ingles grocery store. I will often wear Christian theme hats or T-shirts. That particular day I was wearing a shirt that declared on the front, "Ya'll Need Jesus".  I wasn't really thinking about the fact that the shirt along with a pack of beer might be offensive to someone, but I had gone into the store to pick up a 12 pack of beer. When leaving the store an elderly man and woman was getting out of their car and the look of judgement was all over the man's face as he saw my shirt and what I was carrying in my hand. I didn't have the beer hidden in a grocery bag as it was the only item I had picked up. I saw him whisper to his wife and both just stared at me as I walked to my pick-up truck. I am in the section of country known as "the Bible belt". I believe it was also on Sunday that I made my purchase. Up until just a few years ago, we also had "blue laws" which prohibited the buying and selling of any alcohol on Sundays. I even grew up in a "dry county" that prohibited the sale of any alcohol. 

It wasn't my intention to shock the elderly couple and I realize that many in my area are good southern Baptists and they condemn the use of any alcohol and truly believe that Jesus drank only grape juice and never wine even at the last supper. Many grew up thinking that all alcohol was evil and was condemned along with dancing and card playing. (I also like to dance and play cards).  I don't make it a habit to offend others and am sorry that they appeared to be offended by me. But I also have no problem with alcohol as long as it isn't drank in excess. I enjoy a cold beer in a frosted mug or straight out a bottle or can. It was made to go with pizza! I also enjoy a good glass of wine and sometimes even a mixed drink.

I am curious of the background of others in the forum. What were you taught? And what are your beliefs about alcoholic beverages? 

Edited by Tigger56
add more words to clarify a sentence
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

6 minutes ago, Tigger56 said:

I wasn't really thinking about it but I had gone into the store to pick up a 12 pack of beer.

what? :huh:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

what? :huh:

What what? Was there a question or perhaps the sentence was vague so here is the explanation....  I wasn't thinking about the fact that wearing a shirt with "Jesus" on it while picking up some beer might offend someone. It is normal for me to wear Christian slogans on shirts, etc.... and yes it is normal for me to enjoy an occasional beer.

2 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

Your shirt most likely wasn't tucked in and you probably bought the wrong brand of beer. :whistling:

How did you know????   My shirt wasn't tucked in and I did buy a brand I normally don't buy!   You are very perceptive.:D

Edited by Tigger56
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

The enjoyment of alcohol...

2 minutes ago, Tigger56 said:

What what? Was there a question or perhaps the sentence was vague so here is the explanation....  I wasn't thinking about the fact that wearing a shirt with "Jesus" on it  while picking up some beer might offend someone. It is normal for me to wear Christian slogans on shirts, etc.... and yes it is normal for me to enjoy an occasional beer.

Sorry bro, but perhaps you should have given it a little consideration into wearing a shirt with less advertisement of a spiritual statement on it? :rolleyes: 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Content Per Day:  3.07
  • Days Won:  1

Its ok to drink alcohol sometimes as long as we are not addicted and not intending to get drunk but for health reason such as when we catch fever. I however dont stock any can of beer or alcohol at home. There are hundreds of delicious non alcoholic beverages we can make without getting high.

Edited by R. Hartono
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

14 minutes ago, Tigger56 said:

How did you know????   My shirt wasn't tucked in and I did buy a brand I normally don't buy!   You are very perceptive.:D

Was it craft beer or a macro brew? When Jesus turned water into wine, he turned it into top quality stuff.  (John 2:10) A Jesus shirt and Bud Lite?...they were judging you. Life is too short to drink crappy beer.

• Haha 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,061
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I can live well without it for the love of my Brothers an Sisters around me :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 4

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Content Per Day:  3.07
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, Bawcash said:

Life is too short to drink crappy beer.

You'll never get enough with flesh appetite.