• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0

30 minutes ago, Tigger56 said:

But when I am outside going about my business..... I don't plan on the stopping of the purchase of alcohol and I don't plan on not displaying by beliefs.

I don’t want to annoy you or beat this into the ground, but when you put on something that has Christ’s name on it, you are NOT going about your business. You are then representing Him and going about His business. When doing that you should be extra mindful about how your behavior is being perceived by others even if what you are doing is not inherently wrong.  

All I’m saying is be a little more thoughtful. That is what we are called to do as Christians. 

Edited by ReneeIW
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, RTCarroll said:

Why is that?

Because alcoholism is viewed as a more serious epidemic that causes a lot more destruction and pain. Just my opinion. 

Also, if you read Titus 1:6-9 about choosing elders,  gluttony is not mentioned in that, but drunkenness is. 

6If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly. 7For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; 8But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; 9Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Edited by ReneeIW

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  5

I am a “ free man in Christ” and I do many things that most churches would frown upon.I could not care less.God knows my heart and He knows that I now have a “ New Heart” that longs to please Him and Him alone and that includes being concerned and watching out for weaker brethren.Sinful man that I am, there is a part of me that would love to grab a beer , light up a cigar,lean back in my Lamborghini and blow smoke in the faces of legalists and quote Paul by telling them to get lost if they don’t like the way I conduct my life,since “ all things are lawful”.How great that  would feel sometimes!Its no fun to deny ourselves the things that we know don’t amount to a hill of beans, but we have been ordered by Paul to take the high road and give in to our weaker Brother, lest we do him harm.Therefore, I will roll my eyes, grit my teeth  , put a phony smile on my face and give in to what I know is nonsense .Christianity is the greatest thing in the universe! Sometimes it just ain’t no fun.I only drink beer in the privacy of my own home ( Hic ! ).... lol

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

35 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Only when you have a 12 pack of beer under your arm, while heading for that classy car. :whistling:

And stuffing a double whopper with cheese in your face with your other hand. ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

1 hour ago, Tigger56 said:

could have even been the USC hat I was wearing (university of South Carolina), there are many Clemson fans in my area

Don't get cocky in tiger country!

• Haha 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

2 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

Because alcoholism is viewed as a more serious epidemic that causes a lot more destruction and pain. Just my opinion. 

Also, if you read Titus 1:6-9 about choosing elders,  gluttony is not mentioned in that, but drunkenness is. 

6If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly. 7For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; 8But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; 9Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Should we be basing our actions on the views of man or of God?

99.9% of us are not trying out for elder, so not sure how that applies to this situation. 

4 hours ago, RTCarroll said:

99.9% of us are not trying out for elder, so not sure how that applies to this situation.

You brought up admonishing an overweight/350 lb pastor. You also brought up people claiming some sins were worse than others. I was simply pointing out that in Titus, Paul doesn’t mention gluttony as a disqualification for being a pastor even though gluttony is a sin.Paul does mention alcohol. 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

5 hours ago, RTCarroll said:

Then again, those traits are not limited to elders. it is not as though Paul is saying, "If you do not want to e an elder, it is ok to be blameworthy, have many wives, have faithless children who are accused of rioting and being unruly, etc."

The standards he is applying, are good for all, it is just that for an elder, we want good examples, not Christians, that will not walk the talk.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

7 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

I think gluttony could fall under self control and discipline. Take it from someone who is diabetic, food can be the most dangerous thing in the world if we are undisciplined. Beer can’t hold a candle to it’s quiet destruction if we’re not careful. 

• Praying! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

On 8/7/2019 at 11:43 AM, RTCarroll said:

Just about anything can create an appearance of evil. 

Well said. We have all experienced the effects of Alcohol some good, some bad.  Its the one thing you don't want to much of, and one to respect. It was given to use to use, not abuse.  Weddings party, and  funerals  are gathered around the  vine,    The people that judge should not.  When i have a drink, I THANK GOD for it.