• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

10 hours ago, RTCarroll said:

Just about anything can create an appearance of evil. 

It is combining it with the Jesus shirt that gives an appearance of evil.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Bawcash said:

If you like beer and drink it for the taste, you wouldn't drink anything that they sell as non alcoholic beer or near-beer. Yuck! When you push beyond the taste buds of adolescence liking only sweet and learn to appreciate the complexities of what you are tasting in craft beers or wines and even spirits, they can be very enjoyable. In most cases like this, people are drinking it for the same reason that in the south people drink SWEET tea. Otherwise known as diabetes in a glass or miracle grow for your (back side). You are drinking it for the enjoyment of the taste, not the side effects.

Since I don't like beer, I wouldn't know.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

9 minutes ago, Firm Foundation said:

Sorry. I should have said if one likes craft beer not "you". My bad.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

45 minutes ago, Firm Foundation said:

It is combining it with the Jesus shirt that gives an appearance of evil.

Would combining the Jesus shirt with driving a 75,000 dollar car also give an appearance of evil?

Would wearing the Jesus shirt while weighing 350 pounds also give an appearance of evil?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Firm Foundation said:

Have you tried a nice craft beer?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

The original question  asked what were we taught about alcoholic beverages.

The first thing I was taught was do not water down my dad's  bottles, he marks them. Okay dad, never entered my head to do so.

Second thing I learned was my friend's family has a full bar  and slot machines in the basement of their home and they go off to Miami often leaving him at home with grandpa. My friend became my best  friend. Together we found peach brandy is pretty good, but Wild Turkey is way better.

And in general beer drinkers are wimps when it comes to consuming alcohol. 

Do not bring bourbon to class, bring vodka.

That was about the extent of my junior high school years education about alcohol.

That and the corner druggist's cough syrup is 70% alcohol by volume and 10% codeine plus water and sugar. Not bad, gets me through exam days. 

My own education in alcohol came to no good end. Eventually I realized this isn't working well, and stopped most all consumption of any type of alcohol product.

Don't much care about physical appearances though as is shown by  my WallyWorld clothing wardrobe. More seriously attire does affect some, but I have often chanced it anyway figuring it is a stumble they will soon recover from if it bothers them.

More importantly I am very careful about the opportunity for gossip to occur, so I do not ever have an office door closed nor work alone with a woman, those kinds of things. I once wore my Cleveland Rocks  Rock and Roll Hall of Fame t-shirt to church and managed to offend the music director as well as a nice Sunday school teacher.

Appearances, like it or not, do have affect and the choice is there  for each of us whether it will be good effect or bad. Perhaps better guidance is found in the thought,  if in doubt why risk it?

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Yeah sure, that is why Ed McMann was successful in  coining the expression  for Budweiser "bring home a 12 pack for the weekend", it was enjoyment of the taste. And why Coors today shows  on tv some fool drinking Coors in the shower, all for the taste. Or why the male tailgaters to the Bucs football games have dual funnels feeding beer into the mouths of the passing young "babes", all for the taste not for the effect.

Yep I'll buy a pound of that tale.

Wow! Do you think you may have missed the point just a little bit?

Edited by Bawcash

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.55

2 hours ago, RTCarroll said:

Would combining the Jesus shirt with driving a 75,000 dollar car also give an appearance of evil?

Would wearing the Jesus shirt while weighing 350 pounds also give an appearance of evil

No it would not because neither one of those things has been associated with evil the same way alcohol has. 

Im reading a Christian book right now where the author just talked about how it was typical in his Irish Catholic town to hear men beating their wives after getting drunk. 

Drunkenness is associated with anger, drunk driving deaths, severe addiction, infidelity(it was the alcohol) and so many other harms to other people. 

7 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

No it would not because neither one of those things has been associated with evil the same way alcohol has. 

Im reading a Christian book right now where the author just talked about how it was typical in his Irish Catholic town to hear men beating their wives after getting drunk. 

Drunkenness is associated with anger, drunk driving deaths, severe addiction, infidelity(it was the alcohol) and so many other harms to other people. 

The original post says that there was a look of judgment coming from and elderly couple in a predominantly southern Baptist area.

So: Would combining the Jesus shirt with driving a 75,000 dollar car also give an appearance of evil?

Would wearing the Jesus shirt while weighing 350 pounds also give an appearance of evil?

Maybe, maybe not from an elderly Southern Baptist couple. But from a nonbeliever who sees Christians as hypocrites? Probably. They might see the rich Christian as preacher taking advantage of people. Or the 350 pounder as someone who criticizes a person for drinking beer or not going to church as they are two fisting Double Whoppers and a diet Coke.

The elderly SB couple... who cares what they think. Worry about what the unreached people think because alienating them over something like beer, does more harm than good.

Apparently when wearing a Jesus shirt you are a target from all sides so "...sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and be ready always to give an answer to every man who asketh you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear."

35 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

Greed and the love of money is not associate with evil?  

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Slothfulness and gluttony are not associate with evil?   Are you sure about that?

• Thumbs Up 1