• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0

20 minutes ago, Bawcash said:

The elderly SB couple... who cares what they think. Worry about what the unreached people think because alienating them over something like beer, does more harm than good.

I slightly disagree with this. We are to encourage one another first. I care about what other Christians think about me. Those are the people helping me with my daily walk. Those are the people in the fight with me and every other Christian.

35 minutes ago, RTCarroll said:

Slothfulness and gluttony are not associate with evil?   Are you sure about that?

I should say where I come from,  those are typically not associated with evil to the same degree as alcohol.

If I see a commercial for a Mercedes Benz or a McDonald’s Ad, it doesn’t come with a warning. I believe most alcohol ads now come with a warning to “drink responsibly.”

If 350lb men driving $75,000 cars start meeting in groups all across the country talking about their struggles and how they are harming themselves and others, then I will see your point. If  the news starts to say they are awaiting to hear if food and money were involved in the deadly accident, then I will understand your point.

Of course greed  and gluttony are sins. But I thought this thread was talking about alcohol? alcohol and drugs have a long history and special place in the destruction of families and communities and I wouldn’t be walking around with a “Jesus” t-shirt on carrying  a twelve pack. I’m glad that old couple stared  him down! They should have given  him a good whack over the head.

Edited by ReneeIW
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, RTCarroll said:

Would combining the Jesus shirt with driving a 75,000 dollar car also give an appearance of evil?

Would wearing the Jesus shirt while weighing 350 pounds also give an appearance of evil?

No.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

It has been implied above by a few that the problem was the combination of the shirt and the beer.  That may be true depending on what is meant.  If it is meant that there are some activities intrinsically permissible as men but not as Christians, then it should be said this has no basis in the bible or reason. If drinking alcohol is intrinsically wrong in a Christian shirt, it is intrinsically wrong in any shirt.

Coming from the Chicagoland (home of Two Brothers and Revolution) I do not think consumption is intrinsically wrong.  Those who do seem to be operating on the maxim that whatever can be abused shouldn't be used.  This line of reasoning to me clearly cannot stand: all pleasures can be abused, even marital pleasures.

If, however, the issue is that the combination of the shirt and the beer may have led other Christians into sin (i.e., recovering alcoholic walking by; or, as in this present case, judgmental teetotalers) then perhaps caution in the future is advisable. In 1 Cor. Paul lays down a guideline for the problem of consuming meat: for the sake of "weaker" Christians, strong Christians are to refrain.  Benevolent advice: and in the case of the recovering alcoholic, I think Christians should do whatever is reasonably in their power to shield their struggling Christian. 

But the operative word there is "reasonably": one can see how easily Paul's principle of beneficence can be abused by "holier than thous" whose condemnation of alcohol is based neither on the bible nor reason but on their imbibed (pun intended) cultural heritage.  Even in the case of the recovering alcoholic, who should elicit infinitely more sympathy from us, one can see how his weakness can become manipulative: "It hurts me just knowing that you have beer in your fridge."  To which I would respond, "It makes me uncomfortable just knowing how much thought you give to the contents of my fridge." 

In short, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with consuming alcohol, nor with purchasing it in Christian articles; but lest we tempt recovering alcoholics into relapse or teetotalers into judgmentalism, caution is advised. 

I have a glass of wine occasionally. Maybe two if out socially. I see no problem. Life is to enjoy. Nothing wrong with cards or dancing. 

Moderation is the key. Balance in all things. Don't get drunk or ever harm anyone or yourself. Otherwise enjoy life, good, drink and friends. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

5 minutes ago, Melinda12 said:

I have a glass of wine occasionally. Maybe two if out socially. I see no problem. Life is to enjoy. Nothing wrong with cards or dancing. 

Moderation is the key. Balance in all things. Don't get drunk or ever harm anyone or yourself. Otherwise enjoy life, good, drink and friends. 

I heard about a preacher who sanctimoniously bragged... “ Alcohol has never touched these lips !” Well, whoopee for you! Of course, the hypocrite was later discovered spending time with prostitutes.....These guys are all alike.....they pick out a particular sin that doesn’t tempt them personally , wail away about it and most of the time harbor some secret sin that would shock everybody , if they were aware of it..... 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

6 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

I heard about a preacher who sanctimoniously bragged... “ Alcohol has never touched these lips !” Well, whoopee for you! Of course, the hypocrite was later discovered spending time with prostitutes.....These guys are all alike.....they pick out a particular sin that doesn’t tempt them personally , wail away about it and most of the time harbor some secret sin that would shock everybody , if they were aware of it..... 

It is like the person who scorns the person who smokes cigarettes as they consume a pot of coffee everyday and a six pack of beer. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

3 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

No it would not because neither one of those things has been associated with evil the same way alcohol has. 

Im reading a Christian book right now where the author just talked about how it was typical in his Irish Catholic town to hear men beating their wives after getting drunk. 

Drunkenness is associated with anger, drunk driving deaths, severe addiction, infidelity(it was the alcohol) and so many other harms to other people. 

2 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

I should say where I come from,  those are typically not associated with evil to the same degree as alcohol.

If I see a commercial for a Mercedes Benz or a McDonald’s Ad, it doesn’t come with a warning. I believe most alcohol ads now come with a warning to “drink responsibly.”

If 350lb men driving $75,000 cars start meeting in groups all across the country talking about their struggles and how they are harming themselves and others, then I will see your point. If  the news starts to say they are awaiting to hear if food and money were involved in the deadly accident, then I will understand your point.

Of course greed  and gluttony are sins. But I thought this thread was talking about alcohol? alcohol and drugs have a long history and special place in the destruction of families and communities and I wouldn’t be walking around with a “Jesus” t-shirt on carrying  a twelve pack. I’m glad that old couple stared  him down! They should have given  him a good whack over the head.

1 hour ago, Firm Foundation said:

No.

All of these comments highlight what I see as a problem in the church, we have chosen sins that are worse than other sins.   

Some sins give the appearance of evil while other sins do not.   Is that consistent with God's word?  

Does God think that drinking a beer with dinner is worse than the love of money or gluttony?  I think the answer is no, yet we are happy to create a hierarchy of sins whose appearances are ok and others are not.  This is not what we should be doing.   

Yes, alcohol can causes problems, it can harm your health.  Yet alcohol is no where near the health issues in this country that obesity is.   

How many men have put their jobs before their families and their God because of greed?  I would say far more than have done so because of alcohol. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, RTCarroll said:

All of these comments highlight what I see as a problem in the church, we have chosen sins that are worse than other sins.   

All of the comments are referring to the original poster asking an OPINION about wearing a “Jesus” shirt while carrying beer.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

32 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

All of the comments are referring to the original poster asking an OPINION about wearing a “Jesus” shirt while carrying beer.

Yes, and it was deemed a bad thing to do.  

But wearing a Jesus shirt while weighing 350 pounds is not

Wearing a Jesus shirt while driving a $75,000 car is not.

Why is the sin of alcohol singled out for not being able to wear a Jesus shirt?