• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  0

55 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Now I've heard it all!:24:

I think I should put that slogan on a t shirt "If you love Jesus.... share your beer"  ingenious!

Edited by Tigger56
changed on word
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

4 minutes ago, Tigger56 said:

I think I should be that slogan on a t shirt "If you love Jesus.... share your beer"  ingenious!

What was the warriors Toast before they went into battle ''Fear God and honor the king

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

19 minutes ago, Tigger56 said:

I think I should put that slogan on a t shirt "If you love Jesus.... share your beer"  ingenious!

Somehow, I don't think it would exactly be a best seller at my local bible book store. :whistling:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.71

15 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Somehow, I don't think it would exactly be a best seller at my local bible book store. :whistling:

You're right, but bet it would sell at a gift shop on the beach!  Anyway.... world beware!   I am wearing my "Ya'll Need Jesus" shirt today!

• Haha 1

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Tigger56 said:

In regards to the Jesus shirt being worn while purchasing beer at a grocery store... don't know if the couple was offended but they didn't appear pleased at the sight of me. What of those in this forum, what are your thoughts if you saw a man, with a big smile (that's the way I usually am) come out of a grocery store wearing a Christian shirt what would you think? Would you judge me? Would you condemn me? Would you think anything at all? Would you be glad to see a fellow Christian?  What would be your thoughts if you were in the parking lot and had seen me instead of the older couple?

A few decades ago, I'd have looked down my nose at you and probably either shared a prayer request (e.g. gossiped) at my next prayer meeting about you or used you as an object lesson in a Bible study of how not to be a good witness for Christ.  I came from a family with no alcohol in the house at all so I had little exposure to people who would just have a beer after mowing the lawn without being an alcoholic or getting drunk.  I also tended to view any and all Christian alcohol consumption as being a stumbling block to Christians struggling with alcoholism and hence a sin.   Today, I see the issue much more as being one of moderation and not being enslaved to various substances or behaviors.

I often stand outside the grocery store with our dog meeting people while my wife is shopping. Today, I'd probably smile, comment that I like your shirt, and strike up a friendly conversation while my dog would probably go over and lean on you and expect to be petted.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

1 hour ago, BeauJangles said:

How about this? "Brew for Jesus: A Beer-Based Bible Study" https://www.amazon.com/Brew-Jesus-Beer-Based-Bible-Study/dp/1981292357

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

41 minutes ago, Bawcash said:

How about this? "Brew for Jesus: A Beer-Based Bible Study" https://www.amazon.com/Brew-Jesus-Beer-Based-Bible-Study/dp/1981292357

Okay, now I've seen it all! :red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  354
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  964
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:52 AM, Tigger56 said:

A couple of days ago I was coming out of an Ingles grocery store. I will often wear Christian theme hats or T-shirts. That particular day I was wearing a shirt that declared on the front, "Ya'll Need Jesus".  I wasn't really thinking about the fact that the shirt along with a pack of beer might be offensive to someone, but I had gone into the store to pick up a 12 pack of beer. When leaving the store an elderly man and woman was getting out of their car and the look of judgement was all over the man's face as he saw my shirt and what I was carrying in my hand. I didn't have the beer hidden in a grocery bag as it was the only item I had picked up. I saw him whisper to his wife and both just stared at me as I walked to my pick-up truck. I am in the section of country known as "the Bible belt". I believe it was also on Sunday that I made my purchase. Up until just a few years ago, we also had "blue laws" which prohibited the buying and selling of any alcohol on Sundays. I even grew up in a "dry county" that prohibited the sale of any alcohol. 

It wasn't my intention to shock the elderly couple and I realize that many in my area are good southern Baptists and they condemn the use of any alcohol and truly believe that Jesus drank only grape juice and never wine even at the last supper. Many grew up thinking that all alcohol was evil and was condemned along with dancing and card playing. (I also like to dance and play cards).  I don't make it a habit to offend others and am sorry that they appeared to be offended by me. But I also have no problem with alcohol as long as it isn't drank in excess. I enjoy a cold beer in a frosted mug or straight out a bottle or can. It was made to go with pizza! I also enjoy a good glass of wine and sometimes even a mixed drink.

I am curious of the background of others in the forum. What were you taught? And what are your beliefs about alcoholic beverages? 

Hello

Many make behaviors sinful that are not found in scripture. If one thinks something is a sin for him it is (Romans 14:14) but should not be imposed on others. We should be sensitive to their consciences (Romans 14:15).

I do not see where wine (in all cases) could be grape juice according to Genesis 9:21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent. Noah got drunk on wine.

Wine was given to make us glad Psalm 104:15

Drunkenness is another matter (Ephesians 5:18)

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Days Won:  2

22 hours ago, RTCarroll said:

All of these comments highlight what I see as a problem in the church, we have chosen sins that are worse than other sins.   

Some sins give the appearance of evil while other sins do not.   Is that consistent with God's word?  

Does God think that drinking a beer with dinner is worse than the love of money or gluttony?  I think the answer is no, yet we are happy to create a hierarchy of sins whose appearances are ok and others are not.  This is not what we should be doing.   

Yes, alcohol can causes problems, it can harm your health.  Yet alcohol is no where near the health issues in this country that obesity is.   

How many men have put their jobs before their families and their God because of greed?  I would say far more than have done so because of alcohol. 

I don't believe that being overweight proves gluttony or owning an expensive car proves one is a lover of money.  When I see people make such criticisms, I see them as envious and judgemental.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

I've read many of the posts here with many different opinions, so I'll add mine.

God tells us we can eat or drink anything, but there are warnings all through the bible about how much to consume and causing a brother(or sister) to stumble.

Always being aware of your actions and thinking of others, as well as remembering we are not "of the world but in the world" helps us to adjust how we practice our daily lives keeping our eyes on "eternity" and to bring glory to God in our choices. Learning to sacrifice some things can help us be an example to others and let us be a witness or "to witness".

I'm not an alcohol drinker, but I do  love cookies and ice cream, but don't eat them as it's easy for me to pack on the pounds and become guilty of being "Glutonous" - eating more than I need to, and violating God's word. We are not even to hang with people who are glotonous or it will bring shame to our fathers.

I have a son who eats too much and drinks way to much and I try to be a loving example of how we should live and I don't say a word in judgement. My example say's all I need to, and he periodically mentions how he needs to eat and drink less and should exercise - I go to the gym too.

I don't believe any of this is a matter of being legalistic or following rules as much as it is about loving and thinking of others and thinking about pleasing God for all He has done for us. To me it's more a matter of the heart and your spirit, than just following the letter of the law.

Keep God's word buried in your heart and let the Holy Spirit speak to you through your conscience as well as through God's word.

Don't let the worlds opinion of their "RIGHTS" for their choices and don't care what others think, cause you to stumble.

It's not just that God is watching, but he knows our heart, and being in harmony with God brings tremendous peace.

In great love and a desire for you peace, Dave

Edited by Seasoned by Grace
  • Thumbs Up 1