• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

42 minutes ago, Firm Foundation said:

I don't believe that being overweight proves gluttony or owning an expensive car proves one is a lover of money.  When I see people make such criticisms, I see them as envious and judgemental.

I think people need to mind their own business. That is a problem with humans today. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Days Won:  2

32 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I think people need to mind their own business. That is a problem with humans today. 

I think you are right.  I only gave an opinion about alcohol and how it is viewed because we were asked.  It is not a sin issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

34 minutes ago, Firm Foundation said:

It is not a sin issue.

Nope... Unless taken in excess, and it appears the majority on this thread agree with this. Myself included, although I don't partake. As stated previously, my next glass of wine shall be thoroughly enjoyed at The Marriage Supper of the Lamb... And I'm very much looking forward to it. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Firm Foundation said:

I don't believe that being overweight proves gluttony or owning an expensive car proves one is a lover of money.  When I see people make such criticisms, I see them as envious and judgemental.

It is not about proving gluttony nor being a lover of money ,it is about giving that appearance. 

We have been told over and over again that even holding a beer can give the appearance of evil...if that is true why is it not true for being overweight or owning an expensive car?

Why is it ok to tell people they should not drink because of the appearance of evil but wrong to tell someone not to be fat to avoid the appearance of evil?  Why is the former accepted and encouraged and the latter not acceptable? 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

You did not seem to have an issue with people saying that others should not drink due to giving the appearance of evil.

• Loved it! 1

1 hour ago, RTCarroll said:

It is not about proving gluttony nor being a lover of money ,it is about giving that appearance. 

We have been told over and over again that even holding a beer can give the appearance of evil...if that is true why is it not true for being overweight or owning an expensive car?

Why is it ok to tell people they should not drink because of the appearance of evil but wrong to tell someone not to be fat to avoid the appearance of evil?  Why is the former accepted and encouraged and the latter not acceptable? 

Alcohol is considered sin by a lot of people.  Only highly judgmental and envious people see sin in an expensive car or being overweight.  Besides that, an overweight person driving a Rolls Royce wearing a Jesus shirt wasn't asking the question.

17 minutes ago, Firm Foundation said:

Alcohol is considered sin by a lot of people.  Only highly judgmental and envious people see sin in an expensive car or being overweight.  

But alcohol is not a sin, Jesus' first miracle was to create alcohol.   It seems to be it is very highly judgmental to consider something a sin that God does not consider a sin.

The bible tells us that gluttony is a sin, one of "7 deadly" ones at that.  

Greed is also a sin, in fact the love of money is the root of all evil. 

Yet we never worry about appearing to have those sins...why is that?

This goes back to my first point in this thread, too many people in churches today have a hierarchy of sins, some are ok and some are unforgivable. 

Is this what God calls us to do?  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,411
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

Ah yes, Alcohol, one of satan's deadly devices to draw him to his den.  There is a saying I read somewhere that says you can cut a tree down in many ways.  One with a chain saw, the other with an Axe and then you can dig around the root of the tree slowly, eventually it would just need a push for it to fall. Satan is in no hurry, he perseveres in his mischief's and those who think they can win with alcohol limitations are playing Russian roulette.   Ask those many here who have been in the dungeons with the  addiction and are now free.

Then again, I know some who would only puff a cigarette once in a while or only when having drinks. Those are the very select few.  Each to his own, but only to warn that the bottle has led many to a dismal life which they could not let go because of it's stronghold.  Eighteen years  since I have not touch the poison, and so glad I did. Don't miss it one iota too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, RTCarroll said:

But alcohol is not a sin, Jesus' first miracle was to create alcohol.   It seems to be it is very highly judgmental to consider something a sin that God does not consider a sin.

The bible tells us that gluttony is a sin, one of "7 deadly" ones at that.  

Greed is also a sin, in fact the love of money is the root of all evil. 

Yet we never worry about appearing to have those sins...why is that?

This goes back to my first point in this thread, too many people in churches today have a hierarchy of sins, some are ok and some are unforgivable. 

Is this what God calls us to do?  

First of all, the RCC made up the 7 deadly sins.  Secondly, most people that are fat have issues like with their thyroid.  Having an expensive car doesn't make you greedy.  I am not buying into any of this.

Some are fat because they are poor and the food they eat is full of fat.  Gluttony is eccess, not poor diet.