• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

2 minutes ago, Firm Foundation said:

First of all, the RCC made up the 7 deadly sins.  Secondly, most people that are fat have issues like with their thyroid.  Having an expensive car doesn't make you greedy.  I am not buying into any of this.

Finally, somebody sees this as an attempt to derail the thread. In other words = :off-topic:

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

37 minutes ago, Firm Foundation said:

First of all, the RCC made up the 7 deadly sins.  Secondly, most people that are fat have issues like with their thyroid.  Having an expensive car doesn't make you greedy.  I am not buying into any of this.

True, but it made the point.

Second, that is baloney.  Less than 10% of the people in this country have a thyroid issue.  Most fat people are fat because they eat too much and exercise too little. 

Having an expensive car does not make you greedy, nor does having a beer make you a sinner, yet we are up to 16 pages of people that have no problem judging people for having alcohol. 

My whole point is that drinking a beer is no more a sin than being fat or having a nice car.  Yet we do not treat them equally, and that is based upon man's biases...not God's word

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

26 minutes ago, RTCarroll said:

True, but it made the point.

Second, that is baloney.  Less than 10% of the people in this country have a thyroid issue.  Most fat people are fat because they eat too much and exercise too little. 

Having an expensive car does not make you greedy, nor does having a beer make you a sinner, yet we are up to 16 pages of people that have no problem judging people for having alcohol. 

My whole point is that drinking a beer is no more a sin than being fat or having a nice car.  Yet we do not treat them equally, and that is based upon man's biases...not God's word

The reason people wear a Jesus shirt is to be a witness.  Do it while buying beer, you defeat the purpose.  If you don't care about that, neither do I, but I don't find your arguments persuasive at all.

• Brilliant! 1

6 minutes ago, Firm Foundation said:

The reason people wear a Jesus shirt is to be a witness.  Do it while buying beer, you defeat the purpose.  If you don't care about that, neither do I, but I don't find your arguments persuasive at all.

Of course you do not, because you base your view of alcohol on your own opinions and not the word of God.   I say wearing it while fat defeats the purpose just as much.  

My argument is that people have pet sins that they care about more than other sins, and with each post you prove my argument correct. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, RTCarroll said:

Of course you do not, because you base your view of alcohol on your own opinions and not the word of God.   I say wearing it while fat defeats the purpose just as much.  

My argument is that people have pet sins that they care about more than other sins, and with each post you prove my argument correct. 

Fine.  I think by now everyone knows where each of us stand.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

On 8/8/2019 at 11:36 PM, GandalfTheWise said:

A few decades ago, I'd have looked down my nose at you and probably either shared a prayer request (e.g. gossiped) at my next prayer meeting about you or used you as an object lesson in a Bible study of how not to be a good witness for Christ.  I came from a family with no alcohol in the house at all so I had little exposure to people who would just have a beer after mowing the lawn without being an alcoholic or getting drunk.  I also tended to view any and all Christian alcohol consumption as being a stumbling block to Christians struggling with alcoholism and hence a sin.   Today, I see the issue much more as being one of moderation and not being enslaved to various substances or behaviors.

I often stand outside the grocery store with our dog meeting people while my wife is shopping. Today, I'd probably smile, comment that I like your shirt, and strike up a friendly conversation while my dog would probably go over and lean on you and expect to be petted.

I love to here peoples views when they find some understandings,

5 hours ago, maryjayne said:

Many people are fat due to insulin resistance.

And that insulin resistance is due to lifestyle and food choices.   Most  insulin resistance is the result of excess body weight, too much belly fat, a lack of exercise, smoking, and poor sleeping habits.  

19 hours ago, maryjayne said:

I think you need to educate yourself on this. Insulin resistance is the first symptom of type 2 diabetes, and the belly fat is a visible indicator of this. Now please stop blaming people for what they cant help. 

Yes, it is the first symptom of type 2 diabetes, and type 2 diabetes is a lifestyle disease. 

Unlike Type 1 diabetes which is an autoimmune disease, Type 2 is almost always the result of lifestyle choices.   Too many calories and not enough exercise.    Type 2 does not make people fat, being fat causes Type 2.

Belly fat is not the indicator, it is part of the cause. 

Stop giving people a free pass for their poor lifestyle choices. 

https://www.verywellhealth.com/top-risk-factors-for-type-2-diabetes-1087693

2 hours ago, maryjayne said:

Type 2 diabetes only occurs in those with the gene to trigger it. Otherwise everyone overweight would have it. And your argument does not explain the 20% or more thin type 2 diabetics.

You appear to have missed the research in the last few years refuting your stance and showing that type 2 diabetes is an inability to process carbs properly, leading to weight gain and great difficulty in losing the weight put on.

They would not trigger the gene if they had a healthy lifestyle.   

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5792082/

1. Modifiable factors

Persons diagnosed with diabetes are behaviors that persons can change in order to manage their diabetes and to lower blood glucose levels, such as altering diet, increasing exercise, and eliminating unhealthy lifestyle activities (e.g., smoking, excessive alcohol, insufficient sleep) [2]. Modifiable factors in persons who are pre-diabetic, regardless of their age, are a diet high in fat and low in fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Foods containing low levels of sugar may also prevent and/or delays diabetes onset. In addition, the maintenance of normal cholesterol and blood pressure levels may also reduce pre-diabetes symptoms and diabetes onset.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I'm a Southern Baptist, and I drink ( bourbon, no beer ) alcohol is ok in moderation. It's excess the good book speaks of.