• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, maryjayne said:

I agree, but by the time it is diagnosed a lot of damage to ones insulin response has been done, and the weight has been put on and is very difficult to shift, especially in insulin users (many type 2 diabetics are or become insulin users). Blaming the overweight people for this is not fair.

Yet it seems 'fair' to see someone with a 6-pack and see the appearance of evil...it is 'fair' to see a man with a woman not his wife and assume the worst.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

It is my opinion that while the Bible doesn't teach abstinence, this particular incident brings up another point. That being the idea of not doing anything that would negatively affect your testimony to those who are lost. So, since drinking could negatively affect your testimony with certain people, isn't it more prudent to eschew something that "you enjoy" in favor of having one less thing that folks can use to dismiss your efforts at sharing the Gospel. Another way to look at the issue is that each six pack you purchase could buy a meal for 5-10 hungry people. In 2016, US alcohol sales were in the range of 25 billion dollars. About 75% of Americans identify as Christian. Using these simple numbers, if you then conclude that 75% of the alcohol sales are to Christians that's over 18 billion dollars a year. Now, lets assume that Christians drink less that the average population and only half of the sales are to Christians. That's only 12.5 billion, but think of the difference in peoples lives if there were an extra 12 billion dollars per year going to the less fortunate (as Christ directed us). 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

The problem with alcohol is that the body builds up a tolerance. You then need more in order to get the same effect. That is why a person ends up drinking more than one drink a day. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

48 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

The problem with alcohol is that the body builds up a tolerance. You then need more in order to get the same effect. That is why a person ends up drinking more than one drink a day. 

The Bible gives more problems than that,  even for one drink.   I don't have the 'list' with me currently,  but it is available online easily.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

On 8/5/2019 at 5:52 AM, Tigger56 said:

What were you taught?

From Scripture,  I learned that true followers of Jesus will not cause another believer to trip, or sin, in any way within their power to change.

Paul said he would (or did) give up ALL meat (not just the forbidden pork),

in order not to "destroy" another man's soul by causing him to stumble......    (I forget the location/ reference/ exact words, but this is close)....

No,   

Jesus and the APostles NEVER said those weak in faith, or little children,  or seekers,

should be stronger instead of stumbling.  

They always said the true (stronger) believers should STOP the offending behavior for the sake of the weaker one(s).

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.72

49 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

From Scripture,  I learned that true followers of Jesus will not cause another believer to trip, or sin, in any way within their power to change.

in order not to "destroy" another man's soul by causing him to stumble......    (I forget the location/ reference/ exact words, but this is close)....

No,   

Jesus and the APostles NEVER said those weak in faith, or little children,  or seekers,

They always said the true (stronger) believers should STOP the offending behavior for the sake of the weaker one(s).

I agree you should never "intentionally" cause someone to stumble. But you can't walk around on eggshells either. Who are believers, who are not? sometimes difficult to know since we don't wear name badges declaring it. Also what offends one will not offend another. also people get offended by many, many different things. You walk in love, you walk in truth and do the best you can. Because some believe a devil jumps out of anything of alcohol is a case in point. I won't drink it in front of them if it offends. But purchasing it from a grocery store.... if that offends then all I know is to tell people they may want to order online and get their groceries delivered because they sell things like tobacco (gasp!) and alcohol (double gasp!) at grocery stores and convenience stores. 

3 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Unless you are drinking it because you really like the taste of a good craft beer and not for any "effect". 

2 hours ago, simplejeff said:

No,   

Yet nobody will tell the Christian driving a $75,000 car they should sell it because it caused a weaker brother with envy problems to stumble. 

Yet nobody will tell the three hundred pound pastor they should lose weight because it caused a weaker brother with gluttony problems to stumble. 

Has anyone ever known a Christian to not eat meat because they were causing a vegan to stumble?

Edited by RTCarroll

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

32 minutes ago, RTCarroll said:

Unless you are drinking it because you really like the taste of a good craft beer and not for any "effect". 

That is possible but somewhat unlikely. 

11 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

That is possible but somewhat unlikely. 

It is not only likely, it is reality.   I do not know anyone that drinks to get drunk or buzzed of what have you.  They all do so for the same reason people drink Ice tea or whatever it might be.  You should not judge people on things you know so little about.