Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tigger56

The enjoyment of alcohol...

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, maryjayne said:

Type 2 diabetes only occurs in those with the gene to trigger it. Otherwise everyone overweight would have it. And your argument does not explain the 20% or more thin type 2 diabetics.

You appear to have missed the research in the last few years refuting your stance and showing that type 2 diabetes is an inability to process carbs properly, leading to weight gain and great difficulty in losing the weight put on.

 

They would not trigger the gene if they had a healthy lifestyle.   

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5792082/

1. Modifiable factors

Persons diagnosed with diabetes are behaviors that persons can change in order to manage their diabetes and to lower blood glucose levels, such as altering diet, increasing exercise, and eliminating unhealthy lifestyle activities (e.g., smoking, excessive alcohol, insufficient sleep) [2]. Modifiable factors in persons who are pre-diabetic, regardless of their age, are a diet high in fat and low in fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Foods containing low levels of sugar may also prevent and/or delays diabetes onset. In addition, the maintenance of normal cholesterol and blood pressure levels may also reduce pre-diabetes symptoms and diabetes onset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RTCarroll said:

 

They would not trigger the gene if they had a healthy lifestyle.   

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5792082/

1. Modifiable factors

Persons diagnosed with diabetes are behaviors that persons can change in order to manage their diabetes and to lower blood glucose levels, such as altering diet, increasing exercise, and eliminating unhealthy lifestyle activities (e.g., smoking, excessive alcohol, insufficient sleep) [2]. Modifiable factors in persons who are pre-diabetic, regardless of their age, are a diet high in fat and low in fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Foods containing low levels of sugar may also prevent and/or delays diabetes onset. In addition, the maintenance of normal cholesterol and blood pressure levels may also reduce pre-diabetes symptoms and diabetes onset.

I agree, but by the time it is diagnosed a lot of damage to ones insulin response has been done, and the weight has been put on and is very difficult to shift, especially in insulin users (many type 2 diabetics are or become insulin users). Blaming the overweight people for this is not fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a Southern Baptist, and I drink ( bourbon, no beer ) alcohol is ok in moderation. It's excess the good book speaks of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maryjayne said:

I agree, but by the time it is diagnosed a lot of damage to ones insulin response has been done, and the weight has been put on and is very difficult to shift, especially in insulin users (many type 2 diabetics are or become insulin users). Blaming the overweight people for this is not fair.

 

Yet it seems 'fair' to see someone with a 6-pack and see the appearance of evil...it is 'fair' to see a man with a woman not his wife and assume the worst.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is my opinion that while the Bible doesn't teach abstinence, this particular incident brings up another point. That being the idea of not doing anything that would negatively affect your testimony to those who are lost. So, since drinking could negatively affect your testimony with certain people, isn't it more prudent to eschew something that "you enjoy" in favor of having one less thing that folks can use to dismiss your efforts at sharing the Gospel. Another way to look at the issue is that each six pack you purchase could buy a meal for 5-10 hungry people. In 2016, US alcohol sales were in the range of 25 billion dollars. About 75% of Americans identify as Christian. Using these simple numbers, if you then conclude that 75% of the alcohol sales are to Christians that's over 18 billion dollars a year. Now, lets assume that Christians drink less that the average population and only half of the sales are to Christians. That's only 12.5 billion, but think of the difference in peoples lives if there were an extra 12 billion dollars per year going to the less fortunate (as Christ directed us). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with alcohol is that the body builds up a tolerance. You then need more in order to get the same effect. That is why a person ends up drinking more than one drink a day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

The problem with alcohol is that the body builds up a tolerance. You then need more in order to get the same effect. That is why a person ends up drinking more than one drink a day. 

The Bible gives more problems than that,  even for one drink.   I don't have the 'list' with me currently,  but it is available online easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 5:52 AM, Tigger56 said:

What were you taught?

From Scripture,  I learned that true followers of Jesus will not cause another believer to trip, or sin, in any way within their power to change.

Paul said he would (or did) give up ALL meat (not just the forbidden pork),

 

in order not to "destroy" another man's soul by causing him to stumble......    (I forget the location/ reference/ exact words, but this is close)....

No,   

Jesus and the APostles NEVER said those weak in faith, or little children,  or seekers,

should be stronger instead of stumbling.  

They always said the true (stronger) believers should STOP the offending behavior for the sake of the weaker one(s).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

From Scripture,  I learned that true followers of Jesus will not cause another believer to trip, or sin, in any way within their power to change.

Paul said he would (or did) give up ALL meat (not just the forbidden pork),

 

in order not to "destroy" another man's soul by causing him to stumble......    (I forget the location/ reference/ exact words, but this is close)....

No,   

Jesus and the APostles NEVER said those weak in faith, or little children,  or seekers,

should be stronger instead of stumbling.  

They always said the true (stronger) believers should STOP the offending behavior for the sake of the weaker one(s).

I agree you should never "intentionally" cause someone to stumble. But you can't walk around on eggshells either. Who are believers, who are not? sometimes difficult to know since we don't wear name badges declaring it. Also what offends one will not offend another. also people get offended by many, many different things. You walk in love, you walk in truth and do the best you can. Because some believe a devil jumps out of anything of alcohol is a case in point. I won't drink it in front of them if it offends. But purchasing it from a grocery store.... if that offends then all I know is to tell people they may want to order online and get their groceries delivered because they sell things like tobacco (gasp!) and alcohol (double gasp!) at grocery stores and convenience stores. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, missmuffet said:

The problem with alcohol is that the body builds up a tolerance. You then need more in order to get the same effect. That is why a person ends up drinking more than one drink a day. 

Unless you are drinking it because you really like the taste of a good craft beer and not for any "effect". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...