IGNORED

Should Christian keep the Sabbath? And what day we should keep the Sabbath?

chargedbyfa1th

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,221
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  3

One day of the week belongs to the LORD. 

However whether its Saturday or Sunday, it matters not.  Romans 14:5 - we are not to judge one another as to which day a brother keeps a Holy unto the Lord.

https://worshipwarriorsministry.com.au/

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 8/5/2019 at 10:13 AM, chargedbyfa1th said:

Shalom...

Should we Christians keep the Sabbath? And what day we should keep the Sabbath? I'm still confused..

If you also have the Bible verse references please quote them.. :)

thank you..

Jesus bless you..

People get into huge arguments over this. You might remember the Lord rested on the seventh day after creating the world, and commanded us to rest one day a week. We need a day of rest each week.

Opinion differs on how to go about doing that. Some believe that it has to be done Saturday. Some believe it has to be done Sunday. I believe neither. I just believe we need a day of rest each week, or the equivalent (such as two half days).

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

3 hours ago, Ledster said:

Hey changedbyfaith hope this finds you well.  I was concerned about this and prayed one day about it. He put it in my heart that you should honor  (read his word) and glorifing him, as well as praise God on this day. sing praise, thank him for his creation.  The seventh day is Saturday.  I realize the bible  gives us very limited information about this in the commandments.   Hebrews 4 is the whole chapter about this and after I asked he led me there and told me to read it.  I see out in the world  many assume these days that you do not have to do all the commandments with the new covenant mentioned in Hebrews. So a lot of people think you don't have to do the sabbath that it was abolished.  I think  also that's what confuses a lot of people these days in which they believe you only follow two commandments in the new testament. The commandments are all through the new testamentin scripture so yeah  we still do all the commandments as well as the sabbath. 

If we follow the two love commandments, loving God and loving our brothers, which  is  only possible by the power of the indwelling Spirit.  We are still required to keep the Sabbath rest of God but the simple fact, so easily overlooked is that in Him, by the power of the Spirit keeping the Sabbath is no longer required just on the  seventh day of the week

It is now expected to be observed as a Spirit led LIFESTYLE, EVERY day of the week.   Continuously turning away from doing our  own works, or speaking our  own words (RESTING from any customary work at all) in favor of doing ONLY what He  wants to do and speaking ONLY what He  wants said.

This is the "lifestyle" Jesus modeled for us even before He went to the cross.  He repeatedly informed us He did nothing He  did not first see Father doing and He said nothing He did not first hear Father say.  He did not  "do" His own will at any time but only what the Father gave Him to do (or say).

Whoever speaks, is to do so as one who is speaking the utterances of God; whoever serves is to do so as one who is serving by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

There ARE no 'good' works except those which He does, through us.  While we are resting in His finished work....having ceased from doing  our own works altogether. 

What was commanded before as a physical observance with  rules and regulations no man could keep perfectly, was nothing more than a shadow of the Spirit powered lifestyle enabled by His sacrifice which enables us to fulfill the Law no flesh could keep....by satisfying an even HIGHER standard than the Law required.   Seven days a week...not just one.  By resting EVERY day in His finished work while He works through us. 

Every  one of  the Laws has been fulfilled in Him the exact same way, with striving to meet the conditions of rules imposed on flesh replaced by a living, moment by moment relationship, submitted and obedient to Him, in which He will never tell us to do anything that violates ANY law, including the Sabbath.   Seven days a week.  

Edited by Jostler
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

19 hours ago, Worship Warriors said:

One day of the week belongs to the LORD. 

However whether its Saturday or Sunday, it matters not.  Romans 14:5 - we are not to judge one another as to which day a brother keeps a Holy unto the Lord.

https://worshipwarriorsministry.com.au/

Try not to quote scripture out of context. This has NOTHING to do with the SABBATH of the Lord.

Understand scripture in the meaning and time it was written firstly, then put your church spin on it...

We are so western in our approach and it is a major mistake to superimpose our current dogmas on the times of the disciples. Understand words, hyperbole and meanings in correct context. If we see all scripture thru the eyes of 21 st century philosophy and understanding we will get loads of different views (denominations) and many, many irrational interpretations.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,935
  • Content Per Day:  3.07
  • Days Won:  1

Colossians 2: 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

I've seen this as two issues for quite a while. The first is this: What does it mean to "keep the sabbath holy"

The second is this: Are Christians to separate (Make holy) one day every week as the Sabbath. 

To the second one I say this - Jesus is our sabbath. Also, others here have pointed out scripture regarding keeping one day over others.

Regarding the first one - Going to church and keeping a day as "sabbath" are two different things. Theoretically, a group could found a church that "keeps Saturday separate and does no work on that day", and yet goes to Church on Sunday.

For me, the whole thing is an exercise in getting into the weeds about stuff that was fairly well clarified in the new testament. It's a Jewish thing. It's a pre-Christian-age thing.  But that is just me.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, R. Hartono said:

Colossians 2: 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

This verse is in reference to abstaining from eating and drinking on certain days, feasts, new moons and sabbaths, as was the practice of some at that time.   Paul is said "let no man" judge you on such matters.  The emergence of the church, and it's integration with the Jews, brought a lot of conflict over Jewish ceremonial and traditional laws, such as who was doing sabbath "correctly" and who was eating or fasting when they "should" etc.

If Yahweh was going to annul the Sabbath, I'm sure He would have had the Messiah tell us and the apostles talk about it clearly. But let no man think that the great commandment of Yahweh (which began before Israel existed) was annulled by Paul in a short sentence, in a little letter to the church at Colossae! That's madness.

The Sabbath command runs throughout the Bible, starting in Genesis 2:3 "God blessed the seventh day and declared it holy, for on it he rested from all his work of creation"....  Until Paul came along in the first century and casually revealed to Colossae that it's not worth bothering with? I guess the Messiah forgot to give us the heads up as well?  Oye... 

"....our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction." ~ 2 Peter 3:15-16

I'm not having a go at you personally R.Hartono.  We are ALL victims of misleading teachings and traditions in this day an age.  I was convinced the Sabbath wasn't important for a long time until I read the Bible cover-to-cover, at face value, and ignored traditional interpretation.  Then the truth was very clear and there were no "tricky passages" in the Bible to contend with.   

Traditions..pfft!  The very same issue Paul was battling against in his day when writing to Colossae.  Why do we let men interpret Scripture for us?  Why do we follow the masses, as if there is safety and wisdom there?

Again, nothing personal R.Hartono.  I hope you see I'm venting against traditions, man-made doctrines and misleading teachings, not you my friend.

Love & Shalom

Edited by Tzephanyahu
  • Loved it! 1

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

55 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Traditions..pfft!  The very same issue Paul was battling against in his day when writing to Colossae.  Why do we let men interpret Scripture for us?  Why do we follow the masses, as if there is safety and wisdom there?

Good post.

My take: if everyone is doing it - TAKE A VERY CLOSE LOOK.

The nonsense that we all grew up with via a poorly reformed RCC and pagan system is to be questioned along with the rapture views, the 'har ma geddon' views and most everything said that supports IGNORING the Sabbath of the Lord.

(Ishtar, X-mass, queen of heaven (Semiramis) Nimrod and Tammuz with his pig feasts - all was antisemitic and anti-Christ coupled with OFFICIAL banning of sabbath observance and the imposition of SUN-day)

A plethora of end times publications adds to the mix and make money for the purveyors. Sadly, there is NO easy way out of the TRUTH and one has to wear blinkers not to see it.

Deliberate error has been foisted upon all Christians. Take a look at the Scofield bible and see for yourself. Millions of copies were sent to seminaries and it is not surprising at its effects.

Scholarship is frowned upon - OH DEAR, to know more than the pastor is like heresy. Pastors just attend their denominations' cookie-cutter classes, so it is not surprising that we are told to check our brain in at the church door. Anyone that has an original thought... please stay away!

Talk about swallowing camels... And by the way, Yeshua gave Moses the TEN, written by His own finger -twice!

On the Mount of Transfiguration they had a conversation. Probably went like this: 
"Hi Lord, how's it going?"
"Oh, you will not believe the excuses they have come up with to abandon My Sabbath". 
"Really! You reminded them so many times, I can't believe they just forgot"
"Ha Ha! That's really funny. No! They did not forget." "The are just a stiff-necked bunch brother Mo."

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,098
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 8/5/2019 at 12:13 PM, chargedbyfa1th said:

Shalom...

Should we Christians keep the Sabbath? And what day we should keep the Sabbath? I'm still confused..

If you also have the Bible verse references please quote them.. :)

thank you..

Jesus bless you..

Before Jesus died and rose and ascended back into heaven, humans did not have access to the Holy Spirit as born again believers do today....    The Sabbath was set for mankind to take a day and just focus on God and do no work....                  Now that we have the Holy Spirit that lives within us we really don't need the Sabbath spiritually for we are basically living the Sabbath every hour of every day.     We are told not to forsake meeting,  but not commanded any particular day....   In the first century they met on the first day of the week.....   but that is not the Sabbath...      The 4th commandment put some serious restrictions on that day and Jesus did not completely follow those restrictions....   He himself did work on the Sabbath and confessed that he was doing so.....   Actually he said the Father was working also.

Jesus made a new covenant with us while he was here and it has a different set of instructions on how to live..   His commandments encompass our spiritual lives which the first covenant did not do...    one can actually live and not break any of the ten commandments and still not be allowed to enter the kingdom of God when it's all over.  Matthew chapter 25 discusses that in the latter part of the chapter.

So to answer your question in my personal paraphrasing, one does not "Keep" the Sabbath now, one "Lives" the Sabbath as a complete life style every day.  But we still meet with our brothers and sisters on a regular basis to worship and pray and lift each other up....

Paul taught that all the holidays and sabbaths were ok to keep if one wanted to but they are not mandatory...   People like the Seventh day Adventists still in some fashion try to keep the Sabbath on Saturday and it is perfectly good to do so, but it is not mandatory to do so and it is not OK to tell others that they must.

Actually according to the giving of the laws in the old testament, kindling a fire was not allowed on the Sabbath, but we do just that every time we start our cars....   and that was punishable by death in the days of Moses. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Exodus 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.

Exodus 31:14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

Exodus 31:17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

We are told to keep the sabbath "for ever", as it says in verse 17.  The sabbath "is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you".  It is a sign of the Convent between the Father and his people, and there is a punishment for defiling it.

Romans 9:4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;

Romans 9:6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:

Romans 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

Some may say that Exodus is only speaking of the Jews, but for those that have studied the Word of God, they know that "Israel" was never just a flesh bloodline or religion.  Israel stands for the chosen of God, as Paul talks about the spiritual "adoption", all the chosen of God are the "children of the promise" of salvation.  So the Sabbath stands for spiritual Israel now, just as it did for flesh Israel in the Old Testament.

Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Colossians 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

I saw one reply to the post about Colossians, but it was taken out of context.  The "meat...drink...holyday...new moon...sabbath" all had ceremonies and Temple sacrifices according to the "ordinances" of the Old Testament, but there is a different in the Law of God between ordinances and Commandments.  You can touch a dead body without needing to purify yourself, but you still can not murder or commit adultery.  Sabbath is a Commandment given by God himself to his chosen people, they way we practice and keep the sabbath is different now but still a Commandment.  As Jesus said "Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

• Thumbs Up 1