IGNORED

Should Christian keep the Sabbath? And what day we should keep the Sabbath?

chargedbyfa1th

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

8 minutes ago, other one said:

Before Jesus died and rose and ascended back into heaven, humans did not have access to the Holy Spirit as born again believers do today....    The Sabbath was set for mankind to take a day and just focus on God and do no work....                  Now that we have the Holy Spirit that lives within us we really don't need the Sabbath spiritually for we are basically living the Sabbath every hour of every day.     We are told not to forsake meeting,  but not commanded any particular day....   In the first century they met on the first day of the week.....   but that is not the Sabbath...      The 4th commandment put some serious restrictions on that day and Jesus did not completely follow those restrictions....   He himself did work on the Sabbath and confessed that he was doing so.....   Actually he said the Father was working also.

Jesus made a new covenant with us while he was here and it has a different set of instructions on how to live..   His commandments encompass our spiritual lives which the first covenant did not do...    one can actually live and not break any of the ten commandments and still not be allowed to enter the kingdom of God when it's all over.  Matthew chapter 25 discusses that in the latter part of the chapter.

So to answer your question in my personal paraphrasing, one does not "Keep" the Sabbath now, one "Lives" the Sabbath as a complete life style every day.  But we still meet with our brothers and sisters on a regular basis to worship and pray and lift each other up....

Paul taught that all the holidays and sabbaths were ok to keep if one wanted to but they are not mandatory...   People like the Seventh day Adventists still in some fashion try to keep the Sabbath on Saturday and it is perfectly good to do so, but it is not mandatory to do so and it is not OK to tell others that they must.

Actually according to the giving of the laws in the old testament, kindling a fire was not allowed on the Sabbath, but we do just that every time we start our cars....   and that was punishable by death in the days of Moses. 

So you are suggesting Christians are not suppose to follow the Ten Commandments?  That we should murder people, take the Lord's name in vain, worship idols?  Since we are cherry picking what laws we have to follow, it would be nice if there was a list of laws we can break now that we have the "free pass" of grace that gives us a liberty and license to willfully sin...of course I am being sarcastic, it is completely absurd to think someone can call themselves a Christian, but at the same time murder and cheat on their spouse.

Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

15 minutes ago, Mal'ak said:

So you are suggesting Christians are not suppose to follow the Ten Commandments?  That we should murder people, take the Lord's name in vain, worship idols?  Since we are cherry picking what laws we have to follow, it would be nice if there was a list of laws we can break now that we have the "free pass" of grace that gives us a liberty and license to willfully sin...of course I am being sarcastic, it is completely absurd to think someone can call themselves a Christian, but at the same time murder and cheat on their spouse.

Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Actually yes I am saying we should not follow the Ten Commandments for they will give you a false sense of security and you might go to hell keeping them.

Jesus gave us two major commandments to follow instead of them...…    Love God with all your heart mind and soul, and second love your neighbor as yourself.

So tell me if you love your neighbor will you kill him...   if you love God will you misuse his name or worship idols.

See how your thinking of having a free pass of what laws to break is the problem...…     Jesus spiritualized the old commandments and with his two me made it mandatory  not to even want to break those.....    and the fourth he made a complete way of life and not a single day....    You can worship God any time anywhere all day long doing whatever you are endeavoring to do.   For 38 years he went with me to work for Xerox and we conversed all day long while I worked of office equipment.....   when I was stumped over some intermittent problem he would even show me what was wrong with it and on many occasions he just fixed the thing himself without my help....

When one tells everyone that Jesus is his/her Lord, we are committed to living a life that he has instructed.....    Loving God and neighbors, getting baptized and taking care of others as you go through life....   and introducing others to him and his saving grace.                   Oh we have many things he has told us to do in this life, but the old commandments are not part of the second/new covenant.  

As for your scripture, consider who he is talking to and the timeframe....   it is actually prior to the giving of the second covenant...   to keep in context of what was happening, that person was at the time supposed to continue to keep old covenant commandments.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

Good morning everyone :)

I'm sitting here drinking a cup of coffee and having breakfast and enjoying your responses to this topic. This can be a very toxic :swordfightsmiles:and devisive subject. Nice to see all the respect :t2:.

I have been a Sabbath keeper and law keeper (The 10 Commandments not the Mosaic law) for about 12 years. Been a believer for over 40 years and am retired 16 years.

Keeping the Sabbath has been a huge blessing to me after so many years of study and research. It's wonderful to feel I'm in harmony with God and his wishes for my life as I continue to grow and change in my faith.

I'm not a devisive person and don't argue or "WRANGLE" over God's word, as we're commanded not to , and it's not my nature to argue, but if anyone has questions or wish to discuss the topic or ask why I honor the Sabbath, I'm willing to DISCUSS it with you in love:emot-heartbeat:

God bless in His love,

Dave

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

1 hour ago, other one said:

Actually yes I am saying we should not follow the Ten Commandments for they will give you a false sense of security and you might go to hell keeping them.

Jesus gave us two major commandments to follow instead of them...…    Love God with all your heart mind and soul, and second love your neighbor as yourself.

So tell me if you love your neighbor will you kill him...   if you love God will you misuse his name or worship idols.

See how your thinking of having a free pass of what laws to break is the problem...…     Jesus spiritualized the old commandments and with his two me made it mandatory  not to even want to break those.....    and the fourth he made a complete way of life and not a single day....    You can worship God any time anywhere all day long doing whatever you are endeavoring to do.   For 38 years he went with me to work for Xerox and we conversed all day long while I worked of office equipment.....   when I was stumped over some intermittent problem he would even show me what was wrong with it and on many occasions he just fixed the thing himself without my help....

When one tells everyone that Jesus is his/her Lord, we are committed to living a life that he has instructed.....    Loving God and neighbors, getting baptized and taking care of others as you go through life....   and introducing others to him and his saving grace.                   Oh we have many things he has told us to do in this life, but the old commandments are not part of the second/new covenant.  

As for your scripture, consider who he is talking to and the timeframe....   it is actually prior to the giving of the second covenant...   to keep in context of what was happening, that person was at the time supposed to continue to keep old covenant commandments.

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

The idea of the "old" law giving you a false security and not applying is completely false, as told by Jesus himself in Matthew 5.  Again, like every cop out of the new age of Christianity, you will say Jesus was speaking to the Jews so Matthew 5 does not apply to Christians.  There is a couple mistakes there;

1. All of Jesus ministry was to the Jews, as he said "Matthew 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel."  His ministry was first to Israel, then after he died he commanded the Apostles to spread his ministry to the gentiles, but the ministry the apostles spread was not different then what Jesus shared with the Jews.

2. The "new laws" are taken out of context, as he is explaining the mind set of the New Covenant, "Matthew 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Not that we are suppose to forget the law or not follow it, but as you said in a way, if you love God and neighbor you will not sin against them.  But the problem where you don't reach the full meaning, is that we as humans are born ignorant with no understanding or knowledge, so how do we know how to love God or neighbor?  How do we know what is good?  

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

I guess the real question is do you read the Bible?  If you read the Bible, why, if nothing in the Bible relates to you any more?  Jesus spent his entire life giving us commandments, parables, guidelines.  But that was all for the Jews, which they were suppose to follow for 30 years then forget, but we as Christians are suppose to follow 2 commandments "love God and love your neighbor" without context or meaning to how to love them.  You see these forms filled with people confused on how to be Christians that do use the Word of God, imagine the chaos if Jesus said "love" and died and we have to figure everything out ourselves.  It is once again...absurd.

As we have things explained by John "2 John 1:5 And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another. 6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it." Also by Paul explaining the same in, "Romans 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. 9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Why do we need to study, if we can just "love" and by "loving" we will be holy?  Couple of reasons we need to study, as stated before, so we can know who is good and what is evil.  "1 John 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.", so we learn from John we all sin, even as Christians we will sin how can we avoid sin if we are not studying the Word of God to know what we are suppose to do?  Clearly we can not just live by Love, because in the flesh we are naturally drawn to sin, "Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not."

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

5 hours ago, Still Alive said:

I've seen this as two issues for quite a while. The first is this: What does it mean to "keep the sabbath holy"

The second is this: Are Christians to separate (Make holy) one day every week as the Sabbath. 

To the second one I say this - Jesus is our sabbath. Also, others here have pointed out scripture regarding keeping one day over others.

Regarding the first one - Going to church and keeping a day as "sabbath" are two different things. Theoretically, a group could found a church that "keeps Saturday separate and does no work on that day", and yet goes to Church on Sunday.

For me, the whole thing is an exercise in getting into the weeds about stuff that was fairly well clarified in the new testament. It's a Jewish thing. It's a pre-Christian-age thing.  But that is just me.

It is not “ just you”........ Your last little paragraph was Biblical and right on the money....I’ve never heard it put better.....thanks....

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mal'ak said:

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

The idea of the "old" law giving you a false security and not applying is completely false, as told by Jesus himself in Matthew 5.  Again, like every cop out of the new age of Christianity, you will say Jesus was speaking to the Jews so Matthew 5 does not apply to Christians.  There is a couple mistakes there;

1. All of Jesus ministry was to the Jews, as he said "Matthew 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel."  His ministry was first to Israel, then after he died he commanded the Apostles to spread his ministry to the gentiles, but the ministry the apostles spread was not different then what Jesus shared with the Jews.

2. The "new laws" are taken out of context, as he is explaining the mind set of the New Covenant, "Matthew 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Not that we are suppose to forget the law or not follow it, but as you said in a way, if you love God and neighbor you will not sin against them.  But the problem where you don't reach the full meaning, is that we as humans are born ignorant with no understanding or knowledge, so how do we know how to love God or neighbor?  How do we know what is good?  

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

I guess the real question is do you read the Bible?  If you read the Bible, why, if nothing in the Bible relates to you any more?  Jesus spent his entire life giving us commandments, parables, guidelines.  But that was all for the Jews, which they were suppose to follow for 30 years then forget, but we as Christians are suppose to follow 2 commandments "love God and love your neighbor" without context or meaning to how to love them.  You see these forms filled with people confused on how to be Christians that do use the Word of God, imagine the chaos if Jesus said "love" and died and we have to figure everything out ourselves.  It is once again...absurd.

As we have things explained by John "2 John 1:5 And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another. 6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it." Also by Paul explaining the same in, "Romans 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. 9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Why do we need to study, if we can just "love" and by "loving" we will be holy?  Couple of reasons we need to study, as stated before, so we can know who is good and what is evil.  "1 John 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.", so we learn from John we all sin, even as Christians we will sin how can we avoid sin if we are not studying the Word of God to know what we are suppose to do?  Clearly we can not just live by Love, because in the flesh we are naturally drawn to sin, "Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not."

read Matthew chapter 25 starting about verse 30 and it lists people who are going to hell and why.....   you tell me which of the ten commandments those people broke.....

you keep posting to keep his commandments but which commandments is he referring to????        the ones that were broken in Matthew chapter are his two, not the ten.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

19 minutes ago, other one said:

are his two, not the ten.

Strange way to phrase it, as those two are in Torah, and are also the sum of the ten.  Not new commands or like "HIS two". 

Probably just bad phrasing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Strange way to phrase it, as those two are in Torah, and are also the sum of the ten.  Not new commands or like "HIS two". 

Probably just bad phrasing. 

he called the second a new commandment....   I'll take him at his word.....      btw it was that second that sent the goats to hell in Matthew 25....   don't take that lightly...

If you are going to do any part of the old covenant laws you have to do them all and Paul told us that was not what was expected of us;  not even circumcision itsels.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

12 hours ago, other one said:

he called the second a new commandment....   I'll take him at his word.....      btw it was that second that sent the goats to hell in Matthew 25....   don't take that lightly..

Commandment 1 is in Deut 6:5. Commandment 2 is in Levi 19:18.

If you're referring to the new commandment in John 13:34, that was not love your neighbour as yourself, part of the great two, but "love one another, as i have loved you".  This was about the church. Whereas the example he uses for neighbour in a parable was practically a stranger. 

12 hours ago, other one said:

If you are going to do any part of the old covenant laws you have to do them all and Paul told us that was not what was expected of us;  not even circumcision itsels

Then you haven't understood following the Torah by Spirit. I'm concerned if you have no part in them though, as even secular society still has a part in some of them. 

But I've been in this loop with you before, other one. I don't think there is much point going through it again. We can probably both predict how we will respond by now!  If it works for you, it works for you. 

Edited by Tzephanyahu

3 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

But I've been in this loop with you before, other one. I don't think there is much point going through it again. We can probably both predict how we will respond by now!  If it works for you, it works for you. 

Finally something we can agree on...

• Haha 1