IGNORED

Should Christian keep the Sabbath? And what day we should keep the Sabbath?

chargedbyfa1th

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,236
  • Topics Per Day:  0.50
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

On 8/5/2019 at 10:13 AM, chargedbyfa1th said:

Shalom...

Should we Christians keep the Sabbath? And what day we should keep the Sabbath? I'm still confused..

If you also have the Bible verse references please quote them.. :)

thank you..

Jesus bless you..

Is there anyone that keeps The Sabbath Day Holy, from Sunset on the 6th.Day/Friday until The ending of The 7th. Day at Sunset, on Saturday by The Gregorian Calendar.

If so being on one accord for that event to happen, We want to thank God for your Faith in doing just that as a start to perfection. Every Sabbath , Sabbath Scriptures: About Sabbath Scriptures , Sabbath Day In The KJV 

Sabbath Day, Please Read all. :)

Edited by Walter and Deborah
More info.

For me it is Sundays. I go to church, then cook a roast lunch. We relax, no significant work. A quiet restful day. 

It is very important to do this. An oasis from the week's labours. To recharge, spend time with God. At home after church.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

15 minutes ago, Melinda12 said:

For me it is Sundays. I go to church, then cook a roast lunch. We relax, no significant work. A quiet restful day. 

It is very important to do this. An oasis from the week's labours. To recharge, spend time with God. At home after church.  

Sounds inviting, and so does the roast. Speaking of inviting, can I come over this Sunday? Oh yeah, guess not. You're kinda far from here, and it's a bit of a drive. :rolleyes:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Act 20:7  On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech until midnight.

Acts 20:7

upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together — This, compared with 1Co 16:2, and other similar allusions, plainly indicates that the Christian observance of the day afterwards distinctly called “the Lord’s Day,” was already a fixed practice of the churches.  Jamison, Faucet & Brown.

Acts 20:7

Upon the first day of the week (en de miāi tōn sabbatōn). The cardinal miāi used here for the ordinal prōtēi (Mar 16:9) like the Hebrew ehadh as in Mar 16:2; Mat 28:1; Luk 24:1; Joh 20:1 and in harmony with the Koiné[28928]š idiom (Robertson, Grammar, p. 671). Either the singular (Mar 16:9) sabbatou or the plural sabbaton as here was used for the week (sabbath to sabbath). For the first time here we have services mentioned on the first day of the week though in 1Co 16:2 it is implied by the collections stored on that day. In Rev 1:10 the Lord’s day seems to be the day of the week on which Jesus rose from the grave. Worship on the first day of the week instead of the seventh naturally arose in Gentile churches, though Joh 20:26 seems to mean that from the very start the disciples began to meet on the first (or eighth) day. But liberty was allowed as Paul makes plain in Rom 14:5.

When we were gathered together (sunēgmenōn hēmōn). Genitive absolute, perfect passive participle of sunagō, to gather together, a formal meeting of the disciples. See this verb used for gatherings of disciples in Act 4:31; Act 11:26; Act 14:27; Act 15:6, Act 15:30; Act 19:7, Act 19:8; 1Co 5:4. In Heb 10:25 the substantive episunagōgēn is used for the regular gatherings which some were already neglecting. It is impossible for a church to flourish without regular meetings even if they have to meet in the catacombs as became necessary in Rome. In Russia today the Soviets are trying to break up conventicles of Baptists. They probably met on our Saturday evening, the beginning of the first day at sunset. So these Christians began the day (Sunday) with worship. But, since this is a Gentile community, it is quite possible that Luke means our Sunday evening as the time when this meeting occurs, and the language in Joh 20:19 “it being evening on that day the first day of the week” naturally means the evening following the day, not the evening preceding the day.

To break bread (klasai arton). First aorist active infinitive of purpose of klaō. The language naturally bears the same meaning as in Act 2:42, the Eucharist or the Lord’s Supper which usually followed the Agapē. See note on 1Co 10:16. The time came, when the Agapē was no longer observed, perhaps because of the abuses noted in 1Co 11:20. Rackham argues that the absence of the article with bread here and its presence (ton arton) in Act 20:11shows that the Agapē is ] referred to in Act 20:7and the Eucharist in Act 20:11, but not necessarily so because ton arton may merely refer to arton in Act 20:7. At any rate it should be noted that Paul, who conducted this service, was not a member of the church in Troas, but only a visitor.

Discoursed (dielegeto). Imperfect middle because he kept on at length.

Intending (mellō). Being about to, on the point of.

On the morrow (tēi epaurion). Locative case with hēmerāi understood after the adverb epaurion. If Paul spoke on our Saturday evening, he made the journey on the first day of the week (our Sunday) after sunrise. If he spoke on our Sunday evening, then he left on our Monday morning.  Robertson's Word Pictures.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

there has been a lot of confusion introduced by western commentators who forget that God's day begins at Sundown....not midnight  or dawn as we now mark it.

the first day of the  week begins on Saturday  night after sundown from our reckoning.   taking that into account gives the best rendering of the  above an understanding of a meal held after sundown on Saturday, after the Sabbath had closed and cooking and regular work was again allowed. 

When God's way of reckoning days is accounted for and the  Hebrew calendar is the one in view (instead of the  Gregorian system we're used to) it's really, really hard to defend ANY assertion that the  New Covenant changed anything about  appropriate days of the week to do anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Sounds inviting, and so does the roast. Speaking of inviting, can I come over this Sunday? Oh yeah, guess not. You're kinda far from here, and it's a bit of a drive. :rolleyes:

Lol! You like roast beef, then pudding of homemade apple pie and custard? I like cooking.  

From a health and well being angle, resting one day a week is just so good. Simple. God wants us to rest. Recharge. 

Then we live better all the more to praise him. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, Melinda12 said:

From a health and well being angle, resting one day a week is just so good. Simple. God wants us to rest. Recharge. 

Then we live better all the more to praise him. 

Thank you Melinda. I love this post so much :t2:.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

I'm sure that the reason that you ask the question is as one reply has noted Christians began meeting on Sunday in order to honor the resurrection. While I have no qualms with those who worship on Sunday, I don't believe that there is any Biblical reasoning for not honoring the sabbath and keeping it holy. Jesus honored the Sabbath and never instructed His disciples otherwise. He did in fact define what was and wasn't allowable on the Sabbath. In short he said it was OK to do good and do God's work and even necessary chores for living (like getting a lost lamb) so if He didn't expect us to honor the Sabbath, why would He define what we can and can't do? BTW the Sabbath is traditionally observed from dusk on Fri til dusk on Sat if I'm not mistaken.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,934
  • Content Per Day:  3.07
  • Days Won:  1

On 8/10/2019 at 6:08 AM, Melinda12 said:

i'm not trying to ruin your Sabbath,

Just sharing a link how the Jews spend their Sabbath :

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/95907/jewish/The-Shabbat-Laws.htm