When Someone Leads Prayer In Church

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

This is kind of a silly question. But I don't know what I am suppose to be saying in church prayer time when the pastor is leading the prayer. I just stand there and listen to the pastor pray and can't really pray myself, cause I need a quiet place to do that so I can focus.   I sometimes might say "yes Lord" if I am in agreement with something said in the prayer. But it is hard to think of what else I should say. Cause I can't get into focus. Anyone else have this issue? 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/24/1990

Dont say anything, pray in one Spirit by the Spirit with the rest of the group.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

12 hours ago, LadyKay said:

This is kind of a silly question. But I don't know what I am suppose to be saying in church prayer time when the pastor is leading the prayer. I just stand there and listen to the pastor pray and can't really pray myself, cause I need a quiet place to do that so I can focus.   I sometimes might say "yes Lord" if I am in agreement with something said in the prayer. But it is hard to think of what else I should say. Cause I can't get into focus. Anyone else have this issue? 

Hi,

Try going into a new to you church have the elder start a prayer and everybody just jump off to themselves everywhere in the sanctuary and also start praying aloud their own prayers.

That was a  recent experience of mine.

My wife tells me it is a common manner at some  of our Lord's church bodies.

When an elder/pastor leads a prayer aloud I listen and I may add silently, or I may even find I question if I am in agreement with it. Almost always I am, but on rare occasion I find I let one pass me by. I do not feel I need do anything, but if I do it is simply an affirmation grunt or an amen or yes thank you Lord for hearing your servant's prayer. 

Where I am now attending most of the time individuals are very free to feel comfortable in even applause or raise of a hand or whatever. One enthusiastic muscle man weight lifter pounds his fists together and raises his hand in a yes motion of amen.  

Please allow yourself comfort as prayer in corporate setting can be a real time of being aware of the hovering of the Holy Spirit among your group where two or three, or two or three thousand, are gathered.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Days Won:  0

As Beajangles says, listen to who ever is leading in prayer, indicate agreement if you want to by saying out loud 'Yes' or 'Amen' and when the prayer is finished if you agree, if he has said what you would want saying say a loud AMEN.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi,

Try going into a new to you church have the elder start a prayer and everybody just jump off to themselves everywhere in the sanctuary and also start praying aloud their own prayers.

That was a  recent experience of mine.

My wife tells me it is a common manner at some  of our Lord's church bodies.

When an elder/pastor leads a prayer aloud I listen and I may add silently, or I may even find I question if I am in agreement with it. Almost always I am, but on rare occasion I find I let one pass me by. I do not feel I need do anything, but if I do it is simply an affirmation grunt or an amen or yes thank you Lord for hearing your servant's prayer. 

Where I am now attending most of the time individuals are very free to feel comfortable in even applause or raise of a hand or whatever. One enthusiastic muscle man weight lifter pounds his fists together and raises his hand in a yes motion of amen.  

Please allow yourself comfort as prayer in corporate setting can be a real time of being aware of the hovering of the Holy Spirit among your group where two or three, or two or three thousand, are gathered.

Well. From what you said. It seems I am doing it right after all. :)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

5 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Hi @LadyKay,

You are doing exactly right in this manner. When someone is leading in prayer, it's a good thing to listen carefully to what they are requesting of the Lord. Agreeing with them with a quiet, "yes Lord" is perfectly fine. You aren't expected to do personal prayer at the same time, so it's no wonder why it's difficult to concentrate on any other thing at that point. All seems well, sister. God bless you.

Shalom,

David/BeauJangles

Thank You that is good to know. I thought there was something wrong with me. :clap:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34

19 hours ago, LadyKay said:

I pretty much ignore their prayer and silently say my own prayer. Well, that's what I do at my best. At my worst I'm wondering what I'm going to have for lunch.

I don't do very well with "group" prayer.

1 minute ago, Still Alive said:

At my worst I'm wondering what I'm going to have for lunch.

:24:   I do that too sometimes! 

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34

Just now, LadyKay said:

:24:   I do that too sometimes! 

Hey, we're only human. I'm not saying I'm proud of it. bit I'm just confessing. I also sometimes count how many times the person says "just".  This is why, when I'm asked to say the opening or closing prayer in Sunday school I am extremely brief. I take very seriously the warning against praying like the gentiles that think they will be heard "for their many words". I really try to get to the point and move on. I really try not to "sound pious".  I prefer to be conversational.