• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:49 PM, Addison said:

It's just not assuring to read something that I feel is against me.

1 John chapter 1 verse 8

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

James chapter 2 verse 10

For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
Romans chapter 3 verse 20

Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God's sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

It could be your translation, or it could be your aware of sin, everyone sins and continues to, the only one who never sinned that was human is Christ.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

On a related note, how do I actually enjoy Bible reading? I'm ashamed to admit to sometimes tuning out or preferring specific subject teachings...to the point where I just don't have the patience to sit with the scriptures chronologically ._.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  5

55 minutes ago, SurrenderedWife said:

On a related note, how do I actually enjoy Bible reading? I'm ashamed to admit to sometimes tuning out or preferring specific subject teachings...to the point where I just don't have the patience to sit with the scriptures chronologically ._.

When I discovered that the Bible went way beyond a collection of “ Do do this, and don’t do that”, it became much more enriching to read.Rules and lessons to be learned for a blessed life are gifts from God and I am not trying to downplay them, but the Bible is also full of Promises.Digging out these wonderful promises and trusting God to fulfill His Word is what faith is all about.Try to obey all the rules you can, they are for our own good- it pleases God and you will be blessed for your obedience.As commendable as rule observance is however.... it won’t get you saved and it won’t keep you saved.Believing the Promises Of God that He made about His Son is the only thing that will get you the Holy Spirit and without that, you are “NONE of His”.If one does not grow beyond “ read rule.....break rule....repent....start over...” you are on a misguided Walk of Faith.Find a Promise Of God, Believe it and act on it.....He will give you His Spirit and you will be “ONE” Of His.With the indwelling Holy Spirit, rule Keeping will come naturally. In short, obeying Laws will  NEVER get you that Spirit that is MANDANTORY for Salvation.Believing Promises WILL.That is Faith and “ without faith it is impossible to please God.Obedience to Laws May or may not lead to faith in Jesus that saves.Faith will not only get you the Holy Spirit you must have for Salvation ...... as a side benefit , you will FIND yourself living an obedient life without working so hard at it.God bless.

Here’s a nice Promise to get one started..... “ Anybody that asks to be saved will be saved”

Edited by Blood Bought 1953
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/6/2019 at 4:49 AM, Addison said:

Addison,

You wrote:

I got through 14 chapters today, from the book of Matthew. I would like to fully read the New Testament again, at least twice before the year's end.

This approach to the Word of GOD is wrong. Stop reading and start studying. And that from Genesis to Revelation, not just the New Testament only. Please understand the Word of GOD as One & Indivisible Truth. "Twice before the year's end" is just a waste of time. Slow down, would you? Are you sure you've got the Message of Genesis? Have a look at Martin Luther's "The Creation: A Commentary on the First Five Chapters of the Book of Genesis" or "Commentary on Genesis" by John Calvin. Or whatever other Christian Teachers. And that to be 100 percent acceptable, but to sharpen your mind.

All of the passages and parables though, about the enemy, the tare in the wheat, the unfruitful, the plank in the eye, the scattered seed or being the footstool, seemed to be more about myself than anyone else I could think of in my life.

This I like. You & I are led by the same Spirit. To see yourself in every negative person is a good Bible Study strategy. Why? Because this way we better understand what Jesus did for us on that cross.      

It not against you, but rather against the evil spirit(s) you allowed to mess everything up in your heart & mind. 

How can I change my thinking on this?

Good question. Your mind is a battlefield. Apostle Paul wrote a lot about that.

Addison, you are welcome to see my profile, visit my "Christian Mind" site, download "Q & A," and e-mail me.

GOD bless you. 

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Thank you. Yes I agree, we are not saved by works but by God's sacrifice at the cross. He PROMISED we would be saved in believing that. :) I believe His promise. There are some other promises I seize hold of now and again -such as "God you said you are not willing for any to perish!" or "All things are possible with you!" when I pray. It didn't seem to result in someone I prayed for instantly being saved though. xD... but my cat's chronic cough did stop permanently when I prayed this over her. O_o

Anyway, I will enjoy my Bible study looking for more of God's promises! :D I think what else is fun is seeing lots of foreshadowing of things to come - such as Abraham about to sacrifice his son, but God Himself provided the sacrifice. :emot-heartbeat: I like your idea of doing a commentary or pastor study of a passage/chapter/book before moving forward...

As a beginner, or someone like me who hasn't read their Bible cover to cover in many years, I'd want to quickly go through it once superficially to get the gist and then go back to the beginning and delve deeper.

Edited by SurrenderedWife

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 8/5/2019 at 11:49 PM, Addison said:

I got through 14 chapters today, from the book of Matthew.

I would like to fully read the New Testament again, at least twice before the year's end.

All of the passages and parables though, about the enemy, the tare in the wheat, the unfruitful, the plank in the eye, the scattered seed or being the footstool, seemed to be more about myself than anyone else I could think of in my life.

Please and thank you.

Hi, Just as a thought; might decide to read far more slowly, ponder, pray and think as well as research references within the Old Testament and cross references to other scrolls/ books, seek the commentary  of some scholars, and find perhaps one new thing, just one, to try and embrace each week or so.

By comparison; as a corporate group our local body of Christ spent six years reading and studying and finding application for us in the book of Matthew alone.

As I state just a thought.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

if you drive much then get a bible program that reads the Bible to you and you can listen while you drive..

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  307
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  04/06/1970

Yeah, I have it on audio for all of my electronic devices, even when they are offline. 

That's the real reason why I can rifle through the books so fast. 

• 9 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 8/6/2019 at 4:49 AM, Steffenfield said:

I got through 14 chapters today, from the book of Matthew.

I would like to fully read the New Testament again, at least twice before the year's end.

Please and thank you.

It is not about quickly eating lost of food that counts, its absorbing the flavour as you eat.

• Thumbs Up 1