• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

16 hours ago, Addison said:

I got through 14 chapters today, from the book of Matthew.

I would like to fully read the New Testament again, at least twice before the year's end.

All of the passages and parables though, about the enemy, the tare in the wheat, the unfruitful, the plank in the eye, the scattered seed or being the footstool, seemed to be more about myself than anyone else I could think of in my life.

It's just not assuring to read something that I feel is against me.

How can I change my thinking on this?

Please and thank you.

We can get ourselves into a lot of trouble. If we read the Bible, we can learn how to avoid doing that. That is not being against you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

On 8/6/2019 at 3:59 AM, AnOrangeCat said:

Bear in mind that the promises and good things in the Bible apply to you as much as the warnings, convictions, and so on. And finally, while it is good to set goals, reading the Bible isn't a race. We do it to grow closer to God, gain better understanding, to arm ourselves to deal with our problems, and to help others deal with theirs. It can be easier to digest and less overwhelming if taken in small portions. In short, read the quantity you're comfortable with reading in one sitting. If you feel led to read more, do so.

Hi AnOrangeCat,

I've been reading/studying the Book of Matthew for over a month now (everyday) and I'm in the middle of Chapter 9.  Maybe it's going slower because I'm going through it with my daughter and I want her to get a good understanding of what God is telling us. We go through several paragraphs at a time and I notice things sinking in better for me too.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

Addison,

I think everyone has posted great responses. Just want to encourage you and let you know that I when reading the Bible, I have also been convicted in my heart of my own sin and been made uncomfortable seeing something that I know applies to me. But that is why God's Word is so special . I like memorizing verses so such as the one below so I can call them up to my mind and remind myself that God does everything with is Loving wisdom to guide and teach us.

• 2 Timothy 3:16, "All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right."
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Think of it as a major blessing because God is speaking to you personally!! These are the things I SEEK OUT and pray for when I read his word to convict me and transform me. When God speaks to me I thank him for showing me and praise him that he is helping me become a new creation! Keep reading and let the word transform you 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

On 8/5/2019 at 10:49 PM, Addison said:

I would like to fully read the New Testament again, at least twice before the year's end.

All of the passages and parables though, about the enemy, the tare in the wheat, the unfruitful, the plank in the eye, the scattered seed or being the footstool, seemed to be more about myself than anyone else I could think of in my life.

Please and thank you.

Put it into practical use.

Study how to answer the cults, for example. Apologetics.

That was my inspiration / motivation at first, then how to witness to Jews

from just the Old Testament.

I also wore out a set of Bible on cassette tapes (that's how long ago I had this

voracious appetite to study the Bible). I believe I completed several dozen times through the whole Bible.

It took 72 hours to go through the whole Bible on cassette (Steven B. Stevens reads much faster than I) LOL .

There are topical Bibles etc.

Also find a translation that you understand best (or that you will simply read). I started out with NIV, then NASB, and I use KJV

mostly to teach and to witness as it is the most accessible to extended Bible software aps... also the KJV is the oldest translation in (popular) English

translation. All translations have "difficulties" but the older ones are more readily known so we can go to the Greek a find that the word "prevent" in

1 Thessalonian 4:15  doesn't mean halt or forestall but to pre-advent / arrive ahead of time.

Once you get the gist of what the Word of God is about, it is easy for the Holy Spirit to guide you through the multiple English translation.

That brings up another good point. Where to begin. This one is less about where you or I are comfortable with beginning or where we simply choose to begin.

The point  being made here is that we are to begin with the knowledge and vantage point that the Holy Spirit wrote the Bible (through the prophets he directly 

inspired) and he alone is the interpreter of the Bible.  Without this starting place, everyone will learn eventually they climbed up the wrong theological ladder.

2 Peter 1:20–21 (AV)
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

1 John 4:1 

Acts 17:11

2 Timothy 3:16-17

Deuteronomy 29:29

Proverbs 25:2

Isaiah 28:9-13

1 Thessalonian 5:21

Deuteronomy 12:32 (the Law)

Proverbs 30:5-6 (the Writings)

Revelation 22:18-19 (the Prophets)

It's amazing how scripture reading and study comes alive once you allow God to tell his own story.

The Bible is an integrated message system engineered by the Holy Spirit to get the message of Jesus Christ

across to the lost in this dying sinful world.  The Old Testament contains the New Testament concealed. 

The New Testament contains the Old Testament revealed.

If you have questions about anything, write them down. Pray for the Holy Spirit to enlighten you.

When he answers be sure to write it down next to the question. Journaling is a good way to study the Bible.

Edited by JohnD
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

Hello Addison :)

It's nice to hear your reading your bible and searching out God's truth :t2: for yourself.

When I first became a Christian, reading the bible and understanding it was way over my head and confusing. A totally different language and words I didn't understand.

But I had several guys in my church that helped me through the first few years and that really helped a lot. If you go to a small enough church maybe you could find some older man there to mentor you for a while. My pastor helped me too, by meeting me at a restaurant before work and fed me the word of God as we ate.:emot-prettywink:

That was over 40 years ago and I'm so glad they started me out on the right path and helped me understand properly.

I have already prayed for you.

Don't forget this is for the rest of your life and it takes time to make sense of things and apply them to your life. God is very patient and loves you very much and understands where you are and will help you on your path through the bible and through life. He's a wonderful caring God who wants your very best.

Your in my prayers - Dave

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Members *
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  341
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

On 8/6/2019 at 1:49 PM, Addison said:

Please and thank you.

u could try becoming a better person, the bible is about first dealing with sin, and then becoming more righteous and christ like, u start by praying to God about the forgiveness of sin, then u see what u can do for him and others.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

On 8/5/2019 at 8:49 PM, Addison said:

Please and thank you.

God doesn't want us to become self righteous, but to lean wholly on His grace, knowing that except for the life of Jesus dwelling in us, that we are just a hand full of dirt.  God demonstrates His love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.  

Rom 4:5  But to him who doesn’t work, but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  307
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  04/06/1970

One thing I do need work on is that whenever I read the Bible, I feel like I'm cramming for finals.

I just can't seem to take it slow on this.

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

On 8/6/2019 at 4:49 AM, Addison said:

Please and thank you.

Take time to listen to Dr. Michael Heiser. 'UNSEEN REALM' on YouTube is very illumination and will give you a new perspective and direction. Study the COSMOLOGY of God and His way of revealing this in scriptures.

• Thumbs Up 1