Propitiation

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

Is Jesus the propitiation for the sins of the whole world? If so, what does it mean that Jesus is the propitiation for the sins of the whole world?

Edited by plo1988

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,810
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Propitiate means to soothe, calm, appease, or satisfy someone and to me the implication is after someone has been wronged.

So with Jesus Christ being the propitiation for our sins, it means that he and he alone satisfied God's wrath against sinners and appeased God in a way that we NEVER could. 

If Jesus had never become the propitiation for OUR sins - we would all burn in hell.

Propitiation - satisfying God's wrath - it's a VERY big deal....

...as well as a big word!

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,644
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Jesus Christ died once for all human sin (Hebrews 10:10).

All mankind (1 Timothy 4:10 / 1 John 2:2).

Shoots Calvinism down.

The Predestinatio0n / Election is in the clause "who soever will" believe in the Lord Jesus Christ shall be saved. Who soever does not is condemned already.

Just that simple.

The salvation Jesus paid for each of us is activated by our faith. Think of it like having an unlimited credit card which you cannot access until you activate it.

Jesus is the potential Savior of ALL mankind.

He is the actual Savior of only those who believe in him.

John 3:16-18, Ephesians 2:8-10

and so on. 

• Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

An important part of Christ's saving work is deliverance  from God's wrath. Jesus' propitiation on the cross is the only thing that can turn away God's divine condemnation of sin. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,559
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

9 hours ago, Lee_ said:

Is Jesus the propitiation for the sins of the whole world? If so, what does it mean that Jesus is the propitiation for the sins of the whole world?

Thank you Lee for the thread question that has led me to look up and spend time this AM with "the prince of preachers" at

https://www.spurgeongems.org/vols7-9/chs373.pdf

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,559
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

"An important part of Christ's saving work is deliverance from God's wrath; Jesus' propitiation on the cross is the only thing that can turn away God's divine condemnation of sin.  Those who reject Christ as their Savior and refuse to believe in Him have no hope of salvation." -From a search engine list of links this one directs to Got Questions

The above  quote appears in a box that comes up when searching propitiation online, it is also a part of a link to Got Questions. Interestingly enough the phrase "an important part of" does not seem to  appear in the actual presentation  by Got Questions that the link connects one with.

I looked for it as I wondered about the use of the word "part" as though there is more. "An important part of". ??? What else would or could be added to Christ's work on the Cross for "propitiation" ?
The sacrifice on the cross is only part? ??? I wondered what were the writer(s) implying, but did not find it in the actual presentation by Got Questions.

Perhaps the link  writers do not read the contents of what they are linking, is that a possibility?   Did I just miss it in the actual Got Questions presentation, not the link enticement to go to it, what else is important that the cross ( actually the shed blood of Jesus shed at the cross) is just a part? ???

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,142
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The walk of hardship: lack, toil in futility, loss, suffering of pain, alone, unloved etc... is summarized by The Lord

Matt 7:12-13

12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
KJV
It is even specified in devotion of heart

Luke 14:26-27

26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
KJV

The heart we began with could not be moved toward this life style... but the propitiation / the satisfaction for the payment of sin has allowed God to offer us a new heart that can....

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

14 hours ago, Lee_ said:

"Paid". "Satisfied an angry God, calmed an angry God down".

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

19 hours ago, Lee_ said:

I don't know that "propitiation" is the right word. I look at it as a ransom. Jesus us ransomed us from Satan by living a sinless life, and then allowing himself to be killed.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

16 hours ago, JohnD said:

Jesus Christ died once for all human sin (Hebrews 10:10

Shoots Calvinism down.

Doesn't exactly make Arminianism look too spiffy either. For instance, getting saved, and just to be sure you're saved, better get saved again, just to sure you're saved, or else you're not gonna be saved. :rolleyes:

• Thumbs Up 1