how to cope with a past..

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,276
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Always remember 1 John 1:9 and take it to your heart.   You are forgiven and cleansed from all unrighteousness!

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

6 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

For me my past ( intimiate) past is kind of eating away at me. It makes me uncomfortable and extremely insecure.

Though it may not be as bad as the norm its still enough to affect me. This is one of the main reasons I don't really 

go to church because I feel I stick out like a sore thumb, no one treats me different--everyone is cordial but it's just me in my own head judging myself amongst others. I also try to pursue higher education in hopes my degrees can cover up my mistakes or atleast soften the blow.

I really do wish i could erase what I did but I can't-- so how do you deal with it?

You should deal with it the same way God does — Put it on the Cross....and LEAVE it there......why dredge up old sins He doesn’t even remember anymore.Satan’s little buddies are having a field day messing with your mind.Satan is “ the accuser of the brethren”.Jesus is the forgiver of the Brethern.Satan is the “Father Of Lies, There is NO Truth in Him. Jesus IS Truth.So who should you listen to?Go with God, Who when Satan gets done wasting his time reminding God of your sins, will reply to Satan—- What sins? I can’t seem to remember them since the Blood of My Son defeated you at the Cross.I can guarantee your sins would pale in comparison to mine.....give yourself a break. Read about Lot, David, Paul......the list goes on......all of them are forgiven and considered heroes......perhaps it is too late for us to be considered “ heroes of morality” Maybe we can be heroes of faith though, in our own small way.Start that walk of faith by Trusting God .Your sins are on the Cross . The price has been fully paid.Believe it!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,243
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

I really do wish i could erase what I did but I can't-- so how do you deal with it?

Forget it! (quit thinking about it-avoid morbid introspection) and move on with your life.

Take every thought CAPTIVE.  Develop a habit (do it over and over)  of immediately examining thoughts,
and tell yourself  "NO!" I'm not going there. I'm forgiven. Then praise God for something, anything.
You can do this. But only if you choose to. (
Choose you this day who you will serve)

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just,
whatsoever things are
pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue,
and if there be any
praise,             think on these things!!

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

15 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

Hi, I had much  to state but I erased it all; for "Jesus Paid It All". 

1. I hear the Savior say,
    “Thy strength indeed is small;
    Child of weakness, watch and pray,
    Find in Me thine all in all.”Refrain:
    • Jesus paid it all,
      All to Him I owe;
      Sin had left a crimson stain,
      He washed it white as snow.
  2. For nothing good have I
    Whereby Thy grace to claim;
    I’ll wash my garments white
    In the blood of Calv’ry’s Lamb.
  3. And now complete in Him,
    My robe, His righteousness,
    Close sheltered ’neath His side,
    I am divinely blest.
  4. Lord, now indeed I find
    Thy pow’r, and Thine alone,
    Can change the *leper’s spots [*leopard’s]
    And melt the heart of stone.
  5. When from my dying bed
    My ransomed soul shall rise,
    “Jesus died my soul to save,”
    Shall rend the vaulted skies
  6. And when before the throne
  7. I stand in Him complete,
    I’ll lay my trophies down,
    All down at Jesus’ feet.   - Elvina Hall 1865
  8. My favorite musician  Fernando Ortega has a wonderful version of it on You Tube that I play often. Might you also to be blessed by it?  I pray that it does bless your very soul.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

15 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

For me my past ( intimiate) past is kind of eating away at me. It makes me uncomfortable and extremely insecure.

Though it may not be as bad as the norm its still enough to affect me. This is one of the main reasons I don't really 

go to church because I feel I stick out like a sore thumb, no one treats me different--everyone is cordial but it's just me in my own head judging myself amongst others. I also try to pursue higher education in hopes my degrees can cover up my mistakes or atleast soften the blow.

When we repent of our sin, there might be a period where we question whether or not our repentance is real. After that the burden of guilt disappears, I think.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi again, I guess I do still have something to suggest: Don't try to forget the past, simply own it and proclaim the Glory of God through the redemption price paid  for it by Jesus. Be excited that God has so loved you ( and me) that His Son willingly took  away the penalty of it. He took it on himself.  Don't deny that by not remembering the past. Instead rejoice in Jesus.

Forgiving our selves by ourselves is not a possibility. But with Jesus it is already done as far as God is concerned. What others may think, hey that is their problem and their burden don't pick it up for them if they try to hold it  against  you. Instead say yes that was me, and now I am free  of it's eternal consequences by Jesus and by Jesus alone. Praise God!

Then make all those forward plans you desire,  but do so with prayer that what you will be doing will be done to the glory of God who has set you free from your past and is granting you a future  as one of His soldiers in the army of Jesus.

Enjoy the awesome power of God; He has already set us free to be His bond-servant. None, except two perhaps, have ever been His that were perfect all the rest of us, have a long long list of sin that is fully covered by the suffering of our Lord Jesus for us. That we should not just forget as if it never happened. It did happen. And it is grand testimony of the love of God for us that He has taken it all on Himself, paid it's consequence, which is death,  in full. God through His Son has reconciled the impossible. He has taken that which is flawed ( us) and made it to be seen as perfect in His sight. Jesus is the reconciler that has redeemed us. He has already paid for us, don't pay twice, and don't deny that it happened by denying the sin nor forgetting it. Rejoice rejoice rejoice and know what it is  that each of us is rejoicing in.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.34

On 8/8/2019 at 1:32 PM, Figure of eighty said:

i have had the same thoughts and feelings but it could be just perfectionism. Yes, the Word says Be perfect as the Father in Heaven is perfect but Jesus knows we will never be absolutely, completely perfect. Loving and obeying the Perfect One is about all we can do sometimes.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Oh please help. Dealing with past is one of my daily struggles.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 minute ago, Kevin McCabe said:

It's a little unusual to post a plea for help on someone else's topic, but not out of the question, however. So, what's up with you, Kevin? Care to expound on these feelings?  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,274
  • Content Per Day:  0.62

9 minutes ago, Kevin McCabe said:

If you are talking about general anxiousness and regret here is good way to deal with it. The mind will randomly take a regret and run with it. Like a hamster in a wheel constantly repeating itself. Many of these "wheels" will aggregate together and become overwhelming for you. This functions is important to learn from mistakes and be prepared, but at the cost of a quite mind that can hear the leaves in the distant trees. The main function of the conscience mind is to coordinate the skeletal muscles to keep the body alive. No ideals are generated by the waking mind. Ideas come from the subconsciousness and are generated in advance and handed to you to act upon. The first thing to do is to get the conscience mind to let go of the guilt of the past. You are forgiven thanks to the offering of Jesus Christ and the help from His Holy Spirit.

Method one: Breathe your troubling ideal into your lungs. Then exhale, letting it dissipate into the air. Let go of the bread and trust God will take things where they need to go upon the waters. Do this exercise repeatedly until the regret is removed from your conscience. Then do this for the next regret that presents itself and so on.  You will be surprised how many layers there are. Tackle each one in turn and do this when needed. It gets more effective over time. Do not hide your light under a basket of guilt. Let Gods kindness be your defining characteristic.

Method two: Before you go to bed willfully and with authority ask your mind to deal with a regret and store it away in a proper place away from you. Dreams help organize ideals for the mind and a big part of this process is to detach your feelings from information. Have you ever been told to sleep on a problem? I find it is the last dream you have in the dream cycle that deals with the specific problems you want solved. So, a full nights sleep is very important. Use breathing exercise described before to quite your thoughts for sleep. Rebuke them in the name of Jesus if the ideals are too persistent. 

In conclusion, God has everything prepared before you. This happened even before the world was made. You are not the general manager of the universe. It is okay to let go, your problems will be solved in the natural course of time by Gods hand. Be patient and at peace, walking with full confidence the Holy Spirit is there for you. Watch as He organizes your needs with the world around you and be amazed.