• Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,582
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

Shalom gadol, "Great Peace," to all.

Two terms closely associated with "salvation" are "gospel" and "kingdom."

First, let's recognize that "gospel" is an older English word that means "good news" or "good story." Another form was "gōdspel" and also "gospell." Here's a dictionary on "gospel":

gospel | ˈɡäspəl | 

noun 

1 the teaching or revelation of Christ: it is the Church's mission to preach the gospel
• (also gospel truth) a thing that is absolutely true: they say it's sold out, but don't take that as gospel
• a set of principles or beliefs: the new economics unit has produced what it reckons to be the approved gospel

2 (Gospel) the record of Jesus' life and teaching in the first four books of the New Testament. 
• each of the first four books of the New Testament. 
• a portion from one of the Gospels read at a church service. 

The four Gospels ascribed to St. Matthew, St. Mark, St. Luke, and St. John all give an account of the ministry, crucifixion, and resurrection of Christ, although the Gospel of John differs greatly from the other three. There are also several later, apocryphal accounts that are recorded as Gospels.

3 (also gospel music) a fervent style of black American evangelical religious singing, developed from spirituals sung in Southern Baptist and Pentecostal Churches: [as modifier] :  gospel singers.

ORIGIN 

Old English gōdspel, from gōd ‘good’ + spel ‘news, a story’ (see spell2), translating ecclesiastical Latin bona annuntiatio or bonus nuntius, used to gloss ecclesiastical Latin evangelium, from Greek euangelion ‘good news’ (see evangel); after the vowel was shortened in Old English, the first syllable was mistaken for god ‘God’.

So, the word by itself is too general to have a specific definition; however, in the Scriptures the general word has the Greek spelling of "euaggelion," or as written above, "euangelion," since the "gamma-gamma" consonant blend gives the "ng" sound.

2098 euaggelion (yoo-ang-ghel'-ee-on). From the same as euaggelizoo; a good message, i.e. The gospel
-- gospel.

2097 euaggelizoo (yo0-ang-ghel-id'-zo). From eu and aggelos; to announce good news ("evangelize") especially the gospel
-- declare, bring (declare, show) glad (good) tidings, preach (the gospel).

2095 eu (yoo). Neuter of a primary eus (good); (adverbially) well
-- good, well (done).

32 aggelos (ang'-el-os). From aggelloo (probably derived from agoo; compare agelee) (to bring tidings); a messenger; especially an "angel"; by implication, a pastor
-- angel, messenger.

Mark 1:1 says,

Mark 1:1-3 (KJV)

1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;

2 As it is written in the prophets,
"Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee." (Mal. 3:1.)
3 "The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight." (Isa. 40:3.)

The Greek of verse 1 is ...

1 Archee tou euaggeliou Ieesou Christou Huiou Theou

Every word in the verse, except for the first word, is in the genitive case, and quite often the genitive case is used to show possession.

In a few versions of the Bible, this is translated "the gospel ABOUT Jesus Christ Son of God." I believe the more accurate version would have "God's Son Jesus Christ's gospel." I believe that the genitive of Yeshua` means that the gospel belongs to Him; it's HIS gospel. Later in the same chapter, we read:

Mark 1:14-15 (KJV)

14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, 15 And saying,

"The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel."

Notice that He is not explaining what the gospel is; He just says "repent (change your mind; turn around 180 degrees), and BELIEVE it!" He DOES, however, preach ("herald" as a town crier) the gospel of the KINGDOM OF GOD. And, He said, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand." That phrase "at hand" doesn't mean that "it's here"; it means that it is "within your grasp!" It's at the door, ready to come in!

So, why didn't He explain what this gospel was? It wasn't necessary! EVERY JEW KNEW what it was! They read about it at least once a year! 

Isaiah 52:1-10 (KJV)

1 Awake, awake; put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean.

2 Shake thyself from the dust; arise, and sit down, O Jerusalem: loose thyself from the bands of thy neck, O captive daughter of Zion.

3 For thus saith the LORD,

"Ye have sold yourselves for nought; and ye shall be redeemed without money."

4 For thus saith the Lord GOD,

"My people went down aforetime into Egypt to sojourn there; and the Assyrian oppressed them without cause. 5 Now therefore, what have I here," saith the LORD, "that my people is taken away for nought? they that rule over them make them to howl," saith the LORD; "and my name continually every day is blasphemed (belittled). 6 Therefore my people shall know my name: therefore they shall know in that day that I am he that doth speak: behold, it is I."

7 How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!

8 Thy watchmen shall lift up the voice; with the voice together shall they sing: for they shall see eye to eye, when the LORD shall bring again Zion.

9 Break forth into joy, sing together, ye waste places of Jerusalem: for the LORD hath comforted his people, he hath redeemed Jerusalem.

10 The LORD hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation (rescue) of our God.

And, verse 7 was partially quoted and translated into Greek in Romans 10:15:

Romans 10:11-15 (KJV)

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. (Joel 2:32.)

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher (a herald or town crier)? 15 And how shall they preach (herald), except they be sent? as it is written,

"How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!" (Isa. 52:7a.)

More to come....